Weight GAIN after being taken off blood pressure meds.

Options
Hey Everyone,
I was taken off my blood pressure meds on Wednesday (8/2) and since then I've put on 9 lbs. My diet hasn't changed. Is this normal? Should I call the doctor? Should I say to hell with all this and eat a chocolate cake? I'm really upset over this. Last week should have been a killer week on the scale. But some how I'm up A LOT! I am so upset.

Replies

• nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I don't know what type of BP meds you were on, but some work by being diuretics, so you might gain water weight coming off those.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that you give it time. Medication can do a lot to our bodies, and the sudden absence of it will surely have an impact.

Saying "to hell with it" and going off your diet is a sure way to get put right back on those meds.
  • jrditt
    jrditt Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    especially if you were on some kind of "water"pill then it's water weight. Give it sometime. Monitor your weight and blood pressure and call your doctor if it gets worse although I think they will say the same thing.
  • groovybeenz
    groovybeenz Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Some BP meds are also diuretics so it's probably water weight but 9lbs is a lot so it wouldn't hurt to give Dr a call about it.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Were you taking water pills? Those work by getting your cells to release the water in your cells. Once you're off that, your body will go back to storing up water like it's supposed to.

I'm on BP medication, too. My doctor recently changed my medicine from Lisinopril to Amlodipine because the previous one caused me to cough a lot.
  • twelker878
    twelker878 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    are you still keeping an eye on your blood pressure. Watch it carefully. This weight gain could be water retention from hight blood pressure.
    "Water Retention and Hypertension
    High blood pressure and water retention go hand in hand, as hypertension can result from too much fluid in normal blood vessels or from normal fluid in narrow blood vessels. Blood pressure measures the force of blood against the walls of your blood vessels, and if it remains high over time is called hypertension. It is therefore very important to manage fluid levels, which can affect blood pressure."
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above and would advise you to add sodium to your tracker. Not only will high sodium effect your weigh-ins but it's bad for blood pressure so in order to stay off the meds, it's something you should be watching. Didn't notice your water intake but make sure you're getting at least those minimum 8 cups, more on hot/humid days and on the days when you're active.