Cleaning as Exercise?

Options

Replies

• LilRiver
    LilRiver Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've burned a heck of a lot more calories doing a half a day of spring cleaning than, say, a ten minute walk (which I tend to assume is folks taking their dog out). But I don't think anyone would question walking.

I absolutely count it. It's not counted in my sedentary lifestyle, so if I burn em, I count em. If I don't count them, it seems dishonest. But I also count every thing I eat - whether it's a half a cracker or a full serving.

Now, I don't tend to use MFPs estimates. I cut them in half or more. Heck, when I moved (there was a lot of "cleaning" and "moving boxes" in the moving process), I cut the calories suggested by MFP in half and there was one day when it still wanted to tell me I'd burned 4000 calories or something absurd like that, so I cut em in half again.

Even eating back a bunch of my calories that week, I lost six pounds. So, maybe it wasn't as far off as I'd assumed. (I typically lose ~2. The 6 was a definite anomaly.)
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I've burned a heck of a lot more calories doing a half a day of spring cleaning than, say, a ten minute walk (which I tend to assume is folks taking their dog out). But I don't think anyone would question walking.

I absolutely count it. It's not counted in my sedentary lifestyle, so if I burn em, I count em. If I don't count them, it seems dishonest. But I also count every thing I eat - whether it's a half a cracker or a full serving.
    is the burning of calories exercise??

Lets rephrase, if you burn a ton of calories using your fatty acid energy system as the primary driver, do you consider that more exercise than less calories burned from doing cardio based energy system movement?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    So I do not mean to sound rude, or unmannerly. But who hear actually considers cleaning an exercise. I mean cool, your cleaning and losing calories, but I do not include it as an exercise. I believe that some people ( NOT MOST or ALL) use it as an excuse to not going to the gym. .I would love some positive or negative opinions on this. Very skeptical.

If you used to sit in front of the TV, but now you actually clean your house, it can be called an exercise. Or if you do "spring cleaning" or do a major clean-out of a closet or bathroom or whatever.

But.....once that finally became a habit and you got closer to goal weight, it wouldn't make sense to include it anymore.
  • tibeck01
    tibeck01 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I don't log daily things like dishes or folding laundry...however, when I do a major clean, I log it because: I stretch, I bend, I walk, I use muscle to scrub, etc...and I sweat. So I log it. I am on my feet with my job and I don't count that because it's normal daily activity...but for someone who is used to having very little or no activity, I can see how actively cleaning is a workout, especially if just starting out in a new active lifestyle from a very sedentary one.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    There was time when I counted it more than the actual gym workouts because it WAS strenuous and i was consuming a lot of calories cleaning for hours on end. I was purging a lot from my life to make room for a new lifestyle. I think a lot of people who fall into morbidly obese would agree that when you are ready to lose there has to be entire life SHIFT in order to be successful. A big part for me was putting my home and finances in order.

And hey it worked cause I've already lost almost 90lbs and go to the gym 3 days a week. ;) who cares how you get there right?

And now I pay a house keeper to come clean so I have tIme for more strenuous calorie burning exercises! I know a LOT of people that do that and I could just as easily have said in the beginning that THEY were the lazy ones because they weren't carrying an extra 200lbs on their backs doing it, yet hey still hired someone to do it for them. ;) perspective!

I totally get where you are coming from! :bigsmile:

Here's the deal: if you are sweating and you hit your THR for an extended period, then it's cardio! The dust finally leaving the shelves and the "disappearance" of the unnecessary files, papers, crap-ola, etc. is a bonus.
  • LilRiver
    LilRiver Posts: 81 Member
    Options

is the burning of calories exercise??

Lets rephrase, if you burn a ton of calories using your fatty acid energy system as the primary driver, do you consider that more exercise than less calories burned from doing cardio based energy system movement?

