Preparing for IVF

Options
Hi everyone,

I've just started doing this properly since Saturday morning and so far, so good! My husband and I are looking to start IVF soon so we're trying to get fit and healthy and I'm trying to lose a few lbs, slowly and steadily to give it the best chance of working. My BMI is just over 25.

Is anyone else doing IVF or done it successfully?

Would be nice to have a buddy in a similar situation :) xxx

Replies

• mikeandkate
    mikeandkate Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hey!

I had my first son through IVF, he is now four. I had endometrosis and have PCOS. We managed to concieve naturally second time although I lost the baby at 20 weeks. And for our third son, I lost 7 Kg on Weight Watchers and took Metformin. The weight loss definately helped me concieve. I was not overweight but just the same as you, just needed to get the BMI down a little bit.

It will help you so much being fit and healthy for your cycle. How exciting!

Kate
  • Tors1984
    Tors1984 Posts: 25
    Options
    Thank you for your message! Do you have any tips with the IVF?

It's been a bit of a rollercoaster so far and we're still going for tests, so although it's highly likely we will need it, we're still waiting for confirmation. I'm petrified of needles, but I'll do anything, we just want our little baby. I'm more scared of it not working than anything! So I'm trying to be fit, healthy, relaxed and trying the power of positive thinking!!!

Sorry to hear you lost one, I can't imagine how awful that must be :(. I'm glad you have two little ones now though :) xxx
  • seanorawe
    seanorawe Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I dont know much about it, but I applaud you for going for it. I have a 2 year old and a 12 week old son. They change your life in the best way ever.
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Not IVF, but IUI -- single parent by choice here. I, too, HATE needles, but the ones I had were hair-thin and short. I had to do the first one in front of the nurse to show I could, and we stood there for about 15 minutes while I worked up the nerve (lots of false starts), but it really didn't hurt. Just keep thinking about that baby that's waiting for you. :)
    I'm not IVF, but am familiar with it through family (2 IVF babies in mine, and I was there during the struggle to get them). Feel free to add me!
  • donnam40
    donnam40 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I had my first daughter through IVF almost 18 years ago now and a second naturally almost 16 years ago. Endometriosis was my problem.

Things have changed a lot since I went through it, but it was a real emotional rollercoaster. Just be strong and be there for one another.

All the best,

Donna
  • xxcandywrathxx
    xxcandywrathxx Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Good luck with ivf!

Have you tried IUI? (inter-uterine insemination) I suspect that would be much cheaper than ivf and is quite effective.
    the only thing that worries me about IVF is that there's an increased chance of having twins or triplets! Would be wonderful but soo much work! >.<

Really hope things go well.
  • Tors1984
    Options
    I dont know much about it, but I applaud you for going for it. I have a 2 year old and a 12 week old son. They change your life in the best way ever.

Thank you, I just so hope it works!
  • Tors1984
    Options
    Not IVF, but IUI -- single parent by choice here. I, too, HATE needles, but the ones I had were hair-thin and short. I had to do the first one in front of the nurse to show I could, and we stood there for about 15 minutes while I worked up the nerve (lots of false starts), but it really didn't hurt. Just keep thinking about that baby that's waiting for you. :)
    I'm not IVF, but am familiar with it through family (2 IVF babies in mine, and I was there during the struggle to get them). Feel free to add me!

Yeah I think and hope the needles aren't as scary/big/worrying as I imagine!! Thank you for your message, I will add you! xxx
  • Tors1984
    Options
    I had my first daughter through IVF almost 18 years ago now and a second naturally almost 16 years ago. Endometriosis was my problem.

Things have changed a lot since I went through it, but it was a real emotional rollercoaster. Just be strong and be there for one another.

All the best,

Donna

Thank you! That's reassuring to hear - the worst part is actually the fear of it not working! Thank you again xx
  • Tors1984
    Options
    Good luck with ivf!

Have you tried IUI? (inter-uterine insemination) I suspect that would be much cheaper than ivf and is quite effective.
    the only thing that worries me about IVF is that there's an increased chance of having twins or triplets! Would be wonderful but soo much work! >.<

Really hope things go well.

Thank you for your message! Unfortunately IUI isn't an option to us, IVF is the only thing which will help us. Fortunately we get some tries on the NHS. We're actually hoping for twins lol! Triplets would be amazing too! Scary and a lot of work, but so amazing :).

