Healthy Recipes

Options
pipsydoodles
pipsydoodles Posts: 6 Member
I'm looking for some new healthy recipes to try and I hope everyone can help! :)
I'm a 19-year-old student so inexpensive recipes would be fantastic!! :]]]

Replies

• christopherpm
    christopherpm Posts: 75 Member
    Options
  • christopherpm
    christopherpm Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm a 19-year-old student so inexpensive recipes would be fantastic!! :]]]

If you've got access to a freezer, don't forget that it's often cheaper to cook larger quantities of a recipe, and freeze some portions...
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Perhaps could you expand further and define what you think is 'inexpensive'.. what kind of money are you able to play with?

I agree with the other comment - even if you had a recipe for four people.. thats one meal for dinner, and three for future meals provided no one steals them from you....
  • daydreamer_kt
    daydreamer_kt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I'm a student too, struggling to afford the cheap healthy stuff.

There are some good ideas here of what to eat: http://simplymarlena.com/weight-loss-journey/

A lot of it is American but you can get similar stuff here.

The woman whose web page this is is also a massive inspiration, she's lost about 8st! Incredible.Also taught me lots about makeup too, she is makeupgeek (youtube).

Wow sounds like I work for her or something, haha. Seriously worth checking her stuff out though.

Feel free to add me if you want some other student support. Good Luck!
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I make a lentil lasagne that is great and very cheap. It has a good amount of protein and carbs in.

I posted a ratatouille in the recipe section a few weeks ago that I use as my base. I usually use 2-3 portions of that and mix in about 200g red split lentils then build it into lasagne using cottage cheese instead of white sauce and some light cheddar or parmesan on the top. Very low cal and yummy!! Can be made with mince or chicken too instead of the lentils if you prefer. Makes about 4-6 portions (depending on the portion size - I tend to have 6 lunch or 4 dinner size portions from it)

On TV this week the hairy bikers used leek instead of lasagne sheets so I'm going to try that next time to make it even more low cal :-)
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
  • 4aug12js
    Options
    As it happens, I just made lunch: pork stir-fry in a wholemeal pitta. It's very cheap and scales easily if you're cooking for others; washing up is minimal. It could also be dinner. I bought the ingredients from Asda, but I imagine the options are similar where you are.

1 x wholemeal pitta (from pack of six. If bought in two-for-a-pound deal, each pitta's only 9p.)
    1 x pork loin steak (in the MFP database as "Asda - Pork Loin Steaks (8 Pack Chilled), 1 steak approx 125g"; 63p)
    1 tbsp Asda black bean stir-fry sauce (costs pennies because the jar is huge)
    + whatever veg you have lying around. I used mange-tout, bell pepper, red onion, cucumber and finely-cut carrots.
    1 tsp vegetable/sunflower oil

Hot pan; pork first; drain some fat/water if necessary; veg in; sauce and cucumber in; microwave pitta; transport to face. Should take about ten minutes, max.; total spend per portion (one steak plus veg in one pitta) is well under £1.50. The macronutrient balance is pretty good as well, with plenty of protein, some fat and varied carbs.

Edit: Total calories are around 400.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I totally agree that freezing big recipes is your friend. I make pizza dough a lot, portion it out and freeze it (uncooked). Thaw it in the fridge from morning til dinnertime and then roll it out, load it up and bake it. If you're into low-carb, it's not for you. I don't use sauce and I don't use oil (other than a light mist to keep it from sticking while rising. I roll it out, put some reduced fat cheese on and load it up with veggies. I use a stand mixer but you could do this by hand and get bonus points for exercise :)

Here's the basic recipe I use: http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes/cheri-s-favorite-pizza-dough I usually make at least 4 pizza's worth at a time, bake 1, freeze 3 (place in sealable plastic bag, squish out air, freeze). Once the pizza is cooked, it's an easy thing to reheat or eat cold as well so it's easy to use up the leftovers. If you load it up with lots of veggies, it's healthy and you'll eat fewer slices.
  • rukus1
    rukus1 Posts: 112
    Options
    Ramen noodles! A college kids standby...sautee 6 meduim shrimp in 1 Tbs olive oil. Cook noodles as directed, drain off water, add one half pack of seasoning, stir and add shrimp.. Delish!
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Ramen noodles! A college kids standby...sautee 6 meduim shrimp in 1 Tbs olive oil. Cook noodles as directed, drain off water, add one half pack of seasoning, stir and add shrimp.. Delish!

I admit that I love ramen noodles...but be careful with this recipe and weight loss. Even with half the seasoning packet, I believe each serving (2 per pack) would have 635mg sodium which is quite a lot. Excess sodium can lead to water retention.