Minimum calorie intake

Options
Hi

I'm reading different average minimum calorie intakes for a 2lb a week weight loss target for a man.

The general view seems to be 1500 calories a day is the absolute minimum for a man.

When I enter my details into the MyFitnessPal app though, it sets me a target of 1200 calories a day, even though I've said I'm male!!

Anyone know why this is?

Steve

Replies

• uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372
    Options
    I'm new here, so I think this is right... but I noticed that number is your net calories. So, after you deduct your calories burned through exercise, you should be at 1200 calories. So if you burn 500 calories a day through exercise, you should be eating 1700 calories.

If you go back and look at your calorie goals it should say net calories and explain it.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't differentiate between male and female. It just uses 1200 as a minimum.

Minimum for a male is between 1500-1800. Losing 2 pounds a week isn't realistic for you based on that information (it isn't realistic for the vast majority of people.) Aim for 1 pound per week.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Male and female changes where fat is deposited because of hormones and genes.

It only matters for calories because of height and average muscle mass. How tall are you? My sisters are all over 6' and need more calories than most men.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Hi

I'm reading different average minimum calorie intakes for a 2lb a week weight loss target for a man.

The general view seems to be 1500 calories a day is the absolute minimum for a man.

When I enter my details into the MyFitnessPal app though, it sets me a target of 1200 calories a day, even though I've said I'm male!!

Anyone know why this is?

Steve

Steve,

If you are adventurous, customize your goals in MFP after determining your body fat percentage (http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/mbf/) and then calculating your BMR (http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/). Choose the calorie intake number according to your activity level.

To customize your goals in MFP:
    Click on Goals -> Change Goals -> select Custom -> plug in the number of calories Fat2Fit recommends you eat per day and modify your macro percentages (i.e. Carb, Protein, Fat) if you want -> click on Change Goals to confirm.

There is NO one-size-fits-all minimum daily calorie intake and macro combination. You will need to play with the numbers for a few weeks or months to see what best fits your body's needs and your fitness goals.

Hope this helps. :)
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Because of your height, weight, desired weight loss and activity level. If you up your activity level, it would be higher. If you kept it the same, but added some exercises, you'd have more calories, but your net would be the same.
  • DaveCollinsgsy
    DaveCollinsgsy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Eh Steve

i think it takes into concideration your age body frame and how much you want to loose as well. mine is the same. i have to go back to square 1 after my 2 weeks hoilday away. good luck

Dave