Thank you again xx
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    My husband and I went through all the fertility testing and the last thing they did was HSG dye test. Told me I had defects of the cervix and uterus and would need surgery and wouldn't get pregnant without IVF. 3 weeks later I was pregnant, no intervention necessary! Come to find out this is pretty common. So if you haven't had the HSG test, get it. I made it to almost 13 weeks before I miscarried though. At least we know our bioligy works, all we can do is try again. IVF and IUI is a big big big money maker. I am glad we were able to get pregnant naturally, and won't be back to the clinic. I go back to the doc tomorrow and should get the all clear after the MC. Time to try again!
  • krystymc
    krystymc Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My husband and I went through all the fertility testing and the last thing they did was HSG dye test. Told me I had defects of the cervix and uterus and would need surgery and wouldn't get pregnant without IVF. 3 weeks later I was pregnant, no intervention necessary! Come to find out this is pretty common....I go back to the doc tomorrow and should get the all clear after the MC. Time to try again!

wow, amazing information! i had to research the term; the dye can actually open up blocked tubes sometimes! who would have known that??

also, you have a heart of gold and such courage. go for it!

OP, you're getting some great advice here! i just know things are going to work out for you since you're starting everything out just right with healthy choices! well done!
  • TraMga
    TraMga Posts: 4
    Options
    A girl I used to work with did the IVF. She now has twins a boy and a girl! It is expensive but hey a child doesnt have a price tag. worry about that later!! good luck i know it can be tough but like others said stay strong and be there for each other it is a amazing gift!
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    My husband and I went through all the fertility testing and the last thing they did was HSG dye test. Told me I had defects of the cervix and uterus and would need surgery and wouldn't get pregnant without IVF. 3 weeks later I was pregnant, no intervention necessary! Come to find out this is pretty common....I go back to the doc tomorrow and should get the all clear after the MC. Time to try again!

wow, amazing information! i had to research the term; the dye can actually open up blocked tubes sometimes! who would have known that??

OP, you're getting some great advice here! i just know things are going to work out for you since you're starting everything out just right with healthy choices! well done!

If you're gonna quote me, don't edit what I said.
  • Tors1984
    Options

Thank you :) I hope so! xx
  • Tors1984
    Options
    My husband and I went through all the fertility testing and the last thing they did was HSG dye test. Told me I had defects of the cervix and uterus and would need surgery and wouldn't get pregnant without IVF. 3 weeks later I was pregnant, no intervention necessary! Come to find out this is pretty common. So if you haven't had the HSG test, get it. I made it to almost 13 weeks before I miscarried though. At least we know our bioligy works, all we can do is try again. IVF and IUI is a big big big money maker. I am glad we were able to get pregnant naturally, and won't be back to the clinic. I go back to the doc tomorrow and should get the all clear after the MC. Time to try again!

Thank you for sharing your story! Fortunately for us, we get some tries of IVF on the NHS here. We have been told it would be a miracle for us to conceive naturally. I know some people do ge told that and they do get pregnant. We will see what happens.

I'm sorry to hear of your loss, but I'm glad you're staying positive and I wish you the best of luck! xx
  • Tors1984
    Options
    A girl I used to work with did the IVF. She now has twins a boy and a girl! It is expensive but hey a child doesnt have a price tag. worry about that later!! good luck i know it can be tough but like others said stay strong and be there for each other it is a amazing gift!

Thank you! I really hope we are lucky and it works for us! Luckily we get some tries on the NHS here. Obviously I'll keep you all posted! xx
  • hannaheartsmiles
    hannaheartsmiles Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had my only child via IVF 18 years ago. She was one of the first 500 babies conceived this way. Best of luck to you. It is a roller-coaster. But so happy I chanced it. Back in 1993 it was experimental and not covered by health insurance. I'm sure things have changed dramatically.
  • Tors1984
    Options
    I had my only child via IVF 18 years ago. She was one of the first 500 babies conceived this way. Best of luck to you. It is a roller-coaster. But so happy I chanced it. Back in 1993 it was experimental and not covered by health insurance. I'm sure things have changed dramatically.

Wow, that's amazing! We have to give it a chance and see if it works! Really really hoping it does. We can have 3 tries on the NHS which is good! xx
  • KristiBell1
    KristiBell1 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hi Tors1984!

I have had 4 failed iui's and will be doing ivf hopefully in the spring. I am terrified of needles, crying in the doctors office when I need to give blood or get shots, but you would be amazed at what you can do when your dreams are on the line. So far with the iui's I have given myself 8 shots. I was so nervous but with the help of my online support group I was able to do it. Wishing you lots of luck!