Late Night Snacks

Options
Lately Ive been getting hungry late at night and I dont know what is the best snack food to eat!
Does anyone have any suggestions on what they eat thats a small snack and keeps you satisfied?
Thanks!

Replies

• HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I try to keep nuts in the house for this reason. I like the ones with the shells because it's more work to get to them so I only eat until I'm satisfied. I also like the Aldi Fit & Active microwave popcorn. The whole bag is only 100 calories!
  • stefaiman
    Options
    Cottage cheese and fruit/veggies would be a good option, or light cheese with wheat/whole grain crackers. I understand the late night snack issue. I have always had snack before bed, unfortunately before it was cookies, ice cream, and JUNK! Hope this helps
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I eat ice cream.
  • shan10
    shan10 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Banana or orowheat pocket thin with 1 tbs of peanut butter
  • malikabajwa
    Options
    I'll definitely try fruits and cottage cheese!
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese or similar high protein lower fat dairy products. Casein in them will keep you full through the night.
  • 2dayirun4me
    2dayirun4me Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I usually have yogurt or cottage cheese
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Are you eating because you are hungry - or are you craving a particular thing?

If you are hungry, go for something protein packed - like greek yogurt.

For me - it's usually a craving. I use 100 calorie packs. If it's sweet (and/or chocolate) then I have a package of Oreo cookie crisp or a square of dark chocolate (Ghiradelli has them wrapped individually). If it's salty, then I make some popcorn.

If I don't have the calories to spare ... I typically make a cup of decaf Chai (with milk and honey) for less than 50 calories.
  • barbara4907
    barbara4907 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I like Wasa Light and Crisp - 60 calories in 3 crispbreads. I spread a little bit of strawbery jam on them. I try to not eat after 7 pm though. I feel hungry but if I eat something sometimes I can't stop. I'm getting more used to going to bed hungry and I can sleep okay. It feels good in the morning to know I didn't give in.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    I eat ice cream.

hell yeah. melt down some peanut butter too and pour it alllllllll over that sht.
  • BriaMc
    BriaMc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    i like greek yogurt with fruit/nuts in it. So delish and super filling!
  • FinallyFindingLisa
    FinallyFindingLisa Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    ICE CREAM!! Virtually every night! I buy the Blue Bunny sweet freedom items. Most are 100 cals or less and they have no added sugar for the diabetics among us.
  • grabbin_life84
    grabbin_life84 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    1 Tbs peanut butter is kick ace!
  • kjc200763
    kjc200763 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try a glass of water to fill the stomach.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I like Wasa Light and Crisp - 60 calories in 3 crispbreads. I spread a little bit of strawbery jam on them. I try to not eat after 7 pm though. I feel hungry but if I eat something sometimes I can't stop. I'm getting more used to going to bed hungry and I can sleep okay. It feels good in the morning to know I didn't give in.

I second Wasa...I eat the light rye which I believe were less expensive than the Light and Crisp at the store near me. I eat two and split either 2TB of PB2 or a wedge of Laughing Cow light spreadable cheese between them.

Another idea is to get an air popper and make popcorn...I LOVE mine. It takes all of 5min to make popcorn and I know exactly what gets put on it. I mist some oil (I use Pam but you could use anything) and then lightly salt it. I tend to get sick of chewing by the time I really consume many calories. Plus it's got a good dose of fiber (and many people do not get enough fiber).

If you're craving something sweet (as I often do), try keeping no sugar added Edy's fruit popsicles (25 calories) or no sugar added fudgesicles (40 calories) in the freezer. I have the reduced fat fudgesicles which are 60 calories (meant to grab the no sugar added and try them but got the wrong box)
  • Wilson929
    Wilson929 Posts: 100
    Options
    one of my favorites for something sweet : 1/2 cup no sugar added applesause + 1/2 cup low sodium cottage cheese + ground cinnamon. Warm in the microwave for a bit.

fav for something salty: 1/2 tbls. light sour cream + 1/2 tbls. Franks Red Hot Sweet Heat BBQ Sauce. Use Kashi Pita Crisps to dip.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    If it's a craving you have, have a controlled portion of what you crave once in a while.

If you're really hungry, eat something with protein or good fats in it, like a small yogurt with almonds, a protein bar, a boiled egg, etc.
  • Halleeon
    Halleeon Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I usually grab a little bit of leftovers (especially whatever protein I had)
  • lkafka1063
    lkafka1063 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    almonds!
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I like to throw some dry cereal in a baggie and snack on that. Kashi Cinnamon Harvest is my fav :-)