First 5K!

Options
lodicox7
lodicox7 Posts: 101 Member
Yesterday I ran my first 5K to benefit the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network, or PanCan! I had three great friends there to support me and I trained and ran in honor of my grandma, who passed away from the disease about a year and a half ago (after being diagnosed just 2 months prior).

I'm so proud to have been able to do this for my grandma, especially because it fell on what should have been her 77th birthday. I did walk about a quarter of the last mile, but I finished with a time of 36:31, which I never imagined I could do!

For those considering getting into running, I highly recommend C25K! I have NEVER in my life been able to run. Before, 2 laps around a football field was enough to make me want to fall over, and now I'm running 5Ks! I plan on moving onto a 5K improver plan to help me become more consistent with the distance and obviously improve my time. After that, it's onto the 10K plan!

Replies

• PattieCakes23
    Options
    I'm doing a 5K in October.
    The Color Me Rad 5K!
    I've started doing the C25K already. And I'm already addicted to running.

COngrats on doing your first. That sounds amazing. Another goal of mine is to do a run for Breast Cancer since it runs in my family.
  • enchanted_daydream
    enchanted_daydream Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    That's so awesome! Congrats!! I'm sure your Grandma would be proud! I'm doing my first 5k (the color run) soon and I can't believe with training running is actually getting enjoyable! Never was a runner but I'm definitely starting to like it haha
  • Donnaovercomer
    Donnaovercomer Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Congrats and Good for you!! I did my first 5K last November and started also using C25K when I started.
    I am going to do the Color me Rad in November (ours was in October but got moved), also I recommend doing the Turkey trot on Thanksgiving Day, they are a blast!!!
  • dawnp1833
    dawnp1833 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your first run with such a good time! I'm doing my first 5K in September (Zoo Run Run at Brookfield Zoo), and starting c25k tomorrow. I never ever thought I'd run, and reading your post gives me some inspiration.

Other than c25k do you have any survival tips?
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Yay - that's awesome! Races are fun, aren't they?
  • Araucaria29
    Araucaria29 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first 5K in September! The Graffiti Me run. I am new to running and I am on week 4 of the Couch to 5K program. Congrats on your first 5K!
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Good for you! That is that you ran for your Grandmother! I'm sure that she is so proud of you! Keep up the good work :)
  • lodicox7
    lodicox7 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your first run with such a good time! I'm doing my first 5K in September (Zoo Run Run at Brookfield Zoo), and starting c25k tomorrow. I never ever thought I'd run, and reading your post gives me some inspiration.

Other than c25k do you have any survival tips?

The most important thing for me is just to keep my running schedule. There are days when I go out and do 5K and feel great, and there are days when I go out and only make it a mile and just have to call it quits. Not every day is a good running day, but if you keep focused and don't let the occasional down day discourage you, you will get better!

Also, I love using my phone as a GPS to help me keep my pace and overall time. My GPS actually failed for my race and I ended up running faster than I had been training, which came back to haunt me at the end. But overall, it's really a great training tool. Map My Run has been the best app for me so far!

Good luck to everyone! Stick with it, it's worth it!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!