Is it good or bad to exceed your protein allowance?

Options
Do excess grams of protein get converted to fat?

Replies

• McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    no
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Excess CALORIES lead to weight gain. Actually the protein level on here are set very low. I got 115 grams in today.
  • Ivana331
    Ivana331 Posts: 230
    Options
    protein is good! :) it helps muscle, which muscle burns fat, so there ya go! I get around 60-65g per day....seems low, but even with that I am going over what MFP set for me.
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    its good
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    added proteins are good...your muscle growth needs protein.
  • ShaunaLaNee
    ShaunaLaNee Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    The protein limits set on here are too low in my opinion. On my weight lifting days I double mine easily
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I can only dream...I never even make my protein allowance...
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    The protein levels on here are set stupid low. I usually get in about 70-130g daily. Protein is good for you and helps build muscle
  • wildwv82
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • ChrisGoldn
    Options
    you know you can go into diary settings and do custom and change just the %'s 40/40/30 is fairly standard ratio many ppl use.

I don't know why MFP sets Carbs at 55%
  • Plentiful_Tentacles
    Options
    I down about 200 grams of protein, you'll be fine. I'd much rather go over on protein than on carbs or fat.
  • Ainslee921
    Options
    Personally, I go over my protein allowance, which is fine for me because I too think the protein allowance is too low; I never hit my carb allowance, which I think is too high.

Diabetes runs in my family, so personally, I'd rather have a high-protein/low-carb diet than the other way around.
  • kuger4119
    kuger4119 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    In general, MFP doesn't provide for enough protein in their default settings so going up to 50% over the default isn't going to hurt you. Ridiculous amounts of protein are unhealthy, but you've got to be over 200 g in a day to start getting into the ridiculous range. Bodybuilders get away with it because they are trying to feed (and build) huge muscles. Normal people should probably be closer to 100 g in a day.
  • ChrisGoldn
    Options
    In general, MFP doesn't provide for enough protein in their default settings so going up to 50% over the default isn't going to hurt you. Ridiculous amounts of protein are unhealthy, but you've got to be over 200 g in a day to start getting into the ridiculous range. Bodybuilders get away with it because they are trying to feed (and build) huge muscles. Normal people should probably be closer to 100 g in a day.

LOL what? I generally get 200-250g easily a day. i'm also 213lbs I hate when ppl make stupid statements.
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    you know you can go into diary settings and do custom and change just the %'s 40/40/30 is fairly standard ratio many ppl use.

I just tried doing this, I don't see the option, just the option to pick what I track not change the percentages. But honestly as long as I know what IM trying to shoot for daily it doesn't matter. Just thought it be cool to actually set it :/
  • Plentiful_Tentacles
    Options

LOL what? I generally get 200-250g easily a day. i'm also 213lbs I hate when ppl make stupid statements.

Well, that would be ridiculous if it was a 90 lb female or something like that. Your weight plays a role in how much you should eat.
  • cortexx
    cortexx Posts: 15
    Options
    When working out a rule to follow is 1gram of protein per lbs of body weight.

So if you weight 165lbs, eat 165grams a day (While working out)

Protein helps repair muscles
  • fsparks123
    Options
    You need protein to build healthy muscle, but if you take in excessive protien it can lead to kidney issues.
  • Plentiful_Tentacles
    Options

I just tried doing this, I don't see the option, just the option to pick what I track not change the percentages. But honestly as long as I know what IM trying to shoot for daily it doesn't matter. Just thought it be cool to actually set it :/

It's under the Goal tab at the My home tab. Just click custom setting or whatever and then you'll be able to set it from there
  • Veronikitta
    Options
    Protein doesn't convert to fat. I in particular have to limit my protein because of high uric acid levels. If I consume what for some is normal, I have horrible joint pain.