Are you making your kids fat?

Options
I just read this article on Yahoo and wanted to share!

"I credit my mom with modeling the right behaviors," Angela Lemond, Registered Dietitian and Spokesperson for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, tells Shine. "She cooked a healthy meal every night and that was our only option." Lemond, who specializes in pediatric and family nutrition, says the research is clear that parental behavior and modeling has a significant impact on childhood obesity.

"Parents have the responsibility for providing food, meal planning, and eliminating distractions at the table," says Lemond. "The responsibility of the child is to eat or not to eat." She is concerned that today's parents are "letting kids dictate what food is being served." She sympathizes with parents' desire to nourish their children, but points out that this often means that they are exclusively serving meals of "chicken nuggets or mac and cheese" to picky eaters which are high in fat and calories and low on nutrition. She points out that a generation ago, "You ate what you were served or waited until the next meal."

On the other hand, Lemond says her mom "didn't force feed. Nutritionists don't advocate the clean plate club," a rule that can thwart children from developing a natural sense of when they are still hungry and when they are actually full.

Another important factor in helping kids to learn to enjoy nutritious choices is exposing them to a variety of foods--and not giving up if they say they don't like something new. "Even though parents want their kids to eat healthy," explains Lemond, "They have a misconception that if kids reject it once, it should be taken off the meal plan."

According to the Centers for Disease Control, the rate of childhood obesity has tripled over the past 30 years. Overweight children are at a higher risk of developing chronic illnesses like diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, and cancer. They are also prone to low self-esteem and stigmatization by their peers.

Current research shows that there are many habits that parents can adopt--starting at pregnancy--that will help prevent kids from becoming overweight.

Maternal Body Mass Index (BMI) has impact on baby's birth weight which may, in turn, predict adult overweight. Maintain a healthy weight before and during pregnancy. If you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant, discuss what an appropriate weight gain is for your body size and frame with your doctor.
Breastfeeding women should eat variety of fruits and vegetables. Babies who are exposed to certain flavors through nursing are less picky when they are weaned.
Let your baby wean itself with age-appropriate finger foods. Some research shows that babies who are spoon fed purees tend to be more overweight and prefer sugary tastes than babies who help feed them selves.
Is your toddler picky? Don't give up. It may take as many as 15 exposures to get a toddler to try a new food.
Turn off the TV. A recent study by the University of Montreal showed that for every extra hour per week watched by 2-4 year-olds, waist sized increased and athletic ability (as indicated by explosive muscle power) decreased.
Eat together. From toddlers to teens, the research shows that children are healthier when they regularly sit down and eat meals with their families.
Lose weight yourself. A 2012 study by the University of California shows reports that the number one factor in the success of an obese or overweight child's ability to attain a healthy weight is parental weight loss.
Engage in some sort of physical activity. Kids who say their parents are sedentary are 50% more likely to be medically unfit themselves.

To learn more strategies, visit the Academy's website for families, Kids Eat Right. They provide a wealth of information on children's nutrition from birth to the teen years.

*****This is my number one reason on why I wanted to lose weight again! I was really overweight from 3rd grade until high school and then again after I had my son 5 years ago. I do not want him to EVER go through the pain and humiliation that I endured as a kid and want him to be healthy! My parents gave me ramen noodles/mac & cheese/pop all junk EVERY day! They didn't put limits on what I ate and I did whatever I wanted! I refuse to be like that! I take my son outside, give him healthy food and he drinks water! Pop, chips and candy are special treats, not an every day item! Let's give our kids a chance and teach them how to eat to live not to live to eat!! :smile:*****

16586181.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• ericgAU
    ericgAU Posts: 271
    Options
    Monkey see monkey do. When I started to drop significant amounts of weight by changing up my food I didnt realize the residule benefit that it would have on my family. I didn't have to force any of my kids but they simply were observing what I was eating and they then wanted to do the same. Its a very thin line between setting the right example for your kids and badgering them into something that they either dont understand or are unwilling to do.
  • mayberry310
    mayberry310 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Great article. I agree wholeheartedly on not wanting my son to be picked on or made fun of for his weight... when I can clearly make the decisions on what food is in our house and how much physical activity he gets in every day.

Thanks for sharing!
  • saustin201
    saustin201 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    All my kids are under weight and 1 is on appetite stimulants because he's so underweight. All mine are tall and skinny like their dad.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Monkey see monkey do. When I started to drop significant amounts of weight by changing up my food I didnt realize the residule benefit that it would have on my family. I didn't have to force any of my kids but they simply were observing what I was eating and they then wanted to do the same. Its a very thin line between setting the right example for your kids and badgering them into something that they either dont understand or are unwilling to do.

