Discourged and feel like giving up :(

Options
13»

Replies

• BethGaw
    BethGaw Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. Just don't. It's hard when you have health issues that make working out difficult but just gently persevere. Do what you can and be kind to yourself. The feeling when you get there does so much for your mental and physical health. You can do it. Just sitting still for a while leaves me limping around though I'm only 52. We've all just got to keep at it.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I've only got about 20 lb. left to lose, but I feel like giving up. Due to sciatica and knee issues, I can't push myself very hard (the one time that I really need to!). Sometimes, even grocery shopping leaves me limping around.

I feel like no matter how I eat or how much I push myself to workout, it'll never be enough. People at this weight loss stage are running or working out like mad. I can barely do 20 jumping jacks without hurting myself. So, what's the point in trying anymore?

How did you get the issues with sciatica and knees? How long have you been a vegan? You can't give up at only 22 years of age.
  • gailosborne
    Options
    You will always regret giving up...keep going slow and steady. You can do it =)
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    You know I read this and was soooo tempted to get snarky - but I will try not to be.

I am going into hospital for a total knee replacement on Friday - since the beginning of the year I have been in agony most days, but that has not stopped me from working out 5 to 6 days a week - and most days get 500 calorie plus burns.....not one day have I said "I feel like giving up....."

When you have injuries you have one of two options - you can play the victim and go "poor me", or you can choose to find ways to work around your injury - Personally I chose the second option - my health and fitness is too important to me to not do that!!
    At 52 I just realised that my body is going to pack up and challenge me in ways that is not always ideal - but that is not going to stop me from being the best I can be.

I do massive upper body weight workouts - and have increased hugely in my strength
    I do "kick boxing" once a week - we need to go light on the kicking bit, I have to be quite "flat footed", but I pack a massive punch with my fists and elbows.
    I swim and do aqua aerobics, most days I spend 30 minutes on a stationary bike, and I can also row on the rowing machine at the gym...
    I also get a huge cardio workout from battle ropes, sledgehammer throws and kettle bell swings...

So - if you want this bad enough you can do it - good luck and I hope you find something that works for you :-)
  • Kaity12336
    Options
    Never give up! I will be going to boot camp at 14 years of age and with my weight and not give up even when last year i fractured my foot but kept running and working out with every one else. Not once did I say I quit or Im done. So do not give up! its just 20 lbs. Just eat a little less. or go to internet sites that have weight loss tips. Or even try just upper body work outs. And if you work out every day If you stop for 1 day and take a break it wont kill you. infact it makes you morre motivated to keep going the next day. So good luck. and Do not quit
  • Meraid
    Meraid Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I gave up almost a year ago and can't help but think... if I hadn't given up back then, would I be happy now? YES. Now I'm under a time limit. And when I feel like today just isn't my day, I stick to monitoring my food. You don't have to work out to lose weight! Focus on your diet for now, until more of the weight is off, and try what everyone else is saying and try yoga or swimming. Try things that won't strain your knee. I'm also young, and I hurt my knee bad more than a year ago. It hurts when I strain it. So I try my best to work around it until it improves.
    Good luck and don't give up now!
  • Clarevmb
    Clarevmb Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    never give up!
    weight loss is mostly calorie control, noticed on one of the forums some one quoted it as 80% calorie control, 20% exercise.

Feel for you as you're being forced to stop you're normal exercise routine through health issues but do wonder how you would be if you gave up exercise and put weight back on again? As others mention swimming is great and basic yoga worth a try..
    Or a fitness DVD as these days they're often broken up into short sections and initially follow the beginners just to try to keep yourself moving as much as you can manage at the moment.

Good luck
  • speediejane
    speediejane Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    do not give up- water workouts and cycling low impact workouts are needed-onwards and upwards:smile:
  • mummy_gerdes
    mummy_gerdes Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    have you tried rebouncding (trampoline) i have bad knees also and am the same as you cant push as hard sometimes but i found that a rebounder or my nephews trampoline is a great workout and my knees are not as bad after wards. it is a hell of a work out aswell!! keep going 20 pounds is a great finsh sight to have!

xxx