Atkins Diet? Tell me what I need to know

Options
Im considering starting a low carb diet.
I watched the youtube video on your body coverting your fat to energy instead of carbs,

Tell me the pros and cons please!!

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    if you pick the correct foods, you eat HUGE plates of food. Things like butter and steak are encouraged instead of discouraged!

I am not even near induction levels (20g of carbs daily) but I am losing a lb a week now where I was NOT losing at all when I ate a *normal* amount of carbs ( ~200g or more daily).
  • LiliamG
    LiliamG Posts: 34
    Options
    I did the Atkins diet ... I went down 30 pounds in 15 days ... but went straight to the hospital ... and guess what? rebound effect ... beware .. unhealthy eating only proteins .. it is best to eat plenty of fruit, lots of water and lots of vegetables with lean meats ...
  • sarahjuneblanke
    sarahjuneblanke Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks Liliam , these helped put diets into perspective for me! ive been taught they are very dangerous!

Im going to stick to my healthy plan, and not cheat anymore -.-
    I agree, lots of water,fruits,veggies and lean meats =) thats what ive been taught!

Theres no way im gonna feel healthy eating lots of steak and butter.
  • rukus1
    rukus1 Posts: 112
    Options
    You've made a wise decision...anyone that is a carb freak will gain all of their weight back plus more...its not a lifetime diet.
  • sarahjuneblanke
    Options
    Thank you =)
    Im trying to choose health over temptation
    fast results are definately tempting
    but i would rather be healthy
  • Mels707
    Mels707 Posts: 101
    Options
    I do think it's reasonable to try and lower your carbs. Atkins, etc calls for like 20g of carb a day, while MFP will probably set you around 250 or so. I find that a balance of macronutrients...usually with carb around 100 g keeps me happy and satisfied. I feel gross and miserable if my carbs are too low, but at the same time if most of my food is carb I tend to eat a lot more because it's not as satisfying.

Everyone is different, but I lose consistently eating about 40% carb, and 30 each from protein and fat, give or take. Also, I almost never go over on carb, but I don't sweat going over on protein/fat.

Much of my fat is the so called "good" kind (avocado, olive oil, nuts), but I do love my butter and I eat a lot of eggs and meat.

As for carb, I eat tons of veggies/fruit, and focus the rest on the stuff I personally love, such as bread. I can live without potatoes/rice, so I do.

Above all, this is a lifestyle, so you have to find the balance that works well for you and keeps you happy.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Avoid all of the low carb diet products you see (including the Atkins brand), eat whole, "real" foods and understand that once you lose all of your weight you can increase your carbs some but you can't go back to eating bread and pasta everyday. If you can't maintain this way of eating don't start because the weight will come back with a vengeance just like any other diet.

A more moderate approach of say keeping your carbs under 100g a day for a month or two might be a way to test the waters and see how you do.

The biggest benefit I've experienced personally from eating a low carb, high fat diet is more energy, excellent appetite control (I eat every 5-7 hours now and don't feel the need to snack) and faster weight loss -- your mileage may vary.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Even diabetics needs at least 130 g of carbs a day.

I like the Atkins hazelnut chocolate bar, and that is where it stops. . . I just keep it between the MFP recommendations. Nothing weird, and you'll get there. I hate restrictions!!!!
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Doesn't it give you bad breath and horrible constipation? Doesn't seem like the best thing to do when you can lose weight while being on a completely non-restrictive diet.
  • sarahjuneblanke
    Options
    Thanks guys ,
    I always try and keep my carbs around 150
    I excercise alot now so im pretty sure as long as i stick with it, ill be fine =)
  • sarahjuneblanke
    Options
    Doesn't it give you bad breath and horrible constipation? Doesn't seem like the best thing to do when you can lose weight while being on a completely non-restrictive diet.

Yes, thats why im very against doing diets, it seemed cool at first when they were explaining it,
    but it seems apparent to me that I just need to eat a well rounded balanced diet, drink lots of water, and exercise more when i want faster weight loss. Its works GREAt when i stick to it.

I just gotta stop cheating..

haha
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Im considering starting a low carb diet.
    I watched the youtube video on your body coverting your fat to energy instead of carbs,

Tell me the pros and cons please!!

I began my remodeling program with 2 weeks of a slightly modified South Beach phase I diet, mostly because I had a ton of water weight to get rid of and low carb diets are good for that. I lost 15 pounds in 2 weeks. After that I switched to a moderate carb diet - around 150 g or less - and began counting calories. I didn't rebound, though I did see a drastic drop in the rate of loss once the swelling in my feet and ankles went away.