THIS ^^^

I have found the same thing to be true. My kids are teenagers and have become overweight because of poor eating habits, modeling my own behavior. Now that I am shedding pounds and eating healthier, they are starting to try to do the same.I announced that from now on, dinners would only include nutritious food and everyone would get one serving. Also, I don't bring any junk into the house. Now my son will still walk down the street and spend some of his allowance money on a candy or snack cake, but I remind him that it's his own free will. (And he is getting some exercise walking down there and back...up and down two hills)
  • LinsenNRoses
    LinsenNRoses Posts: 284 Member
    Options

I agree! :) My son is only 5 and always chooses the healthier options and is very interested in health and exercise. He likes to do my aerobics tapes with me! Haha!
  • stephdg89
    Options
    I do all these things in the article with my 2 year old. She has always been a really good eater, but if she refuses to eat what I cook for some reason then too bad. She can wait until the next planned snack/meal. The only time I make an exception is if she isn't feeling well or is teething, then I offer healthy, soft foods like yogurt, bananas, etc. Even when she was first starting solids I made my own babyfood and would make "baby salad" by pureeing spinach, tomato, and carrots. I also don't make her eat everything she is served. She can stop when she is full, but if she asks for more she can have it. Her pediatrician told me when they are young they know to listen to their body for hunger cues. When they're hungry they eat, and stop when they're full, and some days they eat more than other days but it all balances out. I have been told by everyone she is the best eater of any child they have ever seen. I know a lot of that is personality, but I like to take some credit! :)
  • LinsenNRoses
    Options
    I do all these things in the article with my 2 year old. She has always been a really good eater, but if she refuses to eat what I cook for some reason then too bad. She can wait until the next planned snack/meal. The only time I make an exception is if she isn't feeling well or is teething, then I offer healthy, soft foods like yogurt, bananas, etc. Even when she was first starting solids I made my own babyfood and would make "baby salad" by pureeing spinach, tomato, and carrots. I also don't make her eat everything she is served. She can stop when she is full, but if she asks for more she can have it. Her pediatrician told me when they are young they know to listen to their body for hunger cues. When they're hungry they eat, and stop when they're full, and some days they eat more than other days but it all balances out. I have been told by everyone she is the best eater of any child they have ever seen. I know a lot of that is personality, but I like to take some credit! :)

That's awesome! Everyone says that about my son too! He eats his vegetables always first before anything else and wants more!! They are always in shock!! :)
  • SmileyFaceGuy
    Options
    My mom made me fat. :(
  • LinsenNRoses
    Options
    My mom made me fat. :(

I know how that goes! It really sucks but we can't do anything about that now! We just have to learn how to be healthy and make better choices from now on!! & also know not to make the same mistakes with our kids! :smile:
  • ericgAU
    Options

THIS ^^^

I have found the same thing to be true. My kids are teenagers and have become overweight because of poor eating habits, modeling my own behavior. Now that I am shedding pounds and eating healthier, they are starting to try to do the same.I announced that from now on, dinners would only include nutritious food and everyone would get one serving. Also, I don't bring any junk into the house. Now my son will still walk down the street and spend some of his allowance money on a candy or snack cake, but I remind him that it's his own free will. (And he is getting some exercise walking down there and back...up and down two hills)

Good on you! I like how you've stopped buying junk into the house. Thats the critical part I think. I mean, kids will be kids and you dont want to deny them the odd treat every now and then.
  • ericgAU
    Options
    You know, it reminds me of my 4 year old last night. My wife and I were wondering where she was as she was suspiciously quiet. We found her on the kitchen floor cutting an apple and a mandarin on the kitchen floor. When ask what she was doing she replied `I want to be healthy like you dad'. Moments like this are priceless.....
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    My mom was a horrible horrible cook. We learned to cook as soon as we could, she was just that bad!! My freshman year of HS, I did 75% of the dinners with whatever food was in the house by 11th grade I was doing *all* the cooking and grocery shopping. I've only known of one other person who was worse. She put ramen in a blender with veggies. eeww?

My mom had a heart attack when I was in 7th grade and ever since, I've been quite anal about my eating habits and my kids' habits as well. Dessert is maybe twice a month? Soda is just as rare. trix and fruity pebbles? yeah right. I do get them cocoa during winter and when they do get dessert, it's damned good homemade stuff or at the occasional t ime we go to a restaurant.

When I hit 32, my metabolism took a nose dive, my husband got me into the habit of eating in front of the tv and I started drinking more when we went out. And it just added up!!

Food is eaten in the kitchen, very very rarely in the living room for a move, never in their room. I try and make 80% of the food I serve healthy'ish, make them eat breakfast and drink milk. And of course kick them out of the house when I can. Our parents didn't kick us out for us to "get exercise" They wanted peace and quiet!

