PANT SIZES - WTF!

Options
Ok so I have been reading some posts out here where people mentioned their current pant sizes. I saw a posting of someone who currently weighs a little over 260 and says she is a size 18. I currently weigh 224 LBS and I too am in a size 18. So my question is how the hell can someone who weighs about 36 lbs more than me be wearing the same pant size????? This depresses my motivation. I am a short person. My height is 5'1. My cousing who is 5'3 weighs like 265-270 and she is in a size 20. When I weighed 256 LBS I was in a size 22 nearly 23. Again I say WTF!!!! Someone help me understand this please. Yes I am "curvy" but still.....

Needed to let it out and vent...

Replies

• CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    How tall what the person who weighs 260?
  • Road2Hotness
    Options
    I think she said she was like 5'5 or 5'6
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Hight makes most of the diference. I think the person you refered ttaller and a few inches is quite a bit to streatch weight over, not to mention everyone stores fat diferently, they may be the same size pants as you, but you may wear a smaller top, depending on weight distribution and body type.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Partially it depends on the brand and style. I can fit into a size 4 in one store and barely squeeze into a size 10 in another. It is really frustrating that womens sizes are not standardized. Don't let it get you down.
  • AGG115
    AGG115 Posts: 62
    Options
    I think Crystal's onto the right idea. I wonder if that person carried more of their weight above the waist? That's the only thing I can think of.
  • dolphin7
    dolphin7 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I think its where you carry the weight, some people carry weight all over, and some its in certain areas. Maybe this is the answer? I have to say I understand your question though, I'm 5'2", and I wore a bigger size but weighed less than my friend who is 4" taller than me. She just carried her weight all over, I carry mine in the tummy, and back, lol.
  • Road2Hotness
    Options
    Hight makes most of the diference. I think the person you refered ttaller and a few inches is quite a bit to streatch weight over, not to mention everyone stores fat diferently, they may be the same size pants as you, but you may wear a smaller top, depending on weight distribution and body type.
    Edited by erickirb on Tue 01/05/10 10:45 AM

This is true - I do wear a size 18 pants but my shirts are currently at an XL. No more plus sizes for me when it comes to shirts.
  • roxannetl
    Options
    I would not let that discourage you. I was 185 and was wearing a size 16. Pants fit everyone so different, they are not a good way for you to compare yourself to others. Hope you stick with it :)
  • emoodze
    emoodze Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Muscle matters too. It weighs more than fat. More importantly though, what are you doing now to help yourself regain focus and keep up the hard work? What are you celebrating about your progress?

"By celebrating what's right with the world (or ourselves), we find the energy to fix what's wrong." ~ DeWitt Jones. Parenthesis are my addition. Good luck!
  • veracruz
    veracruz Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I can't explain it either. At my smallest, I was a size 10 and weighed 165 lbs. Most people don't believe me when I say that. And I have a friend who is a size 6 but just try to pick that girl up - she's SOLID! I think it's just how some people carry the weight and how "dense" their weight is.
  • CrystalT
    Options
    I would like to say that it is the height, but I'm 5'9" and I weigh about 220 and I'm wearing a size 18. When I was at 260, I was wearing a size 22-24. I can only think that it has to be with how the weight is carried. I carry my weight in my waist and abs while my butt and my legs are pretty thin in compairson. I have to wear a size 18 to fit my waist but everything is usually baggy in the butt and legs. I bought new jeans a few weeks ago and the 2nd time I wore them someone asked why I was wearing my baggy jeans instead of my new ones.
  • Road2Hotness
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I just had to let it out. LOL!

I think I carry my weight pretty evenly around my body which is cool because as I lose the weight it falls out pretty evenly around my body. I'm just going to keep doing what I am doing and not giving the "pant size" much importance. If it looks good to me then I know I am on the right trail. :drinker:
  • ourgang
    ourgang Posts: 229
    Options
    I have lost 30 lbs before and still didn't drop a size... Right now I am too in a size 18 after lossing about 25 lbs and yes I am STILL a size 18.....
    The one thing I do, do now is measure myself!!
    I have found that it helps me stay motivated when the scale and pants are going down. I lost 5 inches in 6 weeks... that lets me know I am on the right track..

Best of Luck
    God Bless
  • CrystalT
    Options
    I think Crystal's onto the right idea. I wonder if that person carried more of their weight above the waist? That's the only thing I can think of.

Yeah, if the woman was well-endowed in the breast department that can easily add some pounds. I wonder how much of a weight difference it makes if a person is naturally an A-cup compaired to someone who is a DD?
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    It completely depends on brand/cut/style of pants AND the weight distrubition/muscle mass/frame size/height of the person wearing the pants.

I posted in that thread because I'm almost 5'4" and currently 227 and wear a 16 (18 denim). From what I can tell, this is atypical and I'm a smaller size (inches wise) than most folks my height/weight. I wore a (sometimes tight) size 20 at 270.
  • Road2Hotness
    Options
    I'm sorry for anyone out there with DD's but they are NOT fun! LOL! I used to be a DDD and after fighting with my doctors they agreed to cover a breast reduction surgery. They took 2 - 2.5 lbs off of each breast. I am now a size C cup and LOVING IT! My back is also definately loving it. It's amazing how 2 - 2.5 lbs can do to a persons back.
  • AF_wifevaughn
    Options
    everyone carrys there weight in diffrent places and also wear there pant below and above there belly so you might wear your pants above your belly and she night wear her pant below the belly. if i wore my pants above my belly i would be a size 14 and since i wear my pant below in wear a 13 you get it? i dont know if i explained that right im tired and just finish working out lol
  • pmaria10
    pmaria10 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I have a person in my life that recently had a child, weighs about 270, and squeezes into size 16s. It's not pretty and we've advised against doing so, however, she continues to disregard our comments. (We're nice about it)

This might be the case. I say stick to the straight and narrow. Keep up the good work and you'll be out of those 18s in no time.

Toodles!
  • phollywood8785
    Options
    I soooo get what you are saying!
  • hjmygatt
    Options
    Yeah, I never quite got that either! I am 5'7" and weighted 220 and was in a size 16. Now I weight 175 and am in a 12 (which is great!). It can be so frustrating trying to find the right size and fit, especially in jeans, for your height and weight, no matter what they are.