Quitting Smoking

Options
Is anyone else going through the process of quitting smoking?

I have done this before but this time it seems so much worse
Im on Day 2 and I am having the worst withdrawal symptoms and the leg twitching is driving me insane and im soooo tired!!

Replies

• rach_00
    rach_00 Posts: 72
    Options
    Bump
  • DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Have you tried green smoke? It's expensive at first but it's SO much cheaper than smoking and really takes the edge off =)
  • Fitty_Cent
    Fitty_Cent Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 388 days ago. What helped me was using the Livestrong quit smoking app.

Keep at it until you succeed!
  • tharrington82
    tharrington82 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am on day 13. It's hard, it sucks, but I know it is for the best. We can do this. I have been using the quit now app!
  • sandhillsmom
    sandhillsmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 6 of smoke free. I've tried patches, cold turkey, weaning myself off and this time I know I'm going to make it. It does get easier as each day passes! Hang in there!!
  • Chipmunk222
    Chipmunk222 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    ACV straight for tough cravings that wont go away (like a shot) and a tsp ACV mixed with water and sip throughout the day to keep you sane. I smoked since I was 12 and was able to quit, cold turkey with hardly no withdrawals, no nic patch or gum.

ACV = raw apple cider vinegar ( i use braggs)
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    someone wrote into curves magazine saying they quite buy drinking lots of water using a straw. The straw helps with the sucking and the water flushes the nicatin out of your body faster.
  • vanillasugar
    vanillasugar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I've been smoke-free for just over 2 months. I used (and still infrequently use) an electronic cigarette when the cravings get super intense. Using it less and less every day.
  • LemonBurns
    LemonBurns Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    www.whyquit.com = AWEsome!
  • Tan43
    Tan43 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I quit 18 months ago. It does get easier and I agree with using a straw for some inital relief as you are using the same motion of having a ciggie without the nasty stuff that you actually inhale. Please keep going as it is worth it. You are worth it!! Your lungs and whole body in general will reap the rewards. Today I ran 10 km (6.22 miles) without a problem due to my much improved lung capacity. Every urge take a deep breath and work your way through it.

Good Luck!:happy:
  • quickchekgal
    quickchekgal Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Me me! Feel free to add me. It is quite difficult. I have quit in the past and didn't have a problem...but right now it is super hard. I went for awhile where I wouldn't smoke at all during the week and would have a few on the weekends. Then of course I get stressed and smoke a bunch. That is my main problem. I am a stress smoker!
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    2 and a half weeks completely clear of smoking ( we caved in a couple weekends ago and stupidly got some off a friend while out) finally not feeling like I want one. Have one of those inhaler things but honestly cant be bothered to use it, its horrible and probably helped just for the fact that it felt that stupid sitting there sucking on plastic. Feel a ton better already. Keep it up, its worth it for your body and mind!
  • DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I quit on QuitNet with a lot of support from others who were doing the same. I haven't logged in to that site in ages, so I logged in just to see my stats:

Time Smoke-Free: 2408 days, 20 hours, 39 minutes and 45 seconds
    Cigarettes NOT smoked: 26497
    Lifetime Saved: 6 months, 22 days, 9 hours
    Money Saved: $7,287.22

Totally worth it! I used the patch as it was intended to be used. I followed the instructions to the letter. I really appreciated the QuitNet site, which is actually a lot like MFP in some respects.

You can do it. Never quit quitting! Protect your quit, even when it isn't an easy one.
  • hll2465
    hll2465 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am about four days in myself. I was so tired and feeling like crap the first few days. It is getting easier though...Hang in there!
  • j_wilson2012
    Options
    Marijuana is NOT good substitute. Boo. Why not cocaine, or meth?
    3 weeks no smoking TODAY! quit cold turkey. Used the gum for a few days, but ditched them because it didn't help.
    I still have mulitple cravings per day, but I counter it. As you know, weight gain is substantial in the first few weeks, so you will need to work twice as hard as everyone else to keep it down. TRUST ME, I KNOW.
    CARROTS AND SUNFLOWER SEEDS. LOTS AND LOTS OF SUNFLOWER SEEDS. Also, You know that after-meal smoke that you crave? finish your plate, and then eat something else that is not related to the dinner. It works, it subsides the want to smoke.

What are your reasons for quitting? If you have ten reasons, and not ONE of them is for yourself, you will fail. I just want to make sure you are quitting for yourself. That is the only way to gain success.

FIGHT IT! Whenever you want to smoke, replace that with a walk, a jog, a swim, a bike ride. NEVER A DRIVE!
    You can do this. I am. Next week will mark the longest I have ever gone without a cigarette since I was 13. I am turning 26 on Tuesday.

P.S.----I have tried 3 times before to quit, but I was fooling myself, because I didn't quit for me. I also had knick-knack tricks too, like gum, straw, patch. This time, I Don't have nothin like that. I choose healthy food to snack on. Love me some carrots, and it takes forever to eat a serving of sunflower seeds.
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options
    ACV straight for tough cravings that wont go away (like a shot) and a tsp ACV mixed with water and sip throughout the day to keep you sane. I smoked since I was 12 and was able to quit, cold turkey with hardly no withdrawals, no nic patch or gum.

ACV = raw apple cider vinegar ( i use braggs)

Never heard of this before. This is something I should pass around to a few friends of mine. Is it hard to find?
  • WickedPixie1
    WickedPixie1 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    This is my second *serious* time around. First time I quit for 5 years....add a very drunk birthday evening and a lot of smokers and bang.
    This time it's been 3 months, pretty much cold turkey. Chewed Nicorette gum for about a week...about 1 or 2 a day and that was it.
    I still get cravings, but they don't last and I can breathe again. The crap is starting to make an exit from my lungs, and while it's not very pleasant, I know I'm so much better off.
    Keep up the good work, it's so worth it and I kick myself in the @ss for ever starting up again.
  • brasslady1
    brasslady1 Posts: 113
    Options
    My Hubby and I quit almost 11 years ago and let me tell you if my husband can quit anybody can do it....Actually I felt like it was easier to quit smoking than it is to lose weight......After all you have to eat...but you don't have to smoke....
  • ShinyFuture
    ShinyFuture Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I quit the end of March '12. The nicotine mini-lozenges saved me. I use the brand name ones and they are spendy - about $35 for a 3-pack, but it got me through the first month. You can get the regular size lozenges in a larger amount for less money at Costco, but the mini's worked better for me. I did need a second 3-pack, but after 20 years I don't smoke anymore and I love being a non-smoker.

Good Luck!