I don't know that I would consider cleaning an exercise - but I do believe that if I am doing something which burns significantly more calories than sitting on my butt in front of the computer that I should record it. Otherwise, my record is incomplete. So, let's say that I hadn't recorded all that cleaning and box moving. A couple months from now when I'm stuck in a plateau and reviewing my previous logs to find patterns or whatever, I would see this massive loss with no explanation. "hmmm is it because I ate more carbs? maybe it was my water intake - hmmm, that must be it, I was better about my water!" I'd be wrong in that assumption because I actually burned thousands of calories cleaning and moving that I didn't record because it wasn't some definition of exercise.

And, yes, that is an extreme example. It's like comparing running a marathon with walking the dog. I wouldn't begrudge someone recording walking the dog, so why should I begrudge someone spending 45 minutes vacuuming the house and carrying loads of laundry from the upstairs to the basement and back again. (though if they're set at an active lifestyle - they may be screwing themselves over, but I am set at sedentary)
  • CarleyLovesPets
    CarleyLovesPets Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I don't log anything that I am doing other then the stuff I go out of my way to do solely for exercising.
    Cleaning, sex, shopping, ect... Are just daily things - not exercise.

That's just me though.
    If someone wants too, completely up to them.
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    And I diffidently agree with what all you are saying. But I am saying as the aspect of using as an excuse though. Because I know people personally who do it, why I brought it up in the first place. I know when you sleep your burning calories, your burn calories no matter what you do.

I also believe in pushing people to their hardest. It has helped my friends out tons of time. And if SOME people have the mind set that all they have to do is clean everyday to get that 200 to 600 calories then they will be just fine I disagree.

IMO, people log the calories burned during housework, child care, and yard work because they are, in fact, burning calories. I would not dream of passing judgement on someone--implying that they are using their cleaning activities as an excuse for not formally exercising. Yes, one can get in shape with eating a healthy diet, walking, cleaning, gardening, playing with kids, etc., without ever stepping into a gym or using an exercise video. In fact, when you think about it--exercising in a gym appears to be a fairly recent phenomenon. Our ancestors who most likely made their living doing manual labor had no need for "exercise".

I totally agree with this. I just think that more modern times are certainly set up differently than humans are really meant to live, and that people should live more actively, as in during their everyday lives. Too many people just don't stop to think that even 50 years ago, the exercise was gotten from everyday life, just traveling and working. Some people still live this way. I so often travel by bicycle and walk all over whenever possible. I also expend a lot of calories cleaning and dealing with my kids, but I also swim and try to find time to add a "Workout" to my daily life. Sometimes it's not easy for people to spend time at a gym. If people would learn to eat more healthy and realize that daily movement really is the exercise they need in order to be healthy, we would all be and sty healthy.

The other day I saw a man who was heavy, ride a 4-wheeler a block to go from one place to another(about a block apart). This is where he should have really just gotten some exercise. Make use of those legs when you can people. And make sure to realize this really is exercise. Daily stuff or not. I live about 800 feet from my family and I so rarely drive there when I go. I either walk or ride my bike. It expends energy and stretches my legs.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    When I log my cleaning calories, it's when I'm doing my "spring style" cleaning as I'd like to put it. Takes me the majority of the day and I really really reallyyy clean. I do this about 1-2 times a month, and I break a pretty good sweat. However, when I log it, I usually only log it as 45 minutes of light cleaning, however it's usually pretty rigorous all day work lol. But, I don't use it as an excuse not to go to the gym. I'm actually "crippled" right now... severe SI joint pain and sciatica, which is also tagged with torn cartilage. I have good days and bad days, some days I can go to the gym, and others I can't. I wouldn't be so quick to judge people who aren't jumping to go to the gym and log other things as a work out instead, because those could be their only option. Also, those people most likely put there goals as "sedentary" therefore, this WOULD be considered part of their physical activity for the day.
  • sissyr75
    sissyr75 Posts: 24
    Options
    I have only used it a couple of times as my form of exercise. However, I only used it when I did some heavy cleaning. I pulled things out from under the bed or closet, dusted, moved furniture, stood up and down on a stool. One day I cleaned for 3 hrs. But I only logged in that I did an hour. But I figure because I in some form or other worked by arms, my butt and legs, and worked up a sweat and had to use my core to stay balance without getting injured, then to me that counted as a workout.
  • sharonk120
    sharonk120 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I feel that logging exercise should be above what you do on a normal day.
  • Leeanne1974
    Leeanne1974 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    sex, shopping, ect... Are just daily things - not exercise.
    Once a month if i am lucky... damn ;)

