Low Thyroid Help

Options
I had a hyperactive thyroid a few years back and had radioactive iodine treatment. After a stubborn fight, it was finally destroyed. The problem now is that it is extremely low. I have been having my medicines adjusted recently, but I have noticed that I am still gaining weight. I know I am still probably low thyroid, but I should probably start to see this normal out soon. Does anyone else have low thyroid problems? If so, did you gain weight because of it? Is there anything I can do to help from gaining weight besides cutting more calories??

Replies

• gnakazawa
    gnakazawa Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's disease (low thyroid, autoimmune disease) for the last 20 years. My body is slowly destroying my thyroid gland. I have dieted and it helps but only to a point. The only way I can lose weight and/or maintain my weight is through vigorous exercise. I know, I know when the thyroid is low the LAST thing you want to do is exercise but it really does help and I feel so much better when I'm done. Not just the whole endorphin thing but a tremendous sense of accomplishment that despite how exhausted I feel because of the low thyroid I did my exercise.

Best of luck ~ you CAN do this! :smile:

Edited to add: DO NOT SKIP or forget your meds!!! This is critical!!!
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    gnakazawa - me too!
    I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's about 4 years ago now. It is extremely difficult to lose weight. I can totally relate to feeling invigorated after a vigorous exercise routine. I love it! You are right it is so difficult to get that motivation to get out and exercise, but yeah definitely worth it.
    meli - expect 1-2 years for your body to adjust to your medicine. That's how long it took for me, then we had to readjust and I'm just now getting to a point where I can really notice what it's done for me. Patience is definitely the key. Oh, and as I just realized, don't cut calories! The more calories you cut, the less your body has to help burn the fat. Think of it as fuel to burn the logs in the fire.... like using lighter fluid to give the logs a head start. You need it to burn the fat. So keep your calories up (for me it's around 1400-1500 cal/day) and just exercise as much as possible.
    p.s. I gained about 30 pounds in 3 years after the onset of Hashimoto's and struggle keeping the rest of it off. Then again I was a skinny little thing when I was diagnosed so I was certainly lucky, but depressed now that it's here. lol.
  • fowlmeli1093
    Options
    So do you take medication? If so, how much and of what do you take?
  • LadyEss60
    LadyEss60 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I too also have Thyroid Disease (thyroid nodules). I've been on the meds for a year now and still feel that they are not right ... they're helping but I feel I need a larger dose.

I recently met a lady who also suffers from the same thing and her advice was find an endocrinologist and stick with them. They will learn your system and are more willing to change the meds up and down during different seasons ... apparently your levels fluctuate the same as the seasons. I have 6 months to wait but I'm hopeful that in the end I will find this more manageable.

I agree with the other posters ... push yourself to exercise. It really does help! Good luck!

BTW I take Synthroid 0.075 mg (Levothyroxine NA 0.075 MG) and specifically ask for no generic substitutions. Apparently generic substitutions can differ quite dramatically and affect your progress.
  • fowlmeli1093
    Options
    I am taking 150 mcg. About two weeks ago the doctor said that my levels were 13 points and were suppose to be .5 to 3...
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry i didn't see this yesterday, man it got bumped back!
    I take 88mcg of Synthroid daily.
    I also ask for no generic substitutions but just found out my health care insurance (new) will no longer cover non-generic brands. I guess I'll pay the extra because I'm not going through the stabilization process again. The difference in generics and brand names are the fillers, and yes that can make a big difference in your levels.
  • slightingscale
    slightingscale Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    An addition of T3 may help you. Here's a zany website, but it has some info that has greatly helped me! :flowerforyou:

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/