Plastic Surgery

Options
MartinaC32
MartinaC32 Posts: 63 Member
I've lost a considerable amount of weight (80 lb) but still have about 30lb to go. (they seem to be taking their sweet time coming off).

It's bittersweet because I feel SO much better and can do SO much more but I also have to hide under clothing. My stomach is a wretched mess. Stretch marks from having children and gaining so much weight since then. Stretch marks on my legs.

The excess skin on my legs, arms and stomach is probably 3-4 feet long if you sewed it all together. I can't wear cute tank tops because my bat wings are disgusting. They flap when I exercise. Ugh just gross

I can't afford to have all the procedures done at once, it would cost me an arm and a leg (which would defeat the purpose. ha ha) So I'm just wondering what you would have done first if you had to choose: Tummy tuck, arms, or thighs and butt lift?

Replies

• cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I've lost a considerable amount of weight (80 lb) but still have about 30lb to go. (they seem to be taking their sweet time coming off).

It's bittersweet because I feel SO much better and can do SO much more but I also have to hide under clothing. My stomach is a wretched mess. Stretch marks from having children and gaining so much weight since then. Stretch marks on my legs.

The excess skin on my legs, arms and stomach is probably 3-4 feet long if you sewed it all together. I can't wear cute tank tops because my bat wings are disgusting. They flap when I exercise. Ugh just gross

I can't afford to have all the procedures done at once, it would cost me an arm and a leg (which would defeat the purpose. ha ha) So I'm just wondering what you would have done first if you had to choose: Tummy tuck, arms, or thighs and butt lift?

Surgery to remove excessive skin (and in some cases some of the fat as well) due to weigh loss is often referred to having a Panniculectomy.

Ive known surgeons who will do a combination of thigh and abdomen because of how they do 'meet' anatomically-speaking.

Personally speaking for me.. I would do the whole damn thing at once... one shot, be done and over with it... lol!!!!

What did your Plastic Surgeon recommend for you, out of curiosity?
  • Taryn1627
    Taryn1627 Posts: 120
    Options
    my arms would be first! i'm having a huge self esteem issue with them but i want to lose another 40 pounds before i get anything done for the extra skin
  • 4myhealth77
    4myhealth77 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I would start some heavy lifting to add muscle. Then, give yourself a year after you reach your goal weight and then see where you are at to see which area (if any) still needs plastic surgery. Ive heard alot of people do this and change their mind because it doesnt look so bad after that.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I considered having my arms done, but at $4200 out-of-pocket, I've pretty well made peace with wearing long sleeves for the rest of my life. :-/ For the rest of the stuff, there's Spanx.

I AM relieved to know I'm not the only person struggling with the loose skin issue.
  • misundrztood
    Options
    I agree. I have read that it can tale up to 2 years for your skin to shrink back depending on your age and genetics. I'm going to wait and hopefully avoid surgery.
  • DebbieMc3
    DebbieMc3 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't even considfer surgery until 2 things happened.
    1- I stayed at my goal weight for 2 years
    2 - I worked out 3-5 times per week in those 2 years.

I've lost 100 lbs twice. 80% of people who lose more then 50 lbs gain it back. I would be 100% certain that I wouldn't gain any weight back and that I did everything in my power to tighten, tone, build, and strengthen before having surgery.

Then, once that was said and done, if I couldn't do it all at once I would
    tummy
    arms
    thighs

(note to self..... start saving now)
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I was scheduled for a circumferential body lift on the July 23rd but had to postpone due to a pinched nerve in my neck (powerwashing the house of all things) so I have went through PT and steroid pack the last 3 weeks and will get cleared on the Aug 13th by my family doctor so I should be back on the books for Mid-September... After dropping 311 lbs. there is no way I can not have this surgery (my surgeon expects to remove 15-20 lbs. from around my torso... It is cosmetic of course even though I fight skin infections quite often but I knew from the start I would have to front the bill so we spent the last 3 years paying off our trucks to be able to offered to pay for it.. I am fortunate my Neck,Arms, and Legs (except for inner thighs) are OK... I can live with those area's....... So I am way past ready to get this surgery done.. It will make exercising easier, wearing clothes (especially Jeans) better... And will be a boost to my confidence.... Best of Luck to you......
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I would start some heavy lifting to add muscle. Then, give yourself a year after you reach your goal weight and then see where you are at to see which area (if any) still needs plastic surgery. Ive heard alot of people do this and change their mind because it doesnt look so bad after that.

This is what I'm going to do.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I was scheduled for a circumferential body lift on the July 23rd but had to postpone due to a pinched nerve in my neck (powerwashing the house of all things) so I have went through PT and steroid pack the last 3 weeks and will get cleared on the Aug 13th by my family doctor so I should be back on the books for Mid-September... After dropping 311 lbs. there is no way I can not have this surgery (my surgeon expects to remove 15-20 lbs. from around my torso... It is cosmetic of course even though I fight skin infections quite often but I knew from the start I would have to front the bill so we spent the last 3 years paying off our trucks to be able to offered to pay for it.. I am fortunate my Neck,Arms, and Legs (except for inner thighs) are OK... I can live with those area's....... So I am way past ready to get this surgery done.. It will make exercising easier, wearing clothes (especially Jeans) better... And will be a boost to my confidence.... Best of Luck to you......

whoa whoa whoa... hold on a minute... You were having skin-infections.... Did anyone do a pre-certification to request an exception for the insurance to consider coverage????? This is more than cosmetic if you were having actual medical problems associated with excessive skin due to weight loss.. this is a whole new category of medical need. Unless, did you get stuck with a self-insured type plan? Those suck royally...

I was able to help a patient get coverage through their BCBS-California plan for skin removal because of dermatological-related infections that started becoming borderline decubitus ulcers...

Please dont lose hope... especially if it means not having to pay a large sum for the surgery!?!?!?!
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Tummy tuck would be first (for me) ... in fact, I will be having one in Mar/April next year.
    For me, I've wanted it done since my son was born 17 years ago... so it will be 1st lol
    I also plan on having another 1-2 things done also...and I plan on having it all at the same time... I'd rather get everything done and over with at once.
    If you could only pick one or two things to do, I guess it would be up to you... Which is MOST important to you? What could you live without doing for now?
  • missypoo1974
    Options
    For me, the first cosmetic thing that I want is a breast lift. Second would be lipo or something for a fat deposit at the top of my butt that hubby lovingly refers to as my bump....if it doesn't go away on its own. The rest of my body is shrinking, but that bump is still the same. UGH! Next would be a tummy tuck. I'm not sure I will care about my arms or legs, but if I do...those would be last for me.
  • Effpcos
    Effpcos Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Bumping, because I find this a really interesting topic.
    I'd go for a tummy tuck first, but that's because I've had several big babies via c-sect so my belly is shot to pieces (& my "abs" have seperated above my belly button & that'll need to be sewn back together).
    Then I'd do a breast-lift/ reduction (always had ginormo boobies, even at 47kg I was a full C cup, now I'm an H, :frown: ).
    I'm hoping my thighs, arms etc will tighten themselves up once I've lost weight & kept it off for awhile, going to start incorporating muscle-building exercises on Monday.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!