trouble reaching target hear rate

Options
I cannot seem to reach my target heart rate no matter how hard I try. People about my height younger and older than me are 20 to 30 points ahead of me doing the exact same thing at the exact same time...
I am worried that their is a problem..
I do the treaadmill, elliptical, bike, strength training, basketball, soccer, walking.. i have yet to reach anything past 132 and my target is about 142... Jumping, running, adding resistance, adding speed, you name it, it doesn't work..
I am 37 and 5'3.. I am using an HRM and it seems to match the cardio machines so I am positive its accurate..
i am losing weight and I am still working out.. but the numbers worry me.. oh yes my workouts range from 30 to 140 mins...just depends

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    It is possible that your max heart rate is lower than predicted. If that is the case then the zones you are using are not correct.

There is nothing wrong with it being lower as max heart rate is mostly genetic.

The only way to be sure is to do a max heart rate test to try and determine your max. You can google max heart rate test for info.

The other possibility is some sort of medical issue that might prevent you from raising your heart rate. The only way to rule that out would be to see a Dr.
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    So, what is your resting heart rate. That is, lying down for 20 minutes totally relaxed with your HRM on.
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    No, no answer???

Love to know.
  • fwilburnf
    Options
    sorry.. forgot to check my message board..
    um i haven't checked it lying down, but it is usually 64 before i start working out.. just chillin in a chair watching tv...
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    So, resting rate is pretty good, but you should do the 20 minute thing to record the lowest heart beat.

Most people calculate at 220 - Age = MHR ie. 100%

But you could try these very useful calculators - http://www.brianmac.co.uk/maxhr.htm

And,study up on Rating Perceived Exertion (RPE) and see how this scale matches your HRM. For example I do an exercise for rotator cuffs (W I F T Y) which does not really raise heart rate but I would score the exercises 7 on RPE 10 point scale. Question is at 132bpm can you hold a conversation or is it difficult, if it is difficult you have reached your max working heart rate.

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/borgscale.htm

Bear in mind that is you aren't fit then you will find it hard to get close to your 85% MHR and should be happy at 65%-70%

If you are fit, it will take longer and longer to raise the heart rate to 85% + MHR

Further concerns then I would go to a doctor.
  • fwilburnf
    Options
    ok thanks alot! I will look into it!