Question for those who have hypothyroidism....

Options
Nailrep
Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
Has your doctor told you to cut carbs in order to lose weight? Been reading up, and seeing this suggestion alot.

If you don't eat meat, what the heck are you supposed to eat?? I do eat fish and shell fish. I do eat dairy (eggs and cheese but not alot of milk).

Replies

• jpalmer19
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and my doctor has not said anything about cutting carbs. I have read that soy may inhibit the absorption of thyroid medication, so I try to avoid that, but that's about it.
  • 23Missy
    23Missy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    my dr just gave me meds to stable my thyroid. I've had thyroid problems for years and no dr has ever said anything to me about changing my diet.
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I've been dealing with it for over 10 years and never heard that suggestion.
  • mfrazine
    Options
    I cut carbs and lost 20 lbs fairly quick. Then I couldn't seem to lose anymore. I gave up and became a carb lover. I gained all my weight back and am now back to square one.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    My doctor pretty much told me to lay off of bread and eat fish. Funny thing is I really don't care for fish. Really, only because I haven't tried a whole lot. I don't like smelly fish.

I eat meat preferably chicken breast because I really love chicken. I have milk with my cereal. I eat eggs with cheese on the weekend. I eat a decent amount of fruit.

I am also currently not on any medications for hypo. I've lost 35lbs so far. So, I'd say cutting carbs to lose weight? ehhh maybe? Whatever I'm doing is working....that's all that matters
  • h2oophelia
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's and I've reduced my carb intake greatly in the last 2 months under my doc's advice. I was a carb addict! I also steer clear of soy.
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and my doctor has not said anything about cutting carbs. I have read that soy may inhibit the absorption of thyroid medication, so I try to avoid that, but that's about it.

^^ This
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I know there's no way I cut carbs completely. But I think I'm going to try reducing them by half to start to see if it will jumpstart this stupid plateau. Can't hurt to try, right?
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I have never heard that you should cut carbs if you have hypothyroidism. I've been dealing with that, along with thyroid cancer, for years, and none of my doctors have ever mentioned it. I'm not a big fan of low carb diets in the first place, carbs are fuel! Just make sure they are not simple carbs and keep your macros in check. :)