I don't know what I'm doing wrong?

Options
I've been exercising 6 days a week, eating healthily, and drinking more water than I usually would yet I gained weight? It's such a let down.. I thought I was doing good. :( (I'm 162cm and 60.6kg which is the higher end of my BMI and I want to lose 8.6kg)

Replies

• kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Could be a few things. I can't see your diary so I really don't want to give advice without knowing what your already doing.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Water retention from exercise. It's not fat. Do not fret. Stay patient. Stay on course. And stop weighing yourself so often.

And please no one tell her it's muscle. :-/
  • dontgiveupjustdoit
    Options
    Could be a few things. I can't see your diary so I really don't want to give advice without knowing what your already doing.
    I've made it public so you can see it, but I tend to have the same breakfast/dinner most days because I like them.. Maybe I'm not having enough variety?
  • dontgiveupjustdoit
    Options
    Water retention from exercise. It's not fat. Do not fret. Stay patient. Stay on course. And stop weighing yourself so often.

And please no one tell her it's muscle. :-/
    I don't intend on going of course haha, I just wanted to know what it could be, and water retention sounds like a good answer. Thank you! P.s I only weigh in once a week so I don't weigh too often :)
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I've made it public so you can see it, but I tend to have the same breakfast/dinner most days because I like them.. Maybe I'm not having enough variety?

Variety has nothing to do with it.

As long as you are accurately counting your calories and you are eating less than your TDEE you should be losing fat. It's most likely water retention for the exercise you do. It can easily mask your progress on the scale.

Drinking water helps with water retention. Watch your sodium as well.
  • CalorieCrazy86
    CalorieCrazy86 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Looked at your diary, you don't seem to use up your calories and gain more unused calories from working out!! You have to fuel the body, not eating enough is causing the problem
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I've been exercising 6 days a week, eating healthily, and drinking more water than I usually would yet I gained weight? It's such a let down.. I thought I was doing good. :( (I'm 162cm and 60.6kg which is the higher end of my BMI and I want to lose 8.6kg)

You should be able to net 1630 and eventually get there. If you are netting far below this and have been gaining for an extended period of time, then chances are you're not eating enough.

Otherwise, you're probably retaining water, it'll drop, give it a week. If you're gaining weight and getting slimmer, you're probably gaining muscle, keep up the great work. If it's been a short period of time it's probably weight fluctuations, especially if you're a girl, our bodies can do crazy things.

There's lots of reasons. We need to know more then what you're giving us.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Everyone gains and loses differently and there are so many factors. I just know if you eat well, exercise and rest well you will get healthier. It may take longer it may seem to stop all together but persistence is critical. Variety doesn't matter other than you don't get bored with it. Good luck and have a great day, Jer
  • dontgiveupjustdoit
    Options
    Looked at your diary, you don't seem to use up your calories and gain more unused calories from working out!! You have to fuel the body, not eating enough is causing the problem
    MFP gave me a calorie limit of 1200 but I upped it to 1500 yesterday (that's why my other entries would look a lot less) because my BMR is 1433 or something like that and I thought I should be eating at least that. I'll try and increase my calories even more though, thank you.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    MFP gave me a calorie limit of 1200 but I upped it to 1500 yesterday (that's why my other entries would look a lot less) because my BMR is 1433 or something like that and I thought I should be eating at least that. I'll try and increase my calories even more though, thank you.

You just explained your problem, see? you know more then you think ;)

When you come off a restrictive diet your body tends to get excited and go yay I can make energy now and overload you with good ol glycogen (it's a form of energy). Give it a week or 2 it'll come right off. It's just water weight.

"Glycogen requires water to be stored. In the initial stages of diet/caloric restriction and exercise, your body depletes these glycogen stores, reducing your bodyweight from the elimination of both the weight of the stored glycogen and the weight of the water. Note that nowhere in this process is the much-desired loss of fat!"
    http://www.justinowings.com/understanding-bodyweight-and-glycogen-de/
  • dontgiveupjustdoit
    Options
    Everyone gains and loses differently and there are so many factors. I just know if you eat well, exercise and rest well you will get healthier. It may take longer it may seem to stop all together but persistence is critical. Variety doesn't matter other than you don't get bored with it. Good luck and have a great day, Jer
    Thank you, this is great advice. I've always been taught as of a young age that persistence is key and it goes for everything - including this! Have a great day yourself :)
  • Ainslee921
    Options

Agreed; I went a week coming under my daily calorie allowance, thinking that would help and was frustrated by lack of progress, so I upped my calories one day, and boom: jumped on the scale and down two pounds.

It definitely changed my way of thinking; I was so proud of myself for not reaching my limit, but it turns out I was doing more harm than good.
  • dontgiveupjustdoit
    Options

You just explained your problem, see? you know more then you think ;)

When you come off a restrictive diet your body tends to get excited and go yay I can make energy now and overload you with good ol glycogen molecules. Give it a week or 2 it'll come right off. It's just water weight.
    You're right, I guess I just didn't think eating that little would have made such a difference! But I do understand it now, thanks!

Also, thanks to everyone that gave their input as well, good luck with all of your weight loss! :)
  • johnsnana
    Options
    Yep, I did the same thing. It told me to eat 1240 or so (from what I remember) but I changed my lifestyle from sedantary (which I am except for the running, I sit at the computer or in front of the t.v. all day. I changed it to active & I still go above my set calories. After being on Atkins website for 6 months I realized that when you are doing low carb you have to eat more to lose. If you try & restrict you will gain or stay the same.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    You don't seem to be overweight. You are probably gaining muscle, which will give you the results you want. You will look very good. Just keep it up. Just keep eating right and your new muscle tone will give results.
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options

I agree with this, big part of all of this is patience.