Atkins Diet? Tell me what I need to know

Options
2»

Replies

• LiliamG
    LiliamG Posts: 34
    Options
    Atkins diet after I was sick of the pressure ... be careful with that diet ...
  • jsabet
    jsabet Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I eat mounds of spinach, some avocados or good fats. No dairy. Some dark berries. A maximum of 90 grams of protein a day and once I'm full - I'm still at about 1200 - 1400 calories and less than 35 grams of carbs. It's pretty ballanced.
  • jessicarn76
    jessicarn76 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Have you thought of South Beach? It's a low carb initially, then you introduce the healthy carbs back in. Focuses more on lean meats and such.
  • llstacy
    llstacy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm doing great on a low carb diet. The biggest thing for me was doing the research and finding out that fat and especially saturated fat not are good for you. They're GOOD for you, not bad at all but honestly good for your body. If you can wrap your head around that you're good to go.

That and cooking...if you don't know how to cook it's really hard at first but I'm learning new recipes all the time so I don't get bored of eating bacon & eggs and steak & salad. Don't get me wrong I love those foods but there is so much good stuff out there and my food is so much better now that I'm not plopping rice, potatoes or pasta from a box on my dinner plate. So dinners, great if you can cook but lunches at work are still a PITA since all the fast food and take out is almost all carbs but I'm working around it.
  • johnsnana
    Options
    I guess I have to be the "odd one out" on this one. I tried every diet out there & the only one that I lost weight AND KEPT OFF THE WEIGHT for over a year with is a low carb diet. I do a modified Atkins though, instead of fatty meats & full cheeses, I substitute lean chicken & turkey & add healthy fats (olive oil, flax oil, walnuts). I still get 50-70% of my calories from fat, 20% from protein & keep my carbs at 40-60 net carbs a day. I was doing Atkins (fatty meats) & after 6 months my cholesterol levels were a tad bid high (they had been normal until then). I since have had my bloodwork done again & I am back to normal using my modified version. I have also maintained my weight loss & I don't have to work out AT ALL if I don't want to & still maintain my weight. I am working out (running) because I enjoy it & hopefully it helps me lose a few more pounds, but if I don't i am ok at 115lbs. I can eat plenty of vegetables, small amounts of fruit, lean meats, healthy oils & small amounts of skim cheese & I am fine with this lifestyle. When I ate sugar & breads I was always craving more & binged on them. I believe they are addicting & cause I wide variety of health issues.
    In the end, everyone has to do what is right for them, like they say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you are struggling to lose, then you shouldn't knock it until you've tried it. And that means really giving it an honest try, doing it for at least a few months, tracking food/exercise daily & having bloodwork done to back it up before making judgement.
  • johnsnana
    Options
    Guess I should have posted the obvious. Rather than listen to us at the forum, you could buy Atkins, the diet revolution (on amazon or used on ebay) & see what you think after reading it & even discussing it with your family doctor. That way he could monitor your blood levels to see if it works for you. Best wishes on your journey:flowerforyou:
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Even diabetics needs at least 130 g of carbs a day.

Nobody needs to eat any carbohydrates. Your liver makes glucose if you don't eat enough carbs, Atkins and LCHF dieters don't have problems with less than 40g of net carbs per day.

I doubt I eat 130g a week, never mind a day.
  • nskerr
    nskerr Posts: 91
    Options
    If you need to lose 5-10lbs quickly it is great. I used it years ago and lost a ton of weight. But I didn't do it correctly. You are to basically eliminate carbs the first 2 weeks and then slowly reintroduce them back. They break down good vs bad carbs. Carbs like broccoli are good, bread & pasta are not. I stayed on the intro 2 weeks phase for 9-10 months and ended up losing (with exercise) 115lbs. BUT when I got down there I wanted to enjoy life. No or limited liquor, pizza, carbs in general is extremely difficult. So when I would have a blowout day I literally could gain 3-5lbs in day. Needless to say I gained all of that weight back and then 10lbs before I went more towards a portion control and exercise regiment. Now I have always been a yo-yo guy and even on the portion control I have lost focus and rode back up a bit after hitting the goal but it is much easier to jump on that wagon then cutting out carbs.
  • cyneliason
    Options
    The person who lost weight too fast and landed in the hospital, if she had read the book, would know that it does NOT SAY to be eating only proteins. Most of my daily carb allowance comes from a big salad every afternoon, and vegetables with dinner. Don't blame the program if you didn't follow the instructions.
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Even diabetics needs at least 130 g of carbs a day.

Where did you get this? Do you have a siource?

I am a T2D and since I have limited my carbs to 10 % or 45g.day, my BS is always under control.