Support or Sabotage

Who are your biggest supporters in your weight loss efforts? Does anyone try to sabotage your efforts? If so, how do you handle that?

Replies

• bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    My biggest supporter is my boyfriend, who is getting into the health thing, too. I don't really have any saboteurs, but sometimes I will get dumb comments from relatives. The best thing to do is shrug them off.

I imagine the situation is very different for people who don't have total autonomy over their meals.
  • Janet9906
    Janet9906 Posts: 546 Member
    My biggest supporters are my friends on here :-) They cheer me on every single day and kick my *kitten* when needed.
  • Bearface115
    Bearface115 Posts: 574 Member
    everyone is my support, its me that sabotages myself...
  • Angelabec
    Angelabec Posts: 505 Member
    everyone is my support, its me that sabotages myself...

Yep, this is totally me as well!
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    My biggest supporter is my wife who is very cool with the number of hours I spend these days exercising and also on board with trying to improve on health eating for the whole family.

Don't really feel like I have anyone trying to sabotage me.
  • thecrass
    thecrass Posts: 79 Member
    Some of the people i work with try to Sabotage my efforts, but the ones that try arent exactly the peak of healthy living so i just laugh it of and make sure i try harder.

My friends on MFP and my other half give me support, just have to stay focused if you have came so far dont sabotage yourself :-)
  • My boyfriend has been really supportive this time around - he is even buying my yucky "diet" products for me if at the grocery store (skim milk, cottage cheese) :)
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    So far only people who want to sabotage!
    Husband who likes to comment on how big I've got (in the last 25 years and 4 babies!) then sits and eat a bag of chocolate raisins and toasted muffins while we watch a TV show. He is a lot larger than when we met and has a middle age paunch, but I don't say anything because it is rude. Although I did buy him some bathroom scales which shocked him!
  • suztheq
    suztheq Posts: 171
    I have several supporters -my boyfriend being the biggest one. I don't really have saboteurs, per say. But there of plenty of people who don't understand why I still track calories or exercise. They tell me I'm thin enough and that I don't need to count calories. Or that I don't need to exercise since I count calories. I've had a couple of relatives even hint that I'm anorexic -which I will admit I had problems with earlier in life. Anorexic girls don't eat 1,700 calories a day, lift heavy or ride 100+ miles in one day on a bike. I do all of these :)

If someone really gives me a hard time, I just shrug and say I'll live my life and you live yours. If you are in a situation where you can't control what you eat -say a reunion, make the best choices you can food wise and move on.
  • ahmommy
    ahmommy Posts: 316 Member
    My husband is my biggest supporter. His methods aren't always the ones I would choose, but I know that he means well and it works, so I guess I shouldn't complain.

I don't really have any saboteurs, but mostly because I'm not outspoken about my efforts. I'm not overweight, my objective is to reduce body fat % and get healthy. So I'm thinner than a lot of our family members and I think they would minimize the importance of what I'm doing. I'm sure they would mean well, because they think I'm fine the way I am, and I also think it would be hard for them to accept that I need to make a change because that would mean they need to make a change too.