My husband's dad, his mom was an emotional cooker. When her husband died, she made a LOT of desserts to make up for it. Growing up in the rural south where "if it ain't fried it ain't food" didn't help. I will say, my husband's gramma died in her 90s. good weight and shape. But her sons? They never recovered. Husband's dad is very large, diabetic and refuses to do anything about it. His knees are shot, his back is shot, he has one of those breathing masks for snoring and refuses to do anything about it! You can only blame your parents for so long.

don't get me wrong, if they're hungry, they eat. but I don't let them eat because they're bored or watching tv, surfing the net or because they're emotional.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    5 kids and not a one is overweight. Now, that may change as they enter adulthood (have 2 adult kids right now). However, under our influence each of them has had fresh food, veggies galor, ample opportunities to engage in physical fitness of their choice (football, baseball, cross country, track, martial arts, and the 6 year old is starting flag football in a week). I can only hope those patterns are life long. Other values we've worked hard to model & teach seem to be disregarded by my young adult boys, but we can always hope some of this stuff is a "phase".
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    my three daughters (12, 10 and 7) have surprised me with how on board they are with my new diet. I had told them even before i started MFP, that the "grazing all day on crap" summers had come to an abrupt end. The worst thing i have in the house for them to snack on is baked crackers... and they haven't complained. Not once. They haven't even asked. They also don't request pizza or takeout anymore either. It's amazing how easily they adapt. And i don't have kids that adapt easily either.. they usually fight me tooth and nail.

For anybody hesitating with changing their kids habits, just do it! i sure wish my mom had.
  • mispotatohead
    mispotatohead Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    The part about the clean plate club - I never have made my kids clean their plate. I would watch my daughter repeatedly take a bite or two of a candy bar, carrot, whatever and leave the rest. I was amazed at how natural it was for her to eat everything in moderation. Nothing was every off limits as I didn't want it to become "forbidden". She was very lean.

What I didn't realize, is that my day care provider WAS an advocate of the clean plate club. It was a topic I never thought of discussing with them. Parents with young kids that spend meal time away from home may want to express their desires when it comes to this. I found out, from my daughter, way too late to correct it that they had to clean their plate.
  • PrfctGdess
    PrfctGdess Posts: 257
    Options
    My boys are 5, 3, and 2 (next week :P). They've always liked foods they're "not supposed" to like. All 3 LOVE broccoli, my 5 yr old adores peas in the pod, my 3 year old will eat avocado/guacamole with a spoon, and my 1(2) year old eats tomatoes raw like apples. All of them love all kinds of berries and fruits.

I get the strangest looks, AMAZED looks, from people when they see my youngest eating a tomato, or the oldest asks for tuna fish instead of a hot dog, or when the middle one wants more veggies instead of fried chicken. It makes me sad that they seem to be SOOO strange to people. Maybe if more kids eat like mine/ours do, it won't be such a weird concept to people anymore! :smile:

And yes, they still LOVE things like hot dogs, mac n cheese, french fries, etc. But we don't serve them every meal and when they ARE served, it's with a side of blueberries or steamed broccoli. Being a healthy eater doesn't mean they can't still be kids. :tongue:
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    I think my 14 year actually modeled the good behavior for me before I made the change. She taught herself portion control, declined sweets and fast food, etc... She dropped 15 lbs before I finally woke up and realized it should have been the opposite. Now everyone in the family is eating healthy, my 2 youngest girls walk with me or do their own form of exercise daily. And yes, they do adapt quite easily.
  • PrfctGdess
    PrfctGdess Posts: 257
    Options
    I try and make 80% of the food I serve healthy'ish

If you're cooking the vast majority of meals yourself/at home, then you're already ahead of the curve of the "average" American (sadly). A BIG part of making it healthier is making it yourself!!

(which is where I struggle...I CAN cook, I just don't particularly enjoy it :tongue: )
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I try and make 80% of the food I serve healthy'ish

If you're cooking the vast majority of meals yourself/at home, then you're already ahead of the curve of the "average" American (sadly). A BIG part of making it healthier is making it yourself!!

(which is where I struggle...I CAN cook, I just don't particularly enjoy it :tongue: )

here is what you do. make your meats/casseroles in doubles... or just take a lb of chicken, season it, bake it. Let cool and chop. Put in in freezable bags, add marinade if you want. That's one less thing you have to cook. Chix tacos, wraps, there is a LOT you can do with chopped chix. make up marinara sauce with meat veggies (cooked al-dente) thaw, you only have to cook the noodles. if you double when you cook, you save 1 day of cooking. Also, the crockpot is your friend! If you need any ideas on cutting down the amount of time you cook, just message me.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

I hear ya. Same here. I have several recipes in my rotation that make enough for 2 meals for the family. Means I only have to cook supper every 2nd day, ahahhaha!