Is 30 min even worth it?

Options
fcp1234
fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
I just started working out again after around 2 years. My time is very limited and I can only find 30 min in the morning. Is that even worth it? Will I even see any results by just doing 30 min??
I am looking to tone and lose around 10 lbs. I am not really worried about losing 10 lbs, I can do that just by eating right, but I want to tone up.

Replies

• MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    yes it's worth it. Obviously the intensity of your workout will determine how much you get out of it.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Totally worth it, but choose something that's pretty intense. The Jillian Michaels 30 day shred is just over 20 minutes long.
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    Totally worth it! Any time spent working out is better than NONE at all.
  • organichome
    Options
    It's very worth iT! Just have to make it count and kick up the intensity. Agree the 30 day shred is great and fast! :)
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Yes it's worth it! You can get a lot done in 30 minutes, if you push yourself. Just do it every day. Good luck!
  • ShaunaLouiseGetsFit
    Options
    the more you put into your workout, the more you sweat, the more you burn calories.

they say 30 minute workouts everyday are just as affective as doing 1 hour workouts every second day. now, i could be wrong and the magazine that said it, could be talking out of their bum's but i can't see how the results wouldn't be just as good.

just push yourself each time and whenever you do have time to workout, go for walks/run or try add another 30 minutes.
  • uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372
    Options
    Totally worth it! Intensity is what matters.
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    YES worth it! Even walking briskly I can burn 130 calories in 30 minutes; running about 240 or zumba around 190. Take advantage of 30 minutes and work hard! My experience with 30 Day Shred is it's actually 27 minutes from start to finish and a great workout!
  • wingednotes
    Options
    worth it, and recommended by experts. 30 mins a day to keep fit and healthy :)
  • KAR1959
    KAR1959 Posts: 4,236 Member
    Options
    Yes it will be worth. I'm doing Jillian Michaels Body Revolution. Each workout is 30 minutes, 6 days a week. On days I have extra time I will walk for 20-30 minutes. The main thing is whatever you do increase the intensity. Good luck.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I dropped my first 10 lbs in just 10 minutes a day doing Tony Horton's 10-Minute Trainer. Now I'm usually working out up to an hour.
  • MessyLittlePanda
    MessyLittlePanda Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Little and often is better than a huge session once a week. We have express classes at my gym that they do at lunch times, they are 30 mins but you can still tell you've done some exercise!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    YES YES AND YESSS its worth it!! just add up 30 mins x 7...thats 3 1/2 hrs in a week!! that would be a great achievement...and you'll find once you start you'll just want to exercise more..I promise :-D
  • ChappyEight
    ChappyEight Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Start the StrongLifts 5x5 program. Concise lifting and you will tone up better than doing 100% cardio.
  • Shyloh1
    Shyloh1 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Totally worth it!
    You could also do little things like,taking the stairs instead of the elevator or park further away from your place of work. I usually park at the far end of the parking lot at the hospital I work at. Remember,just keep moving..when possible!:smile:

Edit: Circuit training is good or you could just concentrate on a body part a day too...
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I am thinking about doing circuit training. I never did before, I used to have all the time in the world.
    Should I wait and start it after a couple weeks or should I just jump into it?
    Also if I do the 30 min circuit workout, how long should I warm up before it?
  • mellenorris
    mellenorris Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I usually only work out for 30-40 minutes, and burn about 310 calories in that time. It's all about intensity... and even if you start with walking, it's worth it! You can always amp it up as your body adjusts.
  • lisamlc
    lisamlc Posts: 61
    Options
    YES! I only have 30 minutes a day (I work FT and I have a 22 month old son) and I have lost 9lbs in two weeks by eating sensibly and working hard in those 30 minutes. So long as you make the 30 minutes count (by working hard, making yourself sweat) they will definitely pay off. I am also trying to build more exercise into my daily routine by always taking the stairs, walking more quickly etc, etc.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I only walk as 'exercise' 30 minutes and it helps tremendously.

But also try to include activity in your daily life - stairs, farther walking in parking lots. I put in a standing desk. Everything helps.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    30 minutes can be a hell of a lot when your workouts are done at high intensity. 30 minutes of a combination of jump rope and calisthenics (basic bodyweight exercises such as pushups and such) will burn nearly 400 calories if not more.