How far in advance do you log your food?

Options
toots99
toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
I'm curious. Do you log it as you go? Or log it in the morning, planning what you're going to eat for the day? Does anyone here go as far as logging and planning for the week?

Replies

• Trav
    Trav Posts: 2,022
    Options
    I log mine as I go....
  • agarlits
    agarlits Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I log mine in the morning and stick to it, I find it easier to stay in my calories that way.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I too log mine as I go.

My appetite is fickle. I eat whatever I crave, generally and within reason. I'd be hard pressed to plan for dinner, I know. I can predict my breakfast and generally my week day lunches, but dinner differs based on my mood.
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    As I go! Unless I am going out to eat in which case I usually look up the menu items I'd be interested in. But I still don't log them until they are in me! :o)
  • j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    As soon as I put it in my mouth I log it. that way I always know where I'm sitting for calories.
  • hjmygatt
    Options
    When I pack my breakfast, lunch and snacks to take to work the night before, I log my food. That way I know what I have left to play with for dinner, or maybe even a Starbucks treat. :)
  • angelwings2000
    angelwings2000 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I log as I go, just in case the amounts vary or things don't go as planned. My life can be fickle! If I eat it or drink it, I log it.
  • kingnatalie
    Options
    I log as I go, if I am able to I log for the entire day in the morning - or at least what I know for sure. That way I always know exactly where I stand, and can make adjustments if necessary.
  • cassandra1220
    cassandra1220 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I do mine up to a week in advance. I go grocery shopping on Sundays so I know what is in the house. If a situation arises (like today...didn't know we were going to the in-laws house for pastichio!) I can always change it. But for the most part, it is set in stone. I don't eat out often so I don't have a difficult time sticking to my plan, and when I do, I know enough in advance to plan accordingly.
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I have been logging the night before and then changing it through the day if I need to. I have found that having an idea of what I am doing makes a huge difference! If I make something that I know I am going to eat for the next few days I go ahead and put it in, but I end up revamping the night before anyway.

Planning ahead has kept me on track the best anything has so far.
  • donna56
    donna56 Posts: 412
    Options
    I do mine as I eat or drink, that way I know what I have left calorie wise for dinner and if I think I may go over my calorie intake, it's back on the treadmill to burn more calories
  • Belle84
    Belle84 Posts: 36
    Options
    im trying slim fast for a few weeks, so i'm logging my breakfast and my lunch in advance and my dinner and snacks as i eat them x
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,753 Member
    Options
    I log mine all first thing in the morning and adjust if necessary throughout the day — like if I end up not getting m protein drink in or if someone already ate what I thought I was going to have for lunch, etc.
  • Christin09
    Christin09 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I log it in the morning after breakfast, and log the whole day except for dinner, I log dinner after cause I know thats when I eat the most and it changes all the time. I find it easier to stick with if I log in the AM but I do end up having edits now and again though the day.
  • fit4life84
    fit4life84 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I log my food first thing in the morning, so I'm not eating unconsciously through the day. If I make any changes, I go back and adjust when I have my meal(s).
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I already plan menus for the week before I go the the market. In the morning when I check my email, I log my food for the day. In the evening I make any adjustments needed.

I used to do it throughout the day and it drove me crazy. I find it easier to have a plan. I'm an obsessive list maker. It just feels easier that way.
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I'll track up to a week in advance and then adjust when I need to.
  • Solandra
    Options
    I usually log as I go for breakfast and lunch, but my late afternoons are frequently spent planning dinner, so I pre-log.

I'm really bad about logging at all on weekends, but that's something I'm going to work on this year.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I find I do better if I log it in advance, but I usually end up logging as I go.
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    I log it as I eat it generally. But I plan the night before what I'm having the next day. I also try to meal plan when I go grocery shopping so I know what I will be having for the week.