Snacking

Okay I have a big problem of snacking when I am bored. Does anyone have same problem, and if so how do you deal with it? Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Everyone has this problem. That can be a lot of the reason we're here. : ) I'm sure you've heard all the how not to's. put those things into practice. They're the same things they tell people quitting smoking. recognize it, own it, and make changes. .
  • georgie_lou
    georgie_lou Posts: 225 Member
    MEEEEE!! I buy rice crackers and chips etc and put them in individual baggies (1 serve per bag) then if I feel like snacking or want something salty I reach into my snack box. That way you dont find yourself eating a bag of chips in 3 seconds lol.
  • sabinavaughan
    sabinavaughan Posts: 109 Member
    You have to replace that boredom with something else. Even if its something as mild as playing with an elastic band. Replace the habit! I find drinking water and carrying it with me all the time helps!
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Realise that it's boredom and you are not hungry and don't eat! easier said than done, but read a book, do some cleaning, go out for a walk anything that's a good distraction. Also remove snack foods from the house to minimise temptation. If you are genuinely hungry between meals - have a bit of fruit, much healthier and lower in calories than most snack foods.

I stopped snacking between meals a few months ago and really love it. It means I can have a whole heap of food at meals and actually only start to feel hungry before the next meal, never in between and retrains my body to recognise actual 'hunger' rather than eating for the hell of it.

Best of luck with your MFP journey! xxx
  • heddy90
    heddy90 Posts: 144 Member
    First of all I made sure there aren't any unhealthy snacks lying around for me to eat. When you know there are available snacks in the kitchen it can be really hard to resist temptation. But you can stack up on healthy snacks of course! I love sliced carrots in cold water for example. Cottage cheese with dried or fresh fruit bites, or raisins. Or cottage cheee with a sugarfree juice.

And when I find myself craving snacks because of boredom I just get up and do something. First thing I do is drink a glass of water! And then I go for a long walk, or something similar, start cleaning a bit, call a friend, draw, look up healthy recepies online +++

So yeah, quickly summed up: Only have healthy snacks in your house, and/or start doing something else everytime you're in that snack craving mood :)
  • TaylorsGranddad
    TaylorsGranddad Posts: 453 Member
    Most of the things I do people have already said, water is the best way as most of the time you're not even hungry every time I feel hungry I first try drinking water, not a fizzy drink. But if drinking something doesn't get rid of that feeling then I eat. If I really want to snack I do always will. Read my blog it might help you RE snacking.

Feel free to add me should you need any help
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    I use to mindlessly snack, now not so much if at all. I crochet and knit a lot, so I will pick up my needles instead of food, also drink some water we sometime mistake hunger for thirst then if you are still hungry go eat.
  • mamawjoyce
    mamawjoyce Posts: 64 Member
    I drink tons of water,& unsweet tea, but, just a cup of sugar free jello,pudding, 1or 2 cookies just to keep the craving down, work with your hands,get on line & explore crafting ideas-tons of um, chew gum(sugar free) glass of v-8 is a big help.If its salty u crave then u can make your own chips from flour tortias,put on cookie sheet & sprinkle some herbs etc. on it,spray a little spray type butter on it & bake for 15 mins. when cool break up & enjoy. Hope this helps a little.
  • I use to snack all the time and still find that it's very hard to resist the urge when you really want to snack. Many times i use celery, baby carrots and cucumbers to snack on as well as Terra Sweets & Beets for those times you just gotta have chips (they are made out of real beets and sweet potatoes and are so yummy). I try to pack snacks in baggies or one serving size so i can just grab it an go. I also suggest eating a high fiber snack such as fiber one bars. Also log it into your myfitnesspal BEFORE eating it (sometimes realizing the hit it takes on your cals is enough to make you think twice) Above all if you are CRAVING something (like chocolate) just have a little bit, not sure about anyone else but i find that a craving won't go away till i get some of what i'm craving and sadly no matter how many "healthy" snacks you try a lot of times you'll just eat till you get what you're craving. Another thing i do is try to stay away from food if i'm not hungry. I try to not take my lunch in the breakroom where there are 2 candy machines and sometimes free sweets and I also try to make sure I don't have dollar bills for the machines. Good luck!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Idle hands are the devil's playground.

If you're bored find something to occupy your mind and/or hands. Take up knitting, learn a new language, learn to play a musical instrument, read a book......there are a million things you can do that will keep you away from the fridge door; you can shrink your waistline and expand your horizons at the same time.