What is your favorite protein bar?

Options
MelStren
MelStren Posts: 457 Member
I'm looking for a protein bar I can put in my lunch box. What's your favorite pre-packaged protein bar?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for a protein bar I can put in my lunch box. What's your favorite pre-packaged protein bar?

If you're already packing your lunch, wouldn't it be just as easy to put a chicken breast, tuna sandwich etc in there for extra protein?
  • healthymission92
    Options
    I saw a recipe for a homemade one.
    I think it was (I'm not too sure though)
    Protein powder (preferably chocolate)
    Peanut butter
    Oats

Mix together and put in the fridge to set, it says to add a little water. I have not made them so don't know how they'd turn out!
  • haylz247
    haylz247 Posts: 435
    Options
    detour lean muscle cookie dough caramel crisp. yummy!
    really filling too!
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options

If you're already packing your lunch, wouldn't it be just as easy to put a chicken breast, tuna sandwich etc in there for extra protein?

I guess I should have said that on the days I pack my lunch, I don't have access to a fridge, so I'm looking for stuff to pack that will not need it.
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I haven't yet found one that isn't mediocre at best. I just grabbed some Pure Protein bars yesterday which have 20g protein, 16g carbs and 6g sugar. Protein bars, at least those I've seen (including these) are glorified candy bars. Not that I won't enjoy eating them, but I'll feel guilty about it. :)

I'd double-check this but I'm pretty sure a hard-boiled egg remains edible for several hours after cooking without being refrigerated, why not pack a couple of those?

Hopefully somebody has an actually great one to suggest, I'd love to know about it too.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    A cold mixed bean "salad" would be good. I like black beans, white beans, seasons, salsa, small diced onions and bell pepper.

Put some ice cold water into a thermos, swish and then put what you want in there and it'll stay cold. for the 5'ish hours to lunch.

**I know you asked about bars, I was just suggesting higher protein lunch ideas. I don't particularly care for protein bars.
  • Plentiful_Tentacles
    Options
    No joke, this protein bar is the BEST bar I've had. It tastes equal to if not better than an actual candy bars. If you happen not to like it though, you could always buy a protein powder that you really like and make them yourself.

You can order a free sample of the site if you want to try it out, although I'd rather just buy a whole box C:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/iss/oh.html
  • Plentiful_Tentacles
    Options
    Detour is a good choice too ;O
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I love Quest bars. Super yummy (I prefer the Cinnamon Roll or Coconut Cashew), no sugar, 170 calories, 17g fiber and 20g protein. I'm not a fan of the chocolate brownie flavor and I've heard the cheesecake isn't so good. They're hard to find though. I get them at the Vitamin Shoppe but you can also find them online.
  • Cynde18
    Cynde18 Posts: 1
    Options
    I do not enjoy any of them, which is why I make my own. Sorry. They are easy to make and can be left out of the fridge. Let me know if you need some recipes, etc.
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I like Luna Bars. Nutz Over Chocolate is my favorite.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Luna Protein bars. They have a couple of chocolate-y ones. They are formulated especially for women, so they have the extra vit D, calcium, and iron our bodies need. They also have a slightly lower amount of protein, and fewer calories (keeping the macros in good balance) than many protein bars, which are targeted at body builders.

Yummy!
  • TravisBurns
    TravisBurns Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    while It's not a protein bar its a nice little source of protein. Muscle Milk doesn't need refrigeration .
  • susie2qt
    Options
    Anything by Oh yeah awesome stuff... Lots of protein.
  • mnlght535
    Options
    Herbalife Citrus Lemon or Vanilla Almond bars are absolutely fabulous. They don't taste chalky or like cardboard like some others I have tasted. I also agree with previous posts hard boiled eggs, chicken and tuna are all excellent choices for protein as well but I like to also have a protein bar throughout the day some days because it really is like a treat and they taste so delicious.
  • mnlght535
    Options
    I do not enjoy any of them, which is why I make my own. Sorry. They are easy to make and can be left out of the fridge. Let me know if you need some recipes, etc.

I wouldn't mind some protein bar recipes. I'm always on the look out for a good recipe :)
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    ThinkThin bars, hands down. Peanut butter, White chocolate, and tangerine creamiscle are my favorites.

Available at most grocery stores, drug stores, and bodegas depending on where you live. Safeway and Whole Foods both carry 'em.
  • daylily2005
    daylily2005 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I just bought some Luna Cookie dough bars. 12g of protein and a little fiber. they taste good, a little tart, but you get used to it. I noticed that Luna has lots of flavors, and they've come out with this new "protein" bar (I guess the originals weren't protein heavy). I'd recommend them :) Going to try a PB one next time.

I guess another plus is they have calcium, iron, and folic acid. all good for us ladies (and I know I don't get enough as-is)

Edit: and I got mine at target. just under $6 for 6 bars, so a good price, too :)
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Luna chocolate peppermint bar. Mmmm!
  • morninglilli
    Options
    Luna cherry almond...YUMMY!!!!!