Fitness Levels

It can be discouraging to finally step on that treadmill only to be exhausted after running at a low speed for 20 minutes. On and off I have been a member of my current gym for over a year, I take the classes and use the weights and other equipment as often as I can. Though not often enough.

I've decided to make a real go at this weight loss and bringing up my personal fitness level. I would be able to run faster than a jog for at least an hour as a personal goal but this seems so far away - my legs ache I'm out of breath and it doesn't seem to get any easier.

What is the best way to bring your fitness level up. I know just sticking at it and powering through - I do try and push myself but I had expected it to get easier by now and it hasn't I can still only manage the 20 minutes and a slow pace. There has to be some trade secrets maybe different sorts of exercise - I've found kettle weights very rewarding we sometimes use them in our classes.

Replies

• DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    God I know how you feel! I have never worked out and never run further than up my hall to answer the phone, I started the c25k today, I googled it and it's a really good way to get going though my legs are KILLING me and it's only day one
  • If you want to get faster you actually have to incorporate speedwork and tempo work into your running. Speedwork is when you do shorter bursts of faster speeds mixed with recovery time, tempo work is where you do a warm up, go at a faster pace for a certain distance, then cool down. Each time you do these you go a little faster or a little longer. It won't be easy to get faster if you just plug away at it going the same speed...you are not challenging your system in the right way.

Hope that helps.
  • settoloki
    settoloki Posts: 30 Member
    When doing this would you do one day of speedwork and the next day tempo or week on week off sort of thing?

It sounds slightly better than my idea of using roller-skates on the treadmill.
  • DonttrythatwithME
    DonttrythatwithME Posts: 214 Member
    two words, endurance sprints
  • Rosebudevol
    Rosebudevol Posts: 45 Member
    I totally had a long reply here and my computer crashed. But I did similar things. do short bursts and just work up to it. I have gone from barely being able to do a mile in 20 minutes to being able to do un in just over 11 minutes and I keep pushing. my goal is a 10 minutes mile then to gradually be able to go for longer.
  • Hahaha....you would do something like this per week:

Week 1: Easy Run, Rest, Tempo Run, Rest, Easy Run, Rest, Long Run
    Week 2: Rest, Easy Run, Rest, Speedwork Run, Rest, Rest, Easy Run

I get my programs from runnersworld.com, the couch to 5k program is a good idea if you haven't run before...otherwise runnersworld has a smartcoach program that you can put information into and it spits out a program.

Using these I decreased my 10k time by over 5 min in one year.
  • TaylorsGranddad
    TaylorsGranddad Posts: 453 Member
    As people have already said busrts of sprinting will help, thats what I now do.
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    What is the best way to bring your fitness level up.

Frequency & consistency

You should make your goal to exercise frequently, and maintain that each and every week. It does not have to be for long each time, 20-30 mins is fine, but really that's the key.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Here's a link to the various versions of C25 K. You may not need to statr right at the beginning, jump in at a week that suits you:
    http://www.c25k.com/

Here are my beginner's running tips, some of them might help. Bear in mind point one:
    When you start out, it’s HARD! Even if you think you’re fit, running is so different to anything else you’ve done before you will get out of breath quickly. Stick with it. Can’t manage a minute? Go slow. Still can’t? GO SLOWER!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

For beginners, speed comes naturally over time. Once you can run for 30 minutes, then, and only then, introduce other sessions. For me an average week has a long run on Sundays, intervals on Tuesdays and a tempo run (target race speed) on Thursday. I cross-train on at least two other days.

Edit: PS run outside, not on the treadmill. You'll find time passes much faster, you won't feel as tired and you'll find your own pace more easily. If your eventual aim is to run outside anyhow, the treadmill will not train you to do so.
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    do something you enjoy! you have to like it. running on a treadmill gets boring, you aren't a hamster!

I used to struggle with running... because I would run on a treadmill. I can jog an hour nonstop (still got LOTS of improvements to make) but I would never be able to spend an hour on a treadmill.

but you may not get as bored easily as me. do interval running. slow, fast, slow, fast etc. I'm sure you can find a program on the internet.
  • bacamacho
    bacamacho Posts: 306 Member
    Everyone started there at some point! The only thing that makes running more comfortable to do at volume is more running. After not running for a while, I too struggle with my fitness and 20 minutes of ANY activity, lol! I start at basics again. 2-3 miles 4-6 days a week, and increase as those runs get easier. Then, when getting out and busting a 5-6miler without blinking an eye gets easier, and that takes months for me honestly even though I'm long time runner, then I sign up for a race and focus on speed. Intervals, tempo runs, and hills. Believe me. I've started at ground zero many times in my life. After each child I've had, it took me a good 6-12 months before running would feel good again.