I kind of enjoyed the two weeks on South Beach because I never intended to stay on it any longer than that and I do love vegetables. I would have killed for a bagel by the end of it, though.
  • courtneylee31
    courtneylee31 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I did the atkins diet a few years back and managed to lose 60-70 pounds in just over a year. Ya it was great and decently fast weight loss, but it wasn't something I could stick to forever. I find now that what I'm doing (calorie counting) works fine for me. Remember its not a race when it comes to weight loss, and there isn't much worse than alot of loose saggy skin at the end. I did research on the atkins diet for months before I started it. I wouldn't be the type of person to tell you not to do it, but I just think there are better and healthier ways out there to get the weight off. Another thing is the way the atkins diet is now, its been so revised its not really even the original the doctor intended people to follow. If you want to know more about it, feel free to send me a message.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I went on the Atkins Diet about 18 years ago and lost 40 pounds in 12 weeks. Obviously I didn't keep it off, or I wouldn't be here now. I liked the diet because I like most protein/fat based foods (meat, eggs, cheese, etc.), but I couldn't sustain the low-carb lifestyle indefinitely.

I didn't have any problem with "brain fog" or lack of energy, but I encountered some serious digestive upsets during the <20g/day carbs "induction" phase (i.e., don't ever let yourself be too far from a toilet!). Later on, I discovered that "cheat days" with sudden high-carb intakes could have some serious consequences (again - don't be too far from a toilet!).

I found low-carb a lot more endurable and less miserable than low-fat, but an overall balanced diet works better for me and is easier to adhere to than either of them.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I don't know about anyone else but I don't have bad breath or experience any constipation at all.

In theory I can agree that a restrictive diet sounds harder to live with but in practice not being hungry all the damn time is worth its weight in gold. I'd pay to feel like this and all the while I'm losing weight faster and improving my health markers more than the "healthy" whole grain diet I was following before?! It's a no brainer -- keep your sugar and grains. :laugh:

ETA:
    Blueberries, strawberries, lettuce, tomatoes, celery, onions, garlic and cabbage are the fruits and vegetables I've eaten or plan to eat today. I used to eat a lot more fruit and vegetables than I do now (because I was always hungry and trying to fill myself up) but by no means does a low carb diet mean you can't eat fruits and vegetables.

Just thought I'd throw that out there since I consider my diet to be a healthy one and not something to do to lose weight fast regardless of health -- cutting out grains was motivated by health concerns, the faster weight loss and normal appetite are just a bonus. I also follow a generic low carb, high fat diet and not the Atkins diet specifically.
  • mkup04
    mkup04 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I would not recommend the Atkins. He was in the right direction but a lil off. He does not count sugar alcohols in the carbs and don't quote be on this one but I do not believe that diet recommends lean meats. Also, once you bring the carbs back in you will gain alot!

If you are not sedentary and you exercise a lot the I would not recommend a low carb diet, as you need the carbs for fuel. I have fought with a lot of things like thyroid issues, pcos, no-low energy and found The Metabolism Miracle. I LOVE IT! Since I have been on that route I have lost about 40 lbs. I started about 3 months ago. It is tough in the start but you will feel GREAT! W/ Metabolism Miracle you slowly reintroduce carbs back in and there is a maintanace mode.

Good Luck with whatever direction you decide to take!
  • mkup04
    mkup04 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    @ Alabasterverv - Veggies are so low carb they do not even count. Go crazy accept, potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn and peas. They are higher in sugar. You can have fruit but you need to count it in your carb intake and see it as a treat.
  • leska1216
    leska1216 Posts: 260
    Options
    :smile: You found the Metabolism Miracle.

What is the metabolism miracle?
  • jsabet
    jsabet Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Forget Atkins, the principles are simple and everyone loves the idea "hey i can eat fatty stuff, not count calories and get away with it?!" Well nothin easy ever lasts, the only way to make Atkins last is to have kidneys an a liver that can process that amount of bad fats for the rest of your life. If you can for the rest of your life.

The same results + healthier outcome can be found by eliminating simple carbs (sugar, starches, breads, grains, and wheat products) from your diet. You aren't saying "Fairwell" forever. You will always have your cheat days.

Just remember to eat greens, they have complex carbohydrates and the stuff your body needs. Proteins should be lean. My only bit of advice is to also ditch dairy for a while while your body adjusts - and to be careful in not eating too much fruit. Even natural sugar can be detrimental to your carb count. Which should be less than 35g of carbs a day. (different for everyone, you can test your ketone production at varying grams of carbs with ketone strips, you can find them in the diabetic section of a pharmacy).

Essentially you go through 3 days of low blood sugar/ body adjustment. It's bad the first time you go through it, but it gets easier and easier. On day three or four you have all your energy back, and you are fully burning. Bread, pizza, candy, and everything simple carb filled will look like a wet brick and completely unappetizing.

If you eat more than your burn amount of carbs your body might need a few days to get back on track. What I do, is give myself a cheat day every 2 to 3 weeks. Eat everything horrible, candybars, wedding cakes, pizza etc etc. I find I feel sick very quickly and now I see my cheat days as a thing I don't like. The cheat day also gives your metabolism a nice shock of life.

Aitkins is a crash diet based on real science - what I'm advising you to do is the healthier alternative, and one you could live the rest of your life doing without problem. Im aware that I didn't get into the real science above, I'm typing on my phone and am being lazy.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys ,
    I always try and keep my carbs around 150
    I excercise alot now so im pretty sure as long as i stick with it, ill be fine =)

I do 1500 cals, 150 carbs, 110 protein, 50 fat. lots of exercise. works well x