Disheartened

Options
Was working out for 5 days a week about an hour a day for about 3 weeks then I've been doing Insanity for a week. I've busted my *kitten* and not only have I gained back a pound, I've gained inches in my arms, waist, neck, and thighs. What am I missing? How is this possible. I'm eating my allotted 1550 and eating healthy except for a small things every couple days or so. But those small items shouldn't make or break me. Maybe it's muscle weighing more than fat? But honestly, I'm not a small girl so something should happen, right? How does one see little to no progress after hard work and eating (mostly) correctly?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It's not uncommon to see a weight gain when we start a new workout routine, especially one like Insanity, because our body floods sore musclees with water to help them heal. Drink tons of water to help flush out the excess and thee scale should start to move in the right direction soon.
  • MtTovey
    MtTovey Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hmph. :grumble: Okay.

ETA: If I mostly drink water, all day, every day, wouldn't that already be happening?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Your body is storing water and glycogen to recover from the strenuous workouts. Take some measurements. You may be losing fat but it's not reflecting on the scale. In fact I'd say that's highly likely. This will normalize over time. You are improving your muscles but not growing them so that would not be it. Just keep at it. You are doing great! Ignore the scale for a awhile.
  • MtTovey
    Options
    Your body is storing water and glycogen to recover from the strenuous workouts. Take some measurements. You may be losing fat but it's not reflecting on the scale. In fact I'd say that's highly likely. This will normalize over time. You are improving your muscles but not growing them so that would not be it. Just keep at it. You are doing great! Ignore the scale for a awhile.

I've already mentioned in my OP that I'm also gaining inches as well because I am taking measurements.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    I agree with the post above, your muscles retain fluid to repair.

Couple other things, though. Are you eating 1550 NET calories? So you are adding in the exercise from Insanity, and eating those extra calories?

And, it may be that you are not logging correctly. Are you weighing and measuring all your food?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

I've already mentioned in my OP that I'm also gaining inches as well because I am taking measurements.

That can happen. Weight lifters call it "getting a pump". Give it some time. You'll be fine. You are in deficit and your body is reacting to the new workout routine.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    eating healthy except for a small things every couple days or so.

...eating (mostly) correctly?
    Work on making sure your diet is being tracked accurately. Do this for at least a month. Small things can really add up, you don't see this unless you diligently track your calories.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    This is really new. Give yourself one more month to see if really you are gaining fat.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    it would be really helpful to see your food diary...there may be some helpful things to be said. how is your sodium? you can track that in your food diary as well...
  • MtTovey
    Options
    I agree with the post above, your muscles retain fluid to repair.

Couple other things, though. Are you eating 1550 NET calories? So you are adding in the exercise from Insanity, and eating those extra calories?

And, it may be that you are not logging correctly. Are you weighing and measuring all your food?

I do eat as close to net cals as possible. Due to work schedule, I may fall short some days. Others, I accidentally go over. But I get it as close as possible every day. Also, I don't weigh, but I measure my food.
  • MtTovey
    Options

That can happen. Weight lifters call it "getting a pump". Give it some time. You'll be fine. You are in deficit and your body is reacting to the new workout routine.

Okay. Thank you!
  • MtTovey
    Options
    eating healthy except for a small things every couple days or so.

...eating (mostly) correctly?
    Work on making sure your diet is being tracked accurately. Do this for at least a month. Small things can really add up, you don't see this unless you diligently track your calories.

I track every thing that lands in my purty little mouth because I don't want to fall into that trap! Thank you for your help!
  • MtTovey
    Options
    it would be really helpful to see your food diary...there may be some helpful things to be said. how is your sodium? you can track that in your food diary as well...

Eh, I would open it but when people get into it, they can sometimes be VERY judgmental and I just haven't been a fan of that. But that being said, since I've been tracking everything, I do track my sodium and only went over once and sometimes not even getting close, I also track my fiber along with Cals, carbs, fats, and protein. And honestly, you can ask me anything and I won't be upset to answer it, I just would rather avoid the whole attack me because I had a 3.6 oz Chocolate Haagen-Daz twice in a week even though it fit into my daily allotments. :laugh:
  • aleshai
    aleshai Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I don't really have advice, just sympathy because we are in the same boat. I have been on MFP over 45 days now, have tracked my calories and done really well... but haven't lost anything. I have gone down an inch or two, but I'm not going to quit!! The alternative is to stop tracking and working out... and be right back where I was, gaining weight!

Best of luck to you!!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    another thing to keep in mind is to make sure you are measuring at the same exact spots.
  • arock1000
    arock1000 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I just friended you but I wanted to put this out there for anybody else that has experienced what you're going through. Read this:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html
  • PandaCustard
    PandaCustard Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it. I started seriously in June and lost a couple of pounds before completely stalling for about three weeks, and now it's just melting off again. Your body is fighting you... fight it back!
  • FitnSassy
    FitnSassy Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • krystymc
    krystymc Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I just friended you but I wanted to put this out there for anybody else that has experienced what you're going through. Read this:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html

ahmahgads! good link, thank you!

OP i'm sure this is what you're going through and suddenly it's going to get better. and then you'll be left wondering what you did right in that moment so you can repeat it! but it sounds like you're already doing a great job of changing your lifestyle.
  • MtTovey
    Options
    I really appreciate all the helpful advice and kind words. I've just kept gaining since out was out of high school and since I am trying to join the Air Force and have a time limit, due to my age, not having one of those lovely bodies that just drip fat by dropping caloric drinks (Which I've never really had too much soda on an everyday basis anyway) just sucks. lol But yay for those who can! And I'll read the link right now! :happy: