LOW CARB? Kelp Noodles, or Miracle or Shirataki Noodles

Options
I am into the LOW CARB life style~ and got to my goal, but now I want to venture out big... to noodles! LOL I am looking for the lowest carb noodle I can find out there. The Kelp has iodine... and I'm not sure... but I could be allergic to that. I have had a history of blue dye reaction yrs ago and to shell fish. The Kelp noodles have 1 carb per serving. But I think I should skip trying those. What about Miracle Noodles and Shirataki Noodles??? I found different brands doing the search on myfitnesspal.com and not sure which is the best. Any suggestions?

Replies

• caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    there's a post about dry frying the shirataki, look into that.

i use dreamfields personally.
  • cprice05
    cprice05 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I totally need this post. I don't have anything to contribute, unfortunately, but am embarking on the low carb lifestyle. Thus far I have only used zucchini for "spaghetti."
  • Dahllywood
    Dahllywood Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    You could try spaghetti squash. It's pretty easy to cook and keeps for awhile. I actually haven't tried any yet but I know that it's a fantastic noodle alternative.
  • Mrs_Holly
    Options
    spaghetti squash has about 10 carbs for 1 cup... I am looking at something lower. I have used it and LOVE it! Thank you for giving me a reply!! :) Every input helps me make this list I am working on. That is added to it now :)
  • Mrs_Holly
    Options
    dreamfields has "shirataki" noodles? Or are you talking pasta?? I only know dreamfields to have regular pasta...
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    dreamfields has "shirataki" noodles? Or are you talking pasta?? I only know dreamfields to have regular pasta...

when i want noodles, i use dreamfields. which is rare. i was never a pasta fan.

i just meant if you do try the shirataki, research the post about dry frying them.
  • Mrs_Holly
    Options
    thankful for everyones thoughts and comments. I don't know these products so I wanted to ask you~ THANK YOU~! :)
  • starkid120
    starkid120 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I've been eating WildWood Spinach Fettuccine shirataki tofu noodles.

They are only 2 net carbs for half the bag. Love them!! ;9
  • Mrs_Holly
    Options
    Oh wow~ really. Now that's what I'm looking for. I'll add that to my list.
  • sheilsun
    sheilsun Posts: 47
    Options
    hi, we love Miracle Noodles at our house. They have zerio calories, zerio carbs and NO tofu or soy which I prefer not to have. I like them because there are so many varieties of the shirataki noodles which you can find on their site www.miraclenoodle.com. I get them either at a local Whole Foods or order at their website or Amazon. Really cool is their great Facebook page where their fans share great recipes, easy, quick, international and very delicious. Their latest ones were pesto fettucinni, Mriacle Rice and Beans mexicali, I think they are the best!
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Dreamfields Stay away, read my blog about fake foods http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LowcarbNY/view/the-food-industry-is-a-blood-sucking-vampire-293655

Miracle noodles - Blah, nothing to them. not bad but not good

Tofu based shiratake. Much better, 2 net carb/serving so that makes 4 per pkg. More like a real noodle, imho.

Re: Iodine, I've heard that some folks who express an allergy to shell fish may be having a flush response to the high levels of iodine.
    Others are allergic. Not sure how to tell the difference.
  • Mrs_Holly
    Options
    Thank you... now to find them. I can't wait to try them. Thanks :)
  • Mrs_Holly
    Options
    Never heard of doing that... I will look into that~ might be good!
  • Mrs_Holly
    Options
    Thank you Sheilsun~
  • DizzyNurse
    Options
    The Shirataki pasta is ok. It's a little more "mushy" than I like my pasta but the taste is good, also very low calorie and carb and have protein. I get mine at Huckleberries, which is a whole foods market here. Also, as someone else posted, Spaghetti squash is a very tasty pasta replacement but I don't know the nutrition data on that.
  • ashleyanh410
    ashleyanh410 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Shirataki noodles are awesome! The ones with tofu taste more like real pasta but the yam ones are good in stir fries. Definitely read up on the dry frying/washing steps though! It makes all the difference. :)
  • kimmae17
    kimmae17 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    spaghetti squash is the best!
  • Kiki829
    Kiki829 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    We bought 8 bags of the kelp noodles. We still have 7 bags left in the fridge. They aren't bad, per se, but they are kind of crunchy, which is off-putting if you are really hoping for a spaghetti-like texture.
  • Mrs_Holly
    Options
    for me, in counting carbs, spaghetti squash is a bit to high in carbs... BUT I used to eat it and did love it. With butter or sauces... Just right now as I have reach my goal I am looking for something for lower carbs~ but PLEASE keep telling me your thoughts and/or suggestions.