Eating On the Run

Options
I pack a snack for my training runs over 6 miles. Currently, I use Power Bar Energy Blasts. They're like gummies with gel on the inside. They seem to do the trick.

What do you use?

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Clif shot blox
    Clif or Gu gels
    Rice crispy treats (seriously... awesome for quick energy)

• Abbygrlbff
    Abbygrlbff Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I use those Power Bar energy gels and the Advocare hydration gels. Love them both!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I like Clif Shot Bloks but find Powerbar gels easier to take and digest during a run. I have a friend who does pieces of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches--haven't tried that yet but sounds like a tasty idea ;)

I also usually bring Gatorade G2 and water on my fuel belt.
  • egotkowski
    Options
    Big fan of Sports Beans made by Jelly Belly, you can get them at REI...those things are incredible.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I love the Honey Stinger waffles.

Plus another vote for sport beans. They're super convenient, not sticky, taste great!
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    and a double post lol
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Honey Stinger Waffles

Swedish Fish
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Rice crispy treats (seriously... awesome for quick energy)

I think you could have stopped at "seriously... awesome"

:drinker:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    SIS GO gels, but after a few hours I get sick of the sweet taste and pop some pretzels in my belt.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    For runs up to 3 hours, nothing.

I only use gels to practice for races. I will do a long run with 2 gels, maybe twice during the marathon training cycle just to make sure they don't upset my stomach. Otherwise, I prescribe to deprivation training. I want my body to be as efficient as possible at using the energy stores it already contains. That way, when I introduce a gel during the race, it's actually going to provide a boost as it's unexpected.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I don't have a belt. I stuff my snack in the back of my sports bra and carry a bottle of Propel in hand LMAO

I tried energy gel once. Tasted like barf but I had to eat it anyway because I had nothing else bleh
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options

I only use gels to practice for races. I will do a long run with 2 gels, maybe twice during the marathon training cycle just to make sure they don't upset my stomach. Otherwise, I prescribe to deprivation training. I want my body to be as efficient as possible at using the energy stores it already contains. That way, when I introduce a gel during the race, it's actually going to provide a boost as it's unexpected.

That's a really good point about teaching your body to be proficient. I think I'm too wimpy lol Also, it's hot and humid 10 months a year here in the Houston area and I just get so depleted so quickly after 4 miles. I remember a training run on Oct 26 two years ago and it was still in the low 90s. I said a lot of bad words. It sucked.

I do get better at training in the heat every year. But I'm still too wimpy for that deprivation stuff :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

I'm also a fan of training your body for the worst (for lack of a better phrase) - not just with calorie deprivation, but also things like weather conditions, terrain, etc.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I make my own homemade "gel" out of honey & molasses - carbs, potassium, sodium , all natural and about $1 for a gel flask (enough for 2 long Sunday runs). When I was buying commercially prepared gels I used Clif Shots (raspberry......like eating dessert!)
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I've settled on carrying a bottle of high5 endurance drink, on any run over 10 miles. This seems to do for me for both my liquid and fuel needs - works ok.

I find my stomach upsets too easily for most of the food type things. And I do struggle with just water. This seems to be a good compromise that gets me round my longer runs quite comfortably.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    A little baggie with raisins and an extra stick of gum.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Jelly beans and Jolly Ranchers. I have yet to try the gels. I agree with what others have mentioned about training without fuel, but I also would not eat something during a race that I hadn't tested in advance. I plan to buy some gels on my next trip past the running store.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Chicken madras with garlic keema naan and poppadoms.
    Spaghetti Bolognese

If I'm wearing white I just go without. Learned that the hard way.
  • ccruns920
    ccruns920 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If I'm going to be out for over an hour, I bring something (I'm sure deprivation training is the best, but I get all crabby after an hour and need something to look forward to, at the very least:). I had a positive experience with honey stingers on my 10-miler this weekend. I also like the sport beans because they don't get sticky. I have a very sensitive stomach and just the thought of consuming any of those coffee or chocolate-flavored gel oozy things worries me!
  • RunningWithoutAWatch
    Options
    I do not take any food with me on my runs. My longest is maybe 7 or 8 miles. I eat a slice of my homemade banana bread. I have the recipe on my blog. I eat a piece of this right before I head out for my run. This provides enough fuel to keep me going for 60-90 minutes.

http://www.runningwithoutawatch.com/2012/07/banana-bread.html

Enjoy!!!

Jay