Healthy holiday food

Options
mollymay
mollymay Posts: 34
edited November 2023 in Recipes
I am starting this topic with the upcoming holidays in mind. I have no idea what to cook or how to change any traditional recipes, so I thought we could put our ideas together.

If you have any holiday recipes, sweet or not, please post them and share.

Replies

• mollymay
    Options
    I am starting this topic with the upcoming holidays in mind. I have no idea what to cook or how to change any traditional recipes, so I thought we could put our ideas together.

If you have any holiday recipes, sweet or not, please post them and share.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I am sure I will add one later but I did add my favorite to the board under cranberry salad. It is a little effort but so yummy and good whenever you like.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1229-cranberry-salad

Eve
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Eve23, sorry I did not see your post before I did mine. I am in the same vote. Check out my post on Thanksgiving and hopefully it will help you.
  • Eve23
    Options
    Oh no sorry necesary. I just thought you might like it and I didn't want to repost it. I think it is great that a post is up for the holiday. I will have to cook for our family as well. In fact we are having a early Thanksgiving tommorow. But the real one will be done at my house with just our family. One of the things we began several years back is just narrowing our meal to the essentials. Things we truly love and making only the things that are either requested by each member of the family or make the meal more special.

Eve
  • mollymay
    Options
    If it's not too much trouble I thought we could post under one topic.. that way we dont have to search around for the recipes.

The idea was to have them all in one topic.:wink:
  • Eve23
    Options
    I absolutely agree
    :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • mollymay
    Options
    Oh no sorry necesary. I just thought you might like it and I didn't want to repost it. I think it is great that a post is up for the holiday. I will have to cook for our family as well. In fact we are having a early Thanksgiving tommorow. But the real one will be done at my house with just our family. One of the things we began several years back is just narrowing our meal to the essentials. Things we truly love and making only the things that are either requested by each member of the family or make the meal more special.

Eve

What a wonderful idea to only cook requests! That would cut down on "grazing" at my house!!
  • Eve23
    Options
    What holiday would be complete without stuffing. I am sorry but I enjoy this one to much to give it up:bigsmile:

These are out of the Weight Watchers Cookbook

Giblet-Sage Dressing
    12 servings

15 oz turkey giblets
    1 tbsp black peppercorns
    1 bay leaf
    1/4 c reduced calorie tub margarine, melted
    2 c thinly sliced mushrooms
    1 c chopped leeks, white part only
    1/4 c low sodium chicken broth
    1 tsp ground sage
    12 slices 2 day old whole wheat bread, cut into cubes
    1 1/2 oz toasted pecans chopped
    1/4 tsp celery seeds
    1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Boil water, gook giblets, peppercorns and bay leaf, 20-30 minutes, until tender. Drain and discard peppercorns and bay leaf; let cool slightly. Finely chop giblets; set aside.

Heat 1 tbsp of margarine over medium high heat; add mushrooms and leeks. Cook stirring frequently 4-6 minutes, until tender. Stir in broth and sage. Reduce heat to low; simmer 2 minutes.

In large bowl, combine cooked giblets, mushroom mixture, bread cubes, the remaining 3 tbsp margarine , pecans, celery seeds and pepper. mix until combined.

Bake 45-50 minutes in a casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.

Each serving Exchanges
    1 fat
    1/2 vegetable
    1 Protein
    1 Bread

Calories 167
    Protein 10
    Fat 7
    Carbohydrate 16
    Sodium 220
    Cholesterol 100
    Dietary Fiber 2
  • Eve23
    Options
    Maple Stuffed Sweet Potato

8 sweet potatoes 4 oz size
    6 tbsp plain nonfat yogurt
    2 tbsp syrup
    2 tbsp orange juice
    1 tbsp dijon mustard
    1/4 tsp cinnamon
    1/8 tsp nutmeg

Heat oven to 375
    Bake potatoes for 50-60 minutes or until easily pierced with fork. Then remove from oven and cool.
    Slice potatoes in have lenghtwise. Scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/2 " thick shell. Place shells in 13x9 baking pan and transfer pulp to a food processor or blender.
    Add remaining ingredients to food processor; process until smoth. Spoon mixture evenly into shells. Return to oven and bake 5-10 minutes longer.

Each serving exchange
    1 bread
    15 optional calories
    Calories 136
    Protein 2
    Fat 0
    Carbohydrates 31
    Sodium 88
    Cholesterol 0

This sounds so tasty I had to share.
  • Eve23
    Options
    Spiced Cider

2 c apple cider
    2 c mineral water
    One 3 inch cinnamon stick
    Peel of 1 orange, removed in a long spiral, studded with 4 whole cloves

In medium saucepan, combine cider, mineral water, cinnamon stick and orange peel. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Serve hot or cold.

Calories 30
    Protein 0
    Fat 0
    Carbohydrate 7
    Sodium 2
    Choloesterol 0
  • nopogal
    nopogal Posts: 162
    Options
    Thyme-roasted sweet potatoes

4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch-thick rounds
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    4 large garlic cloves, minced
    1/3 cup fresh thyme leaves, plus 6 thyme sprigs for garnish
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Preheat oven to 450°F. In large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and toss. Arrange potato slices in single layer on heavyweight rimmed baking sheet or in 13x9-inch baking dish. Place on top rack of oven and roast until tender and slightly browned, about 40 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature, garnished with thyme sprigs.

Not sure the nutrition info,but it should be easy to figure out.
This discussion has been closed.