Non-fridge office food

Options
sheepysaccount
sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
So, I got more hours at work (YAY!) Which means that on three days of the week I'll be at work for dinner time (anytime between 6 and 8 pm for me). Why dinner items can I bring that I can put in my personal cupboard at work? I don't want to put it in the fridge because it looks "ick" and it's too crowded. We share a smallish fridge with 50 or so employees.

I don't care what my dinner is, as long as it's not raw paprika or avocado. Other than that, I am pretty much eating anything. Also, there's a supermarket right around the corner, so I could go there if I needed something refrigerated for dinner.

Thanks so much!!!

Replies

• hookandy
    hookandy Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a microwave? If so you could grab a box of eggs and do scrambled eggs and add bits as you fancy. The supermarket just round the corner from me does crayfish tails in a small pot.

Otherwise salads and add protien, tinned fish or prawns etc.
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    What I have done (because I, too, don't want to use the office's refrigerator) is get a lunch cooler (it's a soft one) and an ice pack. (which may or may not work for you if you're waiting for dinner) but by lunch time my frozen dinners are still frozen -- especially if I don't open it in the hours at work. Assuming you have access to a microwave!

My step-father fills up an ice cooler with ice and puts in cold cuts ands fruits and stuff to take to work and that stays good all day (roughly 12ish hours). It's a little more wieldy than just a lunch bag, but might be worth it!

It might work for you, that's an option to have frozen or just "cool" foods for dinner. Otherwise, I might just run to the supermarket on those late night days to grab something affordable from the deli.

Good luck to you!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I have a thetrmos-type lunch flask which I put leftovers in and then stick in the fridge overnight. It's still cold for lunchtime, but I can also stick it into the microwave at work to heat up if need be. That or a lunch bag with an ice pack would probably do it - no need to go near the icky fridge.....
  • lil_pixie
    Options
    I keep packages of cous cous at work and then make them up for dinner when I need them. Just add boiling water and leave for 5 mins and it's ready = yummy dinner that's low in fat.

Or maybe keep tins of soup there and heat those up? If you don't like tins make your own and take it in a flask. It should keep warm til dinner time.

I also agree that scrambled eggs in the microwave is a good idea.
  • PaveGurl
    PaveGurl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    At my desk I currently have three shelf stable meals (Healthy Choice pasta and two Asian shelf-stable things), a bag of dates, a bag of prunes, several packets of oatmeal, a jar of peanut butter, a package of sunflower seeds, some trail mix, a small tub of protein powder, a few tins of Vienna sausages, and some granola bars. Add some water and a microwave, and I've got several full meals that don't require being chilled :-D
  • sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Those are some great ideas, thanks. Yes, we have a microwave so I'll see what I can do with it :)