I don't agree with the shopping not being exercise though. I don't log my daily pop round the shop to get some bread as exercise but once a month or so i go out all day shopping on my own. I walk up and down the high street, round the market... Sometimes I am walking for 3 hours. I don't log it as 3 hours walking though, i put say 90 minutes walking at the slowest pace.
    I don't always eat back my exercise cals though and don't when it is shopping based lol
  • Lbishop1213
    Options
    I thought about this post and I decided to Google Folding Laundry.

These are the calories burned for 120 pound person folding and putting away laundry. Keep in mind that if you weigh less you burn less calories.

A 120 lb. person folding laundry for 20 minutes while standing burns 38 calories. Putting your family's laundry away for 10 minutes burns 22 calories. Folding laundry for 15 minutes while seated burns 21 calories.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/316514-the-calories-burned-with-folding-laundry/#ixzz22i9kW5aH

I also found this out...so maybe we are burning more calories than we think. I won't spend an hour bringing in groceries but doing a little bit of everything may equal an hour.

HOW MANY CALORIES DO YOU BURN DOING HOUSEWORK IF YOU WEIGH AROUND 185 POUNDS
    The average 185 pound person will burn 189 calories per hour ironing or washing dishes, 222 calories per hour cooking or putting away groceries, 244 calories per hour doing general housework, 266 calories per hour loading or unloading a car, 377 calories per hour mopping, and 555 calories per hour rearranging furniture.
  • shanice_22
    shanice_22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I log it as exercise because my activity level is set to sedentary and I am pretty much sat on my bum all day. Also, I was sweating today while cleaning.

I'm not logging it as an excuse to not go to the gym, I just log it as it's out of my usual daily activity level.
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Unless it is out of the norm cleaning NO
    if your logging it just to log something your only
    cheating yourself
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I don't use cleaning as my only workout but I do some major cleaning around the house and count those calories as burned calories. It's not like I sat in a chair and waved my arm, I climb to clean light fixtures, I stoop to clean behind or under things. I get on my hands and knees to scrub the floor. These are all energy spent.
  • xTenaciousJx
    Options
    the ONLY time i count it is when i clean my 2 clients house ( i use my HRM to get an acutal calorie burn)...its a really great workout. i only clean them 2xs a month during summer months and 1 house 1x a month during winter. I burn around 800 calories and clean for about 2-2.5 hrs one right after the other. My house i DO NOT count...thats a daily thing. If I was to work on cleaning the garage which isn't a normal thing I'd count it.
  • naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I personally don't log household activity unless it's a hefty (not standard day) task. HOWEVER - a few months ago, even doing the dishes worked up a sweat and increased my heart rate, for many reasons. Had I been using this site at the time.... "walking to the mailbox" would have been something I was proud of... so I likely would have logged it. I'm pretty sure the 14 calorie burn I got from that wouldn't have made a dent in my day- but it sure would have kicked up my self confidence.

I think it depends on who and where you are in life, and if you are realistic in your calculation of the activity. If any one of my MFP pals logs housework- I am sure they have their reasons for finding it something worth logging. If I know them well enough to tell them their numbers may be off- then depending on the situation, I may ask if they want my advice. It isn't my place to judge them, but rather to support them.
  • treimnitz
    treimnitz Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It depends on the type of cleaning I'm doing. If it's vacuuming or dusting (where I'm going through a constant motion), then yes. If it's washing the dishes or any other sedatary exercise, then no.
  • seximami79
    seximami79 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I feel like gardening counts because when I am weeding, I am getting up and down, reaching, and sweating for an hour or more...the other activities? I just consider it an added bonus that I don't log. I don't clean a WHOLE lot...folding laundry and doing dishes doesn't take too long...playing with the kids definitely counts though!:wink: