Wii ?

Options
Hi, I was wondering when tax time rolled around if I should get a wii? Please read my profile and then reply. I don't want to waste a couple hundred dollars if there is no excercises for the wii that I will be able to use and I don't know anyone that has one.
Thank You, Donna

Replies

• Romba
    Romba Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    A wii is worth it if you get Wii active. Wii fit, although fun, does not give you a work-out (and usually comes with the game.) but Wii Active is intense! I love it!!!!!!
  • Heather_b1986
    Heather_b1986 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    hi i bought a wii last year, its great to keep u motivated wen ur in the weight loss zone, it has lots of different types of excercises on it depending on ur fitness level, some things on it take a bit of practice but that adds to the fun, u dont get bored with it

405691.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • bgwolfgirl
    Options
    i just got the wii fit plus it is fun to do and i burn alot of calories doing it i have been getting on it everyday for the past 2 weeks
  • Kizster
    Kizster Posts: 13
    Options
    I really enjoy our Wii. I love Wii Fit! Many of the exercises won't leave you winded, such as the strength training, yoga, and balance games. Some of the aerobics will, but not all of them; the hula hooping and rhythmic stepping come to mind as ones that wouldn't.

Plus, for me at least, having the ability to stamp progress on a calendar and counting minutes for credits to unlock additional things is a motivator. And of course the ability to compete with my family!
  • krazeboutu
    Options
    I just got the Biggest Loser Wii game for Christmas and I really like it. It sets up a routine for you and you can pick the days you want to do your workout. You can set up a plan for 4, 8, or 12 weeks to help you get to your weight goal. You can also keep track of your calories on it but I enter everything on here and just enter the total calories for the day on the game. It appears to focus on strength training not cardio so it depends what you're looking for. The Wii is a lot of fun in every aspect. It has some very fun and entertaining games that you can play with a group of people. It's definitely a great buy.

Hopes this helps.

Tiara
  • kizzygirl
    Options
    I would get one, I just got one and by using it in the morning it keeps me focused the rest of the day...and it's a lot of fun, there are things for everyone on there.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Based on what I see in your profile, Wii fit would work really well for you. It is not intense but works on balance and control of your body. It does this in fun ways and as you do the exercises you unlock the ability to do more reps. It has some short burst cardio workouts like hoola-hoop and step aerobics that last up to 3 minutes at a time and have good feedback as to how you are improving.

Wii Active is for a more intense cardio workout. It is more someone that has at least an intermediate level of fitness behind them. (My opinion).

If you want to get a Wii but don't want to have to get the additional package of the Wii balance board, you can try something like "My Fitness Coach". It is a customizeable fitness program that tailors itself based on the results of a fitness evaluation you go through in the beginning and after every 10 workouts. Again this can be kind of high intensity since it starts the evaluation with 2 minutes of jumping jacks, how many situps you can do, pushups and squats.

If you don't want to purchase a wii there are plenty of other video's out there. I like the DVD's of 10 minute fitness. They are short 10 minute programs that you can group together or done individually. I would recomend getting a balance ball (also called stability ball or fitness ball). Use it like a chair and start working on some gradual core workouts.

Good Luck with your goals.
  • lildebbie
    lildebbie Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    We have a wii fit for a few years, i have the wii fit orgina, wii fit pluse (which is everhyting in the original pluse more) and biggest looser. I haven't done the biggest looser in a while, but probably will again soon, the biggest thing i don't like about it, it calculates the cals burnred way too low (or i think), i am getting a hrm and hopefully i will do it more once i know my real cals burned.

The wii fit plus is good, i just got it last week, the cals burned seem a little more actual. It depends on how in shape you are, cuase hte hula hoop gets me windded. They have a running and bycingling too that I get pretty tired in.
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    I just got one for Christmas and would recommend it, especially the Wii Active one. I got mine thru Walmart.com and got it as a bundle so it came with the console, a nunchuk and a remote + the leg band and the Wii sports game. I also got to choose 2 extra games.

Wii Active is great!! You can choose from a bunch of pre-figured routines and it tells you how many calories you burned and other things. I like that you can also customize your own work out....I found that I LOVE the boxing targets and heavy bag so I made one just of this and I totally get into it!!

Definately 2 thumbs up!!

Good luck on your journey!!
  • moujie
    moujie Posts: 229
    Options
    I looked at your profile and I think a wii could be a good option for you. there are games on the wii which are physical but that won't overly exert you. I just got mine so I'm no expert but if you're trying to do light exercise due to the emphysema you might really like it. it comes with simple games like bowling, golf, tennis...these things aren't really for working out but they do get you up and moving in a fun way so I think it'd be a great choice for you. I really love mine. I'm getting the wii fit plus soon and from what my friends tell me there are tons of activities on that which won't necessarily get you winded.
  • flrelady
    flrelady Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Most defiantly get a Wii, its loads of fun and gets you off the couch. I got the Wii Your Shape with Jenny McGarthy for Christmas and haved used it a couple of times all ready, it's really more personalized to your workout.
  • donna56
    donna56 Posts: 412
    Options
    I didn't take any quotes because I want to say thank you to everyone. So it appears I will be getting a wii at tax time :laugh:
  • bambi5014
    Options
    I highly recommend getting one! Wii is a such a fun way to exercise. Wii fit has yoga, strength training and games. EA Active can give you a great workout that really gets you sweating. The balance board is used as a scale that measures your weight and BMI. There are many other fun games too such as cooking, sports, dance, karaoke. I think anything that gets people off of the couch and up and moving is a good thing!
  • Carleybby
    Carleybby Posts: 158
    Options
    I can't wait to get the wii.

Even wii sports looks fun with the bycling, and boxing.

When I do get the wii, I want to get the biggest loser and well all the fitness games.

The wii is fun, specially with someone else playing, or even setting records for you to beat.
  • katiejo91
    Options
    I got a Wii for Christmas and have been using it every day since. We have Wii Fit Plus, which has a variety of fitness inspired games plus yoga and strength training. I set my goal on Christmas to lose 5lbs and have gone down 2 already. I think if you are looking for a simple, easy to use workout system, Wii can be a good solution. Like some of the other replies, I agree that Wii is good a keeping the workouts new and exciting, and it is very motivating. Hope your decision brings you happiness!
  • jcederstrand
    Options
    I got a Wii for Christmas and love it. I purchased the biggest loser game which has lots of workouts. I would definitely suggest getting one.
  • donna56
    donna56 Posts: 412
    Options
    Once again everyone for your replies. I am going to check out walmarts website now to get a general idea of what to expect.
  • Chenoachem
    Options
    Once again everyone for your replies. I am going to check out walmarts website now to get a general idea of what to expect.

Amazon.com tends to have it a little cheaper, if you are in a tax state you don't have to pay tax and orders over $25 you don't have to pay shipping. It might help.
  • Chenoachem
    Options
    Oops double post.
  • Carleybby
    Carleybby Posts: 158
    Options
    It's still Chrismas time, it'll be hard to get a wii.

I've been checking every couple days, unless you're there right when it opens, try a game store.