Interim Work Clothing Question

Options
The good news is that my dress pants are getting huge on me - as in I have to wear heels to work and I'm still stepping on them. Unfortunately, one of these days I'm going to get a heel caught and fall flat on my face....not to mention that one day they wont just sit too low on my hips, but fall off.....

How are you all handling this? Are you buying a new, limited wardrobe or getting your clothes altered and why did you make that decision?

Replies

• gmichaelguy
    gmichaelguy Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Alter until they reach limit. Then buy a few hold over basics and continue them until altering them no longer works. Look for pieces that you can wear multiple times a week and not look obvious. Then when you reach goal, go crazy.
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Alterations are how I'm handling it.

My work trousers are expensive so having them altered is more cost effective than buying new every month or so.
    Of course you need to find a great alterations shop. I've learned the hard way through trial and error that a good seamstress is worth their weight in gold.
  • wonderkitten711
    wonderkitten711 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a little bit of both. Things I can take in based on my limited sewing knowledge and little sewing machine, I'm taking in. I've also set aside some of our "fun money" in the budget for the next year or so to buy those pieces I can't really take in without completely wrecking the fit (jeans, some of my dresses) and stuff that well... how do you take it in (undergarments of all varieties). Until I get to goal weight/size, I'm buying mostly at Ross, consignment shops, outlet malls, etc, so that I can minimize the cost of the new clothes as much as possible.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    dresses and skirts. that's my plan. dresses work with range of sizes better than pants.
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I'm buying only a couple sets dress pants. I bought some that were a bit on the tight side (small 38") and am wearing the loose ones (stretchy 42) with my belt done tight until the tighter ones fit a little better... that way I don't have to buy too many sizes on the way down. Should be able to wear the 38 until I get to my goal of 34" and then will buy more.

I'm dealing with the baggier dress shirts, although I may cave and buy a couple smaller ones once I lose more.
  • maureendonahue
    maureendonahue Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    One way I have coped with the changing sizes is to go elastic. Having an elastic in the waist band (usually in the back-with button and zipper in the front) will shrink with the waist for quite awhile, often 2 or more sizes. I also wear skirts most of the time, as the pants get just too big at the thigh and look like clown pants.

When I finally absolutely needed replacements, I bought a few basic items a little on the snug side. That way as I continue to shrink, they will last longer.

Good luck continuing your journey!
  • dawnp1833
    dawnp1833 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I've tried washing my clothes in hot water and drying on high to shrink them. Don't do that. It doesn't really work. :noway:

All of my shorts are too big now, but most stores are out of shorts for the season so I'm having a hard time getting interim shorts. I was walking my dog today and holding my shorts up with one hand. I guess it's a good problem to have.

Work clothes, I'm buying at discount shops to hold me over until I reach my goal. I mostly wear black pants, because you can get away with that multiple days without being noticed. And I got some cheap tank tops that i wear under the bigger shirts, which I just leave unbuttoned.
  • gypsykitchen
    Options
    I have the same problem. Thankfully, there's a good thrift store near me where I've been finding lots of great new-to-me stuff for cheap. Also, I've invested in a couple good cincher belts to make shirts seem less baggy, and I've been taking in pants and other stuff myself using my very limited sewing skills. Here are a couple great tutorials on taking in a pair of pants:

http://www.thetraintocrazy.com/2012/01/taking-pants-down-a-size-or-two-tutorial.html
    http://cottonandcurls.blogspot.com/2011/06/another-way-to-take-in-your-pants-or-in.html

Also, I've sewn belt loops onto my work pants to keep them from falling off. :)
  • MelbourneBelle
    MelbourneBelle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Thankfully, there's a good thrift store near me where I've been finding lots of great new-to-me stuff for cheap. Also, I've invested in a couple good cincher belts to make shirts seem less baggy, and I've been taking in pants and other stuff myself using my very limited sewing skills. Here are a couple great tutorials on taking in a pair of pants:

http://www.thetraintocrazy.com/2012/01/taking-pants-down-a-size-or-two-tutorial.html
    http://cottonandcurls.blogspot.com/2011/06/another-way-to-take-in-your-pants-or-in.html

Also, I've sewn belt loops onto my work pants to keep them from falling off. :)

I'm inspired - great work gypsykitchen!