Diet trouble.... See a dietitian maybe?

Options
So my main issue with weight loss is dieting I have come to realize. I 120% need help with putting something together, in terms of a food/meal plan that I actually like. I was considering seeing a dietitian if I couldn't find help in some other way? Through joining this site and logging my food intake I have discovered that I eat way to much rubbish food and over doubled my cal, carb and fat numbers. I have improved now and feel good about it but I still don't feel like I am eating right. I am quite a fussy eater and would love some healthy food/meal suggestions that you have all loved? I do like most veggies and fruit but I need something that will fill me up and not make me want to rip my taste buds out. xoxo

Replies

• AbiCusPeck
    AbiCusPeck Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Ahhhhh this is exactly like me - let's hope people post their thoughts :)
    Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • ladyhaelstorm
    Options
    Firstly, congratulations on cutting down on your calories now that you are aware of how much you eat, I love the food log on here! Secondly, have you ever tried Veggie patties? My favorite meal is:

Orowheat whole wheat sandwich thin, veggie patty, 1oz Tillamook cheese slice with an apple. Total calories: 440.

I buy the Morning Star veggie patties from Costco (as well as the Tillamook unsliced cheese) and I cut and weigh out an ounce of cheese. I find this meal takes me a while to finish and that time helps me feel full. I am also a picky eater, I like everything plain, but you could add lettuce, tomato, whatever to the sandwich (but keep an eye on calories if you use condiments like ketchup or mayo). If you have never tried vegetarian foods (i.e. Morning Star or Gardein products) don't be scared to! They taste great, have fewer calories, and a lot of protein.

I also find smoothies very filling, and they are easy to make at home, just be sure to measure everything or you may end up underestimating the calories. Water is great too for feeling full, try drinking more of it before, during and after your meals. Good luck with your goals!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I go to a nutritionist in addition to using MFP. She helps me with my food plan and keeping my on track nutrition wise. I recommend doing that in addition to making friends on MFP and keeping your food journal.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I wonder if there is a meal planning app or something on-line?
  • AbiCusPeck
    Options
    Well I've booked in to see a nutritionist today - actually to VLCC - not sure if anyone's heard of it!
    I just want to see if what I'm doing is correct ;)
    Wish me luck!
  • AbiCusPeck
    Options

In the iTunes store there's an app called Meal Planner, not sure if its good or not :)
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

In the iTunes store there's an app called Meal Planner, not sure if its good or not :)
    thanks
  • sarahevelynjames
    Options
    Well I've booked in to see a nutritionist today - actually to VLCC - not sure if anyone's heard of it!
    I just want to see if what I'm doing is correct ;)
    Wish me luck!

Goodluck! You must tell us all how you go. :)
  • sarahevelynjames
    Options
    Firstly, congratulations on cutting down on your calories now that you are aware of how much you eat, I love the food log on here! Secondly, have you ever tried Veggie patties? My favorite meal is:

Orowheat whole wheat sandwich thin, veggie patty, 1oz Tillamook cheese slice with an apple. Total calories: 440.

I buy the Morning Star veggie patties from Costco (as well as the Tillamook unsliced cheese) and I cut and weigh out an ounce of cheese. I find this meal takes me a while to finish and that time helps me feel full. I am also a picky eater, I like everything plain, but you could add lettuce, tomato, whatever to the sandwich (but keep an eye on calories if you use condiments like ketchup or mayo). If you have never tried vegetarian foods (i.e. Morning Star or Gardein products) don't be scared to! They taste great, have fewer calories, and a lot of protein.

I also find smoothies very filling, and they are easy to make at home, just be sure to measure everything or you may end up underestimating the calories. Water is great too for feeling full, try drinking more of it before, during and after your meals. Good luck with your goals!

Thanks so much! You post has been incredibly helpful! Ill be sure to try some smoothies, vegetarian meals and drinking more water. :)
  • casbar911
    casbar911 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have gone to both. A nutritionist and a dietician. The nutrionist was good with the food aspect of it. However I am VERY happy that I went to a Dietician because she was able to help me determine that I needed to see an endocronolgist as she suspected a Thyroid issue as my metobolism is in the garbage.... even with exercise, weight lifting and eating well (have been tracking my food for years) - and low and behold I have hashimoto's... not that this is true for everyone but a Dietician was a better choice for me.
    I think either one would be a good option to start with if you are having issues with creating meal plans. They should be able to help go through through the foods you enjoy (make healthy substitutions) and help you get the correct macros...
    good luck !!
  • Healthy_Melva
    Healthy_Melva Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I've found eating an apple or even 1/2 of one at lunch time keeps me full until dinner. For some reason, eating it with my meal is more filling that having it as an afternoon snack.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    You know you can eat anything in a deficit and lose weight.

Have a look at my diary yesterday.

Fitbit 2900
    I ate 2600 cals.
    Last nights weight was 137.
    Todays was 133.

You just have to understand how food works with your body.

Get your BMR and TDEE and work with it till you lose.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • Rosebudevol
    Rosebudevol Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    there are several site out there that let you plug in what you like and it comes up with a meal plan. start with foodnetwork.com. I often go there to find meal ideas. or if that fails, just do random searches. I have found several health and yummy meal plans for under 400 calories per meal.
  • predent
    predent Posts: 95
    Options
    I personally am on the "super broke college student" plan for everything. For me, that rules out anything like a dietitian, so I take to the internet. allrecipes.com has a pretty nice meal planner. I just search for low calorie dinners, find some I like, and then you can build meals for the week. It'll also generate shopping lists for you, which are super helpful.

In terms of staying under your carbs and fat, I would just increase your protein. Everything else should fall into place when I did that. I used to just have a mountain of pasta for dinner (tons of carbs, but under on my cals), and then changed it to something like a small bowl of pasta and a piece of lean chicken breast. Calories stayed in place, carbs and fats when down, and protein went up.

However, if you can afford a dietitian, I don't see why not :) Sometimes I feel like it would be nice to have somebody just telling me what to eat so I wouldn't have to do the research.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You know you can eat anything in a deficit and lose weight.

Have a look at my diary yesterday.

Fitbit 2900
    I ate 2600 cals.
    Last nights weight was 137.
    Todays was 133.

You just have to understand how food works with your body.

Get your BMR and TDEE and work with it till you lose.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

You didn't lose 4 lbs of fat overnight though. That would be impossible unless you had liposuction or an amputation. It's just water.
  • ladyhaelstorm
    Options
    Great :) Glad I could help!