chicken thighs

Options
sailinjen
sailinjen Posts: 103 Member
OK....Ive heard that chicken thighs are lower in calories than breasts so...I bought some and now I want an awesome recipe from all my fitness pal friends.....any suggestions?? All is appreciated!

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I never knew that chicken thighs are lower in calories than breasts! Thanks for sharing :)

Now, I don't have a recipe but I know a few sites with AMAZING recipes:

www.skinnytaste.com
    www.allrecipes.com

:smile:
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    browned chick thighs in some olive oil and then threw chicken thighs in crockpot with lite soy sauce/ketchup/hoisen sauce/brown sugar/pepper/garlic powder/sesame seeds. Put it on low for about 6 hours. It was delicious. You could put over brown rice. My boyfriend said it was better then the sesame chic at the chinese place. LOL
  • heatherpg47
    heatherpg47 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    My husband came up with this while camping in Italy. We made it in a pot over a fire, but now we eat it at home too! Delicious.. We call it POLLO ENFENOLA, recipe as follows:

I take the chicken thighs and cook them whole in stewed tomatos and tomato puree. (You want to cover the chicken) Add some whole basil leaves, garlic cloves, salt and pepper to taste. Put lid on and cook until thighs are no longer pink on the inside. Serve over small piece of french bread, and sprinkle a small amount to parmasan on top.

I hope you enjoy it! Is one of our favorite meals.:smile:
  • mrsmel55
    mrsmel55 Posts: 168
    Options
    I call this one lemon chicken. I will take about 3 cups of chopped onions and about 1 tablespoon of canola oil in the big non-stick skillet with the glass cover. Cook the onions until almost brown and carmelized. Season boneless skiness chicken thighs with lemon pepper and add to onion mixture. Cover and cook until chicken is done and can be broken apart with the spoon. You can serve over rice if you want. I usually cook that with either sweet peas or baby lima beans. We have been skipping the rice pretty much. Hubby loves it and asks me...are you sure this is diet? LOL
  • yabba45
    yabba45 Posts: 35
    Options
    omg that sounds so good I do a very similar recipe with the wings/drummies
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    As far as I know, that's wrong... I've always heard chicken breasts are lower in calories than thighs. Which is sad because I prefer the taste of chicken thighs over breasts. I still googled it though... You can read it at this link.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/418813-the-nutrition-of-chicken-breasts-vs-thighs/
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    No they are not - 100g of chicken breast is 165 cal and 100g of chicken thigh is 209. (Both meat only of course) However, chicken thighs are great and I use them all the time. They work a lot better than breasts in slow cook recipes because they don't dry out easily.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    you've been listening to some people that have no idea what they're talking about
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    They're not. They're higher in fat and calories. But really eat what you feel like eating, just control your portions accordingly.
  • eruditejaz
    eruditejaz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Well I think they are great brushed with a little olive oil, seasoned with seasoning salt, black peper and garlic powder and tossed on the Foreman or in the electric oven. Hope that helps!
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Chicken dark meat is higher fat than light. But don't let that dissuade from eating them! It is not so dramatic a difference that you can't have them without guilt! :-)
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Bump! I love chicken!
  • sailinjen
    Options
    OMG...all those sound fantabulous! Cannot wait to try em. Rocco DeSprito? said that thighs were less calories, and really I dont care. The protein is what I want. I always have used breasts but I want to switch it up. Thanks for all the recipes guys!!!
  • sailinjen
    Options
    exactly...not enough difference to worry about!
  • mrsmel55
    mrsmel55 Posts: 168
    Options
    Well I think the thighs may be higher in calories per ounce...but its like with everything else you have to practice portion control. Hubby prefers dark meat so that usually what I cook. I cook them often most of the time just on the George Foreman grill with just a tiny bit of season all.. We make sandwiches, put it salads, or have them with beans. And we are both losing weight. I also like to cook them with tomatoes (no salt added) and tomato sauce (no salt added) and onions and serve that over angel hair brown rice pasta. We eat a lot of chicken! LOL
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    foodnetwork.com
    allrecipes.com
    skinnytaste.com
    kaylenskitchen.com
    ...or google chicken recipes and find a ton more sites, check around for your favorites and save them for future reference.
  • kcrozell
    kcrozell Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    This sounds delicious!