40 Year Old Male Trying to lose Stomach excess

Options
I'm a 40 Year Old Male and have started Counting calories which is great for Weight Loss however I am losing weight from all area of my body apet from my Stomach... Can anyone advise what foods I shoudl be eating to help?????

Replies

• tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    less carbs, more protein
  • 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    Lots of veggies, fruits, lean meats, plenty of water, smaller portions, well balanced snacks/meals, add in some cardio....~WIN!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    If you stay in a calorie deficit it should go away with time. Good luck!
  • FungusTrooper
    FungusTrooper Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Everyone loses weight in different orders - eventually, your body will have nowhere left to burn fat but on your gut. I lose from my face and gut first, then my arms and legs, but I know lots of people who are the other way around.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately the stomach seems to be the last to go.

My husband just does sit ups. I have a "ab workout" DVD that I use...
  • Krisstah
    Krisstah Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    how long have you been doing this? i was told that people always lose fat around their organs before they lose fat on the outside
  • jonthetrain
    jonthetrain Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    you cannot spot loose body fat.from a specific area . Your belly fat will probably be the last to go . so keep loosing weight and eventually it will come off your abdomen.
  • brjustice2000
    Options
    It is not what foods you should be eating. Your body is going to take fat from where it chooses; sadly, we don't get to choose. Usually your body takes fat from all over your body.

Hang in there and keep working at it. Don't just focus on calories because you should watch sugars, fats, and carbs so you don't go over. I just added fats to my Excel spreadsheet today because I expected to lose over 2 lbs and lost only 8 tenths of a lb this week. The calorie deficit of 7900+ meant I should have lost more. This has happened to me before. I go back and look through what the nutrient breakout was that week. Too many sugars, carbs, and fats will blow up the plan. The only good thing this week was that of the 8 tenths of a lb lost was that 7 of the tenths was body fat according to my body fat monitor from Omron, which looks like the one at the gym.

I lift weights and have lost 3 inches off my chest since November even though I do the bench press. Those inches are fat that is gone. More importantly after joining MFP in March 2012, I have lost 5 and 3/8 inches of belly fat. I'm like almost everyone, I want to lose more belly fat. For the past month my waist measurement did not change, but I cut back on fat intake this week and boy did it change.

Again hang in there because there will be the frustrating times when the efforts appear not to be working. After plateauing for the last month and gaining some weight even though I should have lost each week, my body may now have adjusted and is letting me lose weight again. Just keep at it, eat enough so you don't slow down your metabolism, do some cardio and strength training. This is a long haul life change not a diet. Today, I had 7 servings of low fat low cal ice cream for lunch and stayed well under my fat grams on MFP because I spent 3 hours walking in the pool and 40 minutes walking outside the pool. Yesterday and today I burned more calories in exercise than I ate, but I still ate close to my basic caloric need based on my weight. Be prepared to change things up from time to time; don't do the same exercise either cardio or strength training forever because your body adapts to it and will use fewer calories.

Good luck to you! I'm doing it as a picky eater, so if you don't give up, you can do it!!
  • jellyoff
    Options
    I don't have much to offer, but I feel ya!!
  • natasha150
    natasha150 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    your doing so well - and especially looking at your diary, your putting some of us (like me) to shame.

less carbs, more protein and dont go too low under your calorie requirements because your going to slow down your metabolism so when you do relax your diet, the weight will creep back on.

the other principle which seems to help is eating a 'clean diet' which means slowly cutting out processed food. so if you try to get as close to possible as eating a 'natural' as possible diet which has gone through very little processing or cooking then it will help with your nutritional intake and stop your body from holding on to the fat stores around your belly and other places.

xoxoxo
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Track your sugar consumption and try to stay under what MFP has set for your goals. A diet like The South Beach Diet is great at eliminating belly fat first.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    The first place I gain weight is the last place I loose
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    There are no specific food that help specific areas. Just keep on eating in deficit, getting exercise and reducing overall fat. That may be your stubborn area. We all have one. Mine is over my hips.
  • Richardacq
    Options
    Doing my best... Need to lay off the pasta that I love soo much...
  • Richardacq
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice
  • Richardacq
    Options
    Thanks.. I bet we all wish the our fat around our guts went away first...
  • Richardacq
    Options
    Thanks Brjustice2000... Great advice and it's provided me with motivation to just keep on trying...