Newbie: 2 NSV and a question

Options
Hello everyone, this is my first time posting so I wanted to share my experience with MFP. I've been tracking my food for the last few months but haven't been doing it religiously or even accurately all the time. This last Monday, I must have had a realization or something because I started logging my food routinely and I started working out for 30 minutes a day. So, my two NSVs for the week are tracking my food and exercising 7 days in a row! (I don't even remember the last time I worked out for 7 days in a row, probably never)

In June I weighed 290lbs. Prior to this past week, I've lost 10lbs using MFP which would put me at 280lbs. When I went to weigh in this morning I really felt good about what I was doing this week. I got on the scale thinking 'This is going to be great! I KNOW i lost weight!" I get on the scale and what does it read
280lbs. Not one single pound lost. The reason why I had thought I lost weight was because my clothes started to fit differently. I haven't been measuring myself but I'm thinking that this is a pretty strong indicator that I lost inches rather than weight? I realize that's a good thing but I can honestly say that I'm a person who is motivated by the numbers on the scale so it's hard to not feel defeated or that I did something wrong.

So, I wanted to give you all a little breakdown of what I've been doing this past week and see if you could give me any suggestions or had any ideas of how I can make the numbers on the scale move backwards.

SW: 290
CW: 280
Height: 5'9''
Female

This week I ate 1500 calories a day and didn't eat back any exercise calories.

I've created an at home workout routine that I like to call "Jumping around in my bedroom like a fool". If I had to compare it to anything it would be HIIT or circuit training. A typical workout consists of:

5 min: Warm-up (jog in place)
2 min: Jumping jacks
1 min: Weight lifting
2 min: 5lb Kettlebell swings
1 min: Wall push-ups
2 min: Burpees
2 min: Ski jumps
2 min: 5lb Kettlebell swings
2 min: Jumping oblique twists
2 min: High knees/butt kick
5 min: Cooldown- jog in place/stretch

According to MFP, I'm burning 506 calories every time I do this. So, should I change something? Or keep it up and pray I see fewer pounds next week?

Thanks everyone! This website is awesome for support and motivation!

Replies

• jhner
    jhner Posts: 66
    Options
    MFP tends to overestimate exercise calories. For instance: circuit training for 20 minutes (Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred) shows burning 185 calories. However, most people that have HRM have said they burn only about 150. Just thinking maybe you're overestimating your exercise a little. And if you feel that your clothes are fitting better, then that is a good indication that changes are happening. I had to get over not seeing the numbers move on the scale and go by how I feel, how I look, and how my clothes fit. Also, keeping measurements has helped too. Keep up the good work!
  • andeey
    andeey Posts: 709 Member
    Options
  • Isaanne
    Isaanne Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your NSV! Getting into the rhythm of logging and working out is really most of this battle. The rest i realizing that it will be a lot of that in the weeks to come!

Your diary is not open so it is not clear what you have been eating. I believe that what you eat matters in the short run. In the long run, if you stick to your working out and restricting calories the weight will come off. If you want to see the numbers on the scale move eating a lot of veggies, water and watching your sodium really helps.

Your workout includes some strength training - which is great! As your muscles rebuild they retain water so you may find that you are holding on to water in your muscles. Just don't worry about it and keep working out. Since you are working in weights you might want to add in a rest days and just get your heart pumping and let your muscles rebuild.

I totally know what is is like to want to see the numbers change on the scale! I work out 6 days a week - am under calorie goal, and eat clean - and the weight is coming off very slowly. I seriously thought that I would start working out and it would melt away. But I am losing inches, look better and feel great and fit already.

Keep up the awesome work!!
  • Alioth
    Alioth Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! Your clothes are fitting differently, so something is happening. Totally go out and buy a soft measuring tape. Then measure yourself in several spots once a month. The results you'll see there will make you feel a hundred times better when the scale doesn't seem to be moving. The scale can make you go insane. :grumble:
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! Sometimes our bodies do strange things during this process.

A few years ago I joined a gym, and I was doing circuit training 3 days a week. I lost 2 full pant sizes before I started to lose weight. That was the weirdest thing ever! (I would have kept going, but baby #2 arrived at that point, haha!)

now I'm back at trying to get my health under control.

You can do it - measurement victories are awesome!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!