Don't get too far ahead of yourself and get overwhelmed. Plan your week's runs and then concentrate on a run at a time. When you're running, focus on that run. How are you breathing, how's your form, at what minute does the discomfort go away? By the time you've thought of all that, it's over. Find a program. Someone mentioned C25K. Give it a go!

Good luck and have fun. :smile:
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,605 Member
    There's lots of things you can do that don't involve running at all. But if you want to run (and I do recommend it - best thing I do!) try taking it outside. Running on a treadmill is dispiriting. Running outside makes you feel like a superhero, even if your speeds are low.

Don't push too hard on sprinting till you've built up to a decent distance.
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    You mentioned Kettle Bells as being rewarding. Start there. Find yourself a Kettle bell workout group and go for it. The more fun or rewarding your workout is the more likely you will actually make it part of your life. I find that running on a treadmill or doing anything aerobic on a machine can be extremely boring. Try moving your aerobic workouts outside when you can and only use a machine when you have to. I ride my bike for aerobic fitness and have to work very hard going up hills. I can see the top of the hill and I push until I get there. On my trainer - I don't think so!
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    The thing, I know with me, is just to keep running. Run as long as you can, then walk. Then every day or every few days, extend the time you try to run.

It does get easier, you just have to keep at it.
  • settoloki
    Thanks for the advice guys, I would love to run outside but I live in Blackpool, UK - we don't have the best weather or outdoor areas here, I'm also a little on the chunky side and nobody wants to see the belly flapping around on an out of breath fat guy whilst they are looking to enjoy their chosen outdoor activity. think pink jelly!

Going to aim to get out to the park at least once a week and run around that. But I like the gym as I like to get my moneys worth and they have a pool, sauna etc. which I enjoy using after a workout.

I didn't realise running was so involved, will check out the various sites I like places that offer an app for my phone - everything is better with an app!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    sounds like a great goal to have! but as the below post shows, this is going to be a long slooooooooooooow process.. make sure you are realistic in your goals, and maybe break down the overal goal into mini monthly goals to avoid disappointment?
    Using these I decreased my 10k time by over 5 min in one year.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,605 Member
    Thanks for the advice guys, I would love to run outside but I live in Blackpool, UK - we don't have the best weather or outdoor areas here, I'm also a little on the chunky side and nobody wants to see the belly flapping around on an out of breath fat guy whilst they are looking to enjoy their chosen outdoor activity. think pink jelly!

Going to aim to get out to the park at least once a week and run around that. But I like the gym as I like to get my moneys worth and they have a pool, sauna etc. which I enjoy using after a workout.

I didn't realise running was so involved, will check out the various sites I like places that offer an app for my phone - everything is better with an app!

I run outdoors in the UK (as does Berry up there.... and crux... well, he does all sorts of stuff outdoors in the UK weather! :-) ). I also started running when I was about 50lbs heavier than I am now - and I'm still what would be most kindly described as a 'big girl'.

Get out there. It's much much nicer.
  • bacamacho
    bacamacho Posts: 306 Member

I personally LOVE seeing someone I know is just starting out with the walking/running. Just LOVE it. It says you care about yourself. Every time you get out and get your sweat on, you'll whittle away at extra cuddle fluff. Just dress comfortably in clothes that won't climb or cling and get out there! :smile:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Seconded Meerkat, I ran in thunderstorms on Saturday and had one of my best runs in weeks! It's even better if you're on the chubbier side like me as it keeps you cool. Check out the results here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/693469-what-happens-when-you-run-in-the-rain

I have a gym membership and use it for weights, classes and swimming, but mainly do my running outside. Cross training at the gym will only improve your running!

A beginner's friendly running club might motivate you. There are literally dozens in Blackpool, or you could look up a local ParkRun. as for not having the best outdoors areas... hello, sea front! Lovely and flat plus a great view.
  • settoloki
    am sold, am actually hoping for some rain when I run now.

I have gym classes on Tuesday and Thursday and I take a friend to the gym on a Monday - I would never in a million years convince her to run outside. So looks like Wednesday and Sundays are out door running days.