why weight loss process has been a failure

Options
As i get tired of starting over and over again, I realised just a few minutes ago that, the only reason i have failed this long is because of many many reasons, but the biggest culprit is, trying to make extreme changes all at once. I dotn want to only lose weight, i want to keep it off and this whole no more carbs thing will never work because i will eat carbs.

But this afternoon i had coffee without sugar. I didnt choose to not have sugar, i ran out of sugar. lol. but i was so excited that i decided those 100 calories will make a huge difference in a long run. So i dicided small changes for me, graduallly i will get to my goal weight.

Replies

• Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Small lifelong changes work better than fad diets. Things like forgoing sugar in your coffee, regular soda to water, whole milk to skim, a 1/2 hour walk, these are small changes you can add one at a time. My hubs lost 40 lbs just thinking before he put food in his mouth. He eats like he always has but avoids eating until he is stuffed. He now eats until he is satisfied and that one change has caused all this weight loss.
  • venetianz
    venetianz Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I also decided to walk 3 times a week, about 2 miles to fetch the baby from day care, hope it will work
  • CherylGardner
    CherylGardner Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Even with the sugar, you can gradually cut that back, too. 100 cals of sugar is quite a bit of sugar. 1 tsp is only 15 cal, so you can maybe continually to decrease from the 100 cals down to lesser amounts.

This is what has really worked for me this whole time... just gradually scaling things back until they're healthier quantities.

I think you've got your mindset straight though, good luck!
  • Ezwoldo
    Ezwoldo Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Thats the way to go about it then it will snowball, I started by eating 3 meals a day and not 2 small things will all add up and when you look back you will be, I was such a fool
  • shannabeauvais
    Options
    My biggest advice to you would be to slowly cut out things.. if at lunch you are always eating processed or fast food exchange that meal with a nice whole wheat sandwich or a nice salad with chicken. if drinking soda 3 x a day got to 1 x a day. try working out 3x a week and if thats a sucess for a couple weeks add another day. Try to be realalistic with change. :smile:
  • radioxstar
    Options
    I'm going through the same thing at the moment. The problem with me is I'll buy something like Warbutons Orange Fruit Loaf or Bagels and I'll worry all day that I won't eat it and it'll go out of date so I'll eat it all then regret it later.
  • shannabeauvais
    Options
    i wanted to add one more thing. What worked for me was setting a goal. Like my first goal was to be able to run 1 mile without stoppping after I acheived that I strived to work hard and did a program 8 weeks to my first 5k. I do well if I have a goal to focus on like an event. It worked for me. I am now traiing for my second half marathon. It just keeps me focused. good luck!
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    As i get tired of starting over and over again, I realised just a few minutes ago that, the only reason i have failed this long is because of many many reasons, but the biggest culprit is, trying to make extreme changes all at once. I dotn want to only lose weight, i want to keep it off and this whole no more carbs thing will never work because i will eat carbs.

But this afternoon i had coffee without sugar. I didnt choose to not have sugar, i ran out of sugar. lol. but i was so excited that i decided those 100 calories will make a huge difference in a long run. So i dicided small changes for me, graduallly i will get to my goal weight.

Have you ever tried Stevia in your coffee? I use it and cream. Very good!
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    that's right. this is all about a lifestyle change, not a fad diet. Most people give up because they try to do things they can never stick to long-term.

check out my youtube video about eating more to weigh less. It might give you some motivation as you embark on your lifestyle change!!

http://www.youtube.com/jaymebales83
  • SorchaRavenlock
    SorchaRavenlock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'm going through the same thing at the moment. The problem with me is I'll buy something like Warbutons Orange Fruit Loaf or Bagels and I'll worry all day that I won't eat it and it'll go out of date so I'll eat it all then regret it later.

Put part of the loaf/ a few of the bagels in the freezer. Then you can eat the rest at a later date, and they won't go off ;)
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I'm a firm believer that epic changes out of the gate is the main reason for regain. There's too much to keep up with and then there's a feeling of guilt when you can't keep up the unattainable pace of your new diet. Small changes. Go from white to whole wheat bread. 80/20 ground beef to 92/8. Add a salad or a veggie instead of the french fries.
  • Ivana331
    Ivana331 Posts: 230
    Options
    definitely small changes, I have been here a week and my first change was to cut out soda and all fast food and junk food, but I have eaten chocolate, and ice cream, and just last night I had a sonic chocolate shake and went way over my calories. I know I can't just quit it all cold turkey, I have to ease into it or I will fall back into the bad habits.
    Make one small change at a time, maybe one change per week or two weeks and see how you handle it. As long as you eat healthy the majority of the time and exercise regularly, you can indulge yourself every once in a while! :)
    Keep it up, you can do it!!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I find that small changes work best for me too, and if I have a bad day I don't let it guilt me into making the next day bad too...life is a journey, it starts every day when you wake up still breathing, and god willing it will be going on for a long time still to come...today is the day to focus on today, tomorrow will be here soon enough...I would definitely recommend changes that are liveable for the whole journey, not something that is only a short-term fad...focus on being strong and healthy in eating and exercise habits and the weight will get to a good place in it's own time...it's not a sprint, it's a marathon, small steps are good progress!!!
  • Bettybop1966
    Options
    I am working on small changes too, so you are not alone! I have also "rewarded" myself for good behavior. I have a real sweet tooth and love smoothies!! I make them at home with ice, fresh fruit, lowfat milk and splenda in place of the sugar!! I have cut out sooo many calories like this and honestly, it tastes the same to me. My small changes that really didn't bother me much was vitamin D milk to 1%, coke to diet coke and using splenda. I have been on here for only about three weeks and have lost 7 lbs already, I havent been able to do much exercise because I had surgery the first week I started.. I am excited to get healed up enough to start to exercise so I can tone up a bit... I definately agree, little choices make big differences!! Good luck with your weight loss!! : )