Fighting!!!

Options
There's this gym across the street from my place (from here on referred to as "Fight Club"!) that has classes doing kickboxing, MMA, kettle bell stuff, combat samba, and some weird wrestling thing. I'm really really really interested in joining if it's not too expensive, and I think I would be good at it and hopefully the boys don't kick my *kitten*! I also think it would be a super fun way to get into shape while also learning self defence. And as a little girl in a big city, that's a definite plus.

I just want to know your opinions about fighting to get into shape; is it something I can do now or would I be better off waiting until I'm in better shape?

And those of you who fight, do you know what COMBAT SAMBO is?? haha I'm looking forward to kickboxing but really I have no idea about this stuff.

:happy:

Replies

• 80Ben
    80Ben Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You should do it! If you like it, it will get you in amazing shape! Maybe see if they have a trial period or a short membership of 2-3 months max to see if you like it first.

Sambo is a russian wrestling style.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I say go for it! Martial arts are some of the best exercise you can do: They are enjoyable and great calorie burners.

If you like it and go at it hard you'll see fantastic results. Don't wait another day, march right across the street and take a free class. If it's a rubbish gym or you don't like it, then you'll have lost nothing. If it turns out to be glorious, then welcome to the rest of your kick-*kitten* life!
  • JBuck1914
    JBuck1914 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Combat Sambo (Russian: Боевое Самбо, Boyevoye Sambo). Utilized and developed for the military, Combat Sambo resembles modern mixed martial arts, including extensive forms of striking and grappling where (unlike Sport Sambo) choking and bent joint locks are legal. Competitors wear jackets as in sport sambo, but also hand protection and sometimes shin and head protection. The first FIAS World Combat Sambo Championships were held in 2001.

In my opinion, I don't think you need to wait to join. It's a great way to get in shape and learn self-defense plus it's going to give you a nice well rounded workout. Cardio + Body weight strength training.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I've fought at club level (not very successfully) and it was a great experience. a real bucket list for me and I may do a few more but I'm getting a bit older now.

the training for Muay Thai is superb for conditioning if you attend a fighting gym. I'd imagine that's the same for all disciplines. Because you are learning something new all the time it keeps your interest and even when you have the basics it's still a great challenge to refine and refine and put the combinations together. Sparring is always great fun.

Go for it - I don't imagine you'll regret it.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I have always wanted to do this. Its a great way to get in shape. I would absolutely do it, if the money is right for you.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    It is a great way to get in shape, and the gym should give you a week free, most do. Don't think of it as fighting to get in shape, beacuse that isn't what you will be doing, you will be mostly taking cardio kick boxing, and other class to get in shape, and those classes usually kick your butt, and after that if you decide you want to actually fight, I'm sure the gym, can get you in to their real training, and sparring programs. It is going to be expensive though, well at least more than a regular gym, most are between $50 - $80 if you are just taking the classes, but if you actually take specific martial arts training class then they can get upwards of $100.00 for a good gym.
  • raerae514
    raerae514 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    It is going to be expensive though, well at least more than a regular gym, most are between $50 - $80 if you are just taking the classes, but if you actually take specific martial arts training class then they can get upwards of $100.00 for a good gym.

That's per month, right?
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    It is going to be expensive though, well at least more than a regular gym, most are between $50 - $80 if you are just taking the classes, but if you actually take specific martial arts training class then they can get upwards of $100.00 for a good gym.

That's per month, right?

Yeah per month.
  • Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with wanting to get in shape and learning to defend yourself at the same time. If it's feasible, then by all means go for it!
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I just earned my black belt in Okinawan karate after 3 hard years of training and it has been amazing, keeping up with the guys and surpassing a few of them...

You CAN do it. Most men are nothing but supportive when it comes to women in these types of gyms.
  • raerae514
    raerae514 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Wow I can't believe not one negative comment, usually someone bursts the bubble lol...

I got my best friend to come with me tonight for a trial class, I'm super excited!
  • nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I love fighting. Let me tell you from experience, I box and no other excitement can compare to stepping into a ring with someone. Even when you are sparring nothing will test your fitness level like fighting. For three minutes at a time you get a mini vacation from everything in the world, every worry, every concern is out the window when that bell rings.

If you have the heart, if you have the courage to do it, then nothing will make you feel as much pride in yourself. As far as gyms go I would look at how the staff interacts with the fighters/students. I would check the equipment, and how well the fighters/students work with the coaches/instructors. Some gyms treat people kinda of rude in MMA/Boxing because so many people come and go. I know at my gyms out of 10 people 2 or three may show up a second time, after they spar maybe 1 will show up. So dont take any shortness or rudeness personally.