Do I eat the calories I'm burning through exercise?

Options
Hi,

People keep telling me different things, so I'm confused! I'm eating 1200 cals a day and burning approx 400-500 through exercise do I eat the 1200 plus the extra I've burnt or just the 1200? I'm trying to lose approx 1 kg a week.

Thanks
Jess

Replies

• DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I don't eat mine back, SO many people will tell you to but I think you should IF you're hungry, it gives you a bit of wriggle room
  • MerBear1985
    Options
    If you have MFP set up to lose then if you eat your exercise calories back you still have a deficit.

i.e. if you have a daily goal of 1200 and you have MFP set to lose 1 kg a week then if you eat back exercise you will NET 1200 per day. The program integrates the calorie deficit already.

That being said everyone is different and everyone will tell you different things. You just have to try it out and see what works for you, but you have to try it for a few weeks up to a month to see if it works.

Also, if you have less than 22 kg to lose, then 1 kg is quite a bit per week...normally it would be around 0.5kg per week with less to lose.

The key thing is that you have to figure out what works for you. There is no magic setting that works for everyone, so be patient and try some different methods out and see what works for you.
  • lilgemforgets
    Options
    Totally agree with above, it all depends on what works for you. If i am hungry i tend to eat back 1/2 but never all. I think as long as you eat a minimum of 1200 a day anyway then you will be fine!
  • ravenlaramie
    ravenlaramie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    The thing about something like that is that what works for one person won't necessarily work for another. Me personally- I eat about half of mine back (or try to)... that way I still have enough energy to function after exercise lol. It's really what works for you that matters though.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    I agree with the posters above saying to eat them. Also keep in mind that MFP's exercise calories as well as the calories from cardio machines are often overestimated. For that reason some people only eat back half of what MFP says they burned.
  • jessjetson85
    Options
    Maybe I'm not eating enough I only need to lose about 5 kg I'm 68 kg now and got down to 63 using it last time eating the 1200? Last sat I ran 10 k so burnt just over 600 calories but I still only ate the 1200? My friend is saying I should of eaten the 600! I don't see the point in eating what I've burnt? Thanks everyone I'll have to keep trying different things till I get it right!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I don't unless I am hungry, but then again my calories are 1500. My dietitian told me to do this. He also told me to eat more as I get closer to goal, as he says it gets dangerous to do it this way near goal. Just the advice I've been given. I cannot fault the fact that their advice had worked for me... that and changing my macros around x