How Many Protein Shakes Is Too Many Protein Shakes?

Options
I have been taking about three protein shakes a day. One in the morning when I wake up. One after I work out. One as an evening snack. All in all I get about 140 grams of my 200+ daily grams of protein from these three daily protein shakes. So far it appears my body is metabolizing them. I feel I should have more whole foods as opposed to protein shakes but I feel fine too. Thoughts?

Replies

• taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Your body sees it as protein. If that's how you get it, so be it. Just make sure you're getting all your nutrients that MFP doesn't track that would abundant in a whole food.
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I usually drink two. One after workout & one as a afternoon snack, yummy!
  • jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I used to have 2 or 3 a day but am now down to just the 1 for post-workout as my food intake provides plenty of protein already - the shake is just the last bit needed to hit my protein macro each day.

Like taylor5877 said - protein is protein and the body sees it as that. If your diet doesn't get enough protein for your daily needs through normal food and it's not something that can be easily altered for whatever reason, extra shakes will give your body the protein it needs.
  • Nirlbou
    Nirlbou Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    As long as your protein profile includes multiple sources you'll be fine. Legumes, and fish are often overlooked but do contain amino acids not present in poultry or beef sources.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I drink 2 a day, about 60 g total of protein from both combined. For me, I know I've had too many when my stomach protests loudly... :blushing:

Protein powders are a great supplement, but variety is the spice of life. Getting protein from a variety of sources not only helps you meet micronutrient goals, but it keeps you from wanting nothing to do with a protein shake...ever... again. But, as long as you're happy with them, keep on keeping on. Just make sure you're getting the vitamins and minerals you need on a daily basis.
  • jasonthekidd
    Options
    Make sure you're drinking lots of water too when taking in a lot of protein. :-)
  • jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    And remember it's a protein supplement, not sole protein source xD
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    protein is protein whether you eat it, drink it, snort it, or shoot it up. i get about 50% of my protein requirements from whey. works out cheaper and convenient for me.
  • jesseronning
    Options
    A LOT of GREAT info here guys and gals! Thanks for the contributions. I hear ya all load and clear and will make sure I slightly modify my protein intake due to the great suggestions here. Thanks again to all of you!