Pickles have few or no calories?

Options
There has to be a catch. They are one of my favorite foods. (My husband said, "Gasoline has no calories, but I won't eat that either!")

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    LOVE pickles.
    That said: store bought ones can be very high in sodium. That's the only real "catch".
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    LOVE pickles.
    That said: store bought ones can be very high in sodium. That's the only real "catch".

^ That's about it.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Not all pickles are created equal, so check out the variety. I prefer Clausenn
  • Zalli
    Zalli Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    LOVE pickles.

Yup, sodium aside, they are an awesome little snack. If I'm invited to a Girls Night and need to bring a snack, I often bring a pickle and cheese plate. Yum!
  • Brenda_1965
    Brenda_1965 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I mixed pickle juice with my salad dressing today to make it go further and tastier too! 1/3 water. 1/3 pickle juice. 1/3 French dressing. It was awesome. Then I threw in chunks of a huge pickle in the salad. Yummy!
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Pickles are mainly water, so they have very few calories. I love pickles with pickled eggs! They drive up the sodium levels but not by too much.
  • auntiemsgr8
    auntiemsgr8 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I think only the dill kind. The bread and butter pickles and other sweet ones have calories and sugar
  • cpaman87
    cpaman87 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Yes, watch out for the sweet pickles. Cucumbers, squash and zucchini are all very low in calories. I look for anything made with them.
  • jwaitman
    jwaitman Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I go straight to the original form of pickles and have been snacking on cucumbers dipped in some light ranch.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Cucumbers have few calories, plus vinegar has few calories, equals few calories.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I mixed pickle juice with my salad dressing today to make it go further and tastier too! 1/3 water. 1/3 pickle juice. 1/3 French dressing. It was awesome. Then I threw in chunks of a huge pickle in the salad. Yummy!
    You are made of awesome. Thank you for sharing that great idea!
  • Brenda_1965
    Brenda_1965 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    One of my friends on my fitness pal just told me this: An interesting thing about pickles. Vinegar contains acetic acid which delays the breakdown of carbohydrates which maintains blood sugar levels and reduces hunger between meals.
  • Snail313
    Snail313 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I am going to buy a big jar of pickles tomorrow!
  • Exill
    Exill Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I wish! I love pickles (gerkins), but they're high in calories from sugar.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    The catch is they aren't food.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    We make our own pickles, sounds weird but we do, and we actually get the cucumbers fresh from the garden because a neighbor of ours grows veggies, and every other day he is bringing them over.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Zesty Garlic Pickles are soooo good. I don't log them when I eat them but I should bc of the sodium.... they really are zero calories so unless you're concerned about sodium or eat a lot of sodium otherwise I'm sure you're fine. Just drink a lot of water!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    You can avoid the sodium by eating cucumbers instead. Pickles without the taint of vinegar. :wink: (I try not to be biased, I just dislike pickles so much!)
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    It's because the lovely cucumber is so low in calories and so packed with water. Love my cucumbers and my pickles!
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I like pickles, but the commercial brands have too much salt. I get a cucumber, slice it up, (or almost any fresh veggie) and use a little rice vinegar and garlic and soak them for, minimum, about 20 minutes. Another way is to marinate them in balsamic vinegar. I love, love, love balsamic. The best balsamic vinegars are aged for at least 6 years. You can really tell the difference in taste and color of the aged balsamic. I put it on all kinds of stuff. It has no sodium and gives MUCHO flavor. Almost any type of fresh veggies can be sauteed, then when they are almost done, put just about a half teaspoon in the pan and let it evaporate and get a little caramelized. YUM.