Surgery to remove loose skin....?

Options
I am seriously considering this and I just wanted to hear stories and see pics from others who have done it! Also, if you have done it.... how bad was the recovery? Did you have to have multiple surgeries? What areas did they take the loose skin from? My main "problem areas" are my belly (looks like a butt in the front lol), my inner thighs, my upper inner arms and the area between my armpit and my ribs... where the bra goes across. It is all just loose and saggy. I hate it! Oh, and my boobs look like deflated air bags. lol.

Replies

• JenMarie8781
    JenMarie8781 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JenMarie8781
    JenMarie8781 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I'd say you need to go talk to a surgeon if you are thinking about it. They will be able to show you pics and talk to you about it. The surgery/surgeries you are talking about is not minor and has a rough recovery and there will be visible scarring.

Not saying you shouldn't pursue it, just saying a doctor would be able to give you all that info and that is the first step anyways.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Seeing that you are 24 years old.... there is absolutely NO need for surgery! The best way to help reduce the loose skin that you have, considering strength training. If all that loose skin is from your pregnancies, you can fix the majority of it with getting into the gym. It's a LOT cheaper and healthier than paying all of that money for surgery. Just my two cents. If you do the work and you still have some loose skin that you want taken care of, then that would be a better time to consider surgery. Good luck whatever you decide on.
  • msacurrie
    msacurrie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Seeing that you are 24 years old.... there is absolutely NO need for surgery! The best way to help reduce the loose skin that you have, considering strength training. If all that loose skin is from your pregnancies, you can fix the majority of it with getting into the gym. It's a LOT cheaper and healthier than paying all of that money for surgery. Just my two cents. If you do the work and you still have some loose skin that you want taken care of, then that would be a better time to consider surgery. Good luck whatever you decide on.

I agree - give it some time and see if it changes. Your body is going through a lot and you are young still!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I'm getting it done August 31. I have lost 125 lbs. I am 31 years old. Add me if you want and I'll update you during recovery.
  • dkbaron
    dkbaron Posts: 23
    Options
    I don't know about the surgery, but wow! You have done a fantastic job...
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Go find Namaste1983, she has! She's fantastic. :)
  • Telugammayi87
    Telugammayi87 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Your skin didn't balloon up in a day, and it won't shrink back in a day :)

Don't worry about anything until you've lost all of the fat you need to lose. Surgery would be a waste and you'd likely have to do it again....

keep the skin hydrated inside and out

strength train, strength train, strength train...

It can take up to 2 years for your skin to tighten up AFTER you've lost the weight you plan to lose...................

Just give it time... I have the exact same problem, and I notice with strength training, my bellybutton is not frowning quite so much ;)

Good luck
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Go find Namaste1983, she has! She's fantastic. :)

THIS!!!! Simply amazing transformation!
  • Nicola1944
    Nicola1944 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Narisong
    Narisong Posts: 191
    Options
    I talked to one of the girls I work with about this (she had it done)... she said that she wished she had waited until she was done with her weight loss instead of getting it done before she has completed her loss. I also read an article last night that said it can take as much as 2 years for the skin to get to it's final state... but it's an individual decision and you should consult your doctor.

There are also other factors involved.. age, how long you have been overweight, hydration, health, etc.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    There is an article in the Huffington Post .... search "loose skin after weight loss" on the site. They say that it can take up to two years for your skin to bounce back and they list some food recommendations. Also, I stumbled upon some youtube videos people have posted during their recovery. Certainly something to consider carefully. Give your body time to catch up with your weight loss first. I've also read that it is considered cosmetic surgery and not covered by insurance.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Here is my advice on the matter as someone who is having it done. Most medical insurance won't cover the procedure unless it is at a point where they deem it medically necessary or very severe. Get a consultation done and find out whether or not your insurance will cover it. If it won't, then more than likely it will recover itself over time. If your insurance will cover it then you're at a point where you need the surgery because it won't recover on its own.

I would not be getting it done if I weren't at the point where insurance will cover it for medical reasons.