Goodies (cake) at work

Options
2»

Replies

• backonbandwagon
    Options
    So feel your angst - it is like a freaking magnetic tractor beam drawing you towards the goodie! You know it is there even if you're trying not to think about it - weirdness... Evil cake :tongue: Besides imagining nasty aliens dropping the goodies into your day just to send you into a flat spin, perhaps wouldn't be such a tempting indulgence if you imagine that you brought it. I dunno, I always think it is a treat if I didn't have to make it. "oh, it's just the cake that I brought for everyone to enjoy" not biggie... Or put your mind into food snob mode. You only eat high-end quality goodies. If it is a bought birthday cake with icing made from a petroleum by-product base -- stay far, far away. You only eat the good quality cake with the real butter icing, because you're worth it :wink: And it if is homemade - too dangerous, you don't know if their kitchen is food safe - a complete lie but we're trying to justify abstaining, right? :ohwell: Good luck! Know that we're (your MFP friends) are thinking about your immediate temptation hoping you make it through the day without cracking. You can do it!!
  • samasche1
    samasche1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I spit in that cake!
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Make yourself some healthy alternatives to leave in the office! Some protein bars/cookies would be handy to have about in times like these :)
  • phoenix8633
    phoenix8633 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty good at resisting the cake at work. Even though it looks delicious I have to say no to myself!!
  • warpedlogic
    Options
    The cake is a lie! lol, had to. Anyway, what I do whenever this happens is I usually wait until lunch to have my little sliver and then only eat it after I ate my meal. Also if you've learned to interpret when you're full, then avoid the temptation by saying 'no, I'm full and don't need any more food.' This is my mantra as I know what the full feeling is like.
  • mangobadango
    mangobadango Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I sneezed on the cake. I am very sick today. Oh and it is stale too. Tastes awful.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    I normally convince my self that the baker spat on it because he didn't like the person who bought it. Or make up some scenario like that in my head. Do you really wanna eat the spit cake or the one with cockroach wings in it?
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Okay, some folks are joking around about sneezing or spitting on it or whatever. But, I heard a true eye witness account of a lady who thought it was funny when nobody was looking to lick each and every cookie, cupcake, or whatever treats were brought in to the office. Then she would sit and laugh every time someone else came in and picked one up and ate it. I was disgusted by the story, but it has definitely made me think twice about eating the office sweets.
  • sydnisd183
    sydnisd183 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Good for you for writing it down. Seeing it in black and white will sometimes take the power out of it. And congrats for only having the one little slice.

Thank goodness no one really brings in goodies around here, although when it's holiday time that's a different story. I have a planned cheat/relax day which is Sunday, where I don't weight train, run, etc and I can eat what I feel like eating. I've found that that keeps me in check. I would rather relax with my treats while watching a movie in my own home instead of snacking on goodies in the office. Just think about somebody sneezing/coughing on that cake or the grossest person in your office running their finger across the frosting and licking their finger saying "yup that's some good cake right thereeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" :noway:
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I personally refuse to give up even slivers of cake for the rest of my life.

If you really love cake, eat a small piece - or half of a small piece - and take it out of something else in your day. Life is to short to say no to everything.

Remember - the first bite is the best - and you get less pleasure out of every one after that.
  • bcw660816
    bcw660816 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    There always seems to be cakes and goodies around the office (at least a couple of times a month). I used to ask myself, "Do you want a piece of cake, or do you want to see the scales move downward?" Scales always won. I really didn't want it. It was just part of my past bad habits..... food available ~ eat it. Most of my co-workers don't offer it to me anymore, or say "I'd offer you a piece but know you don't want it." They are all very supportive of my weight loss. I also have learned to say "I don't want it" instead of "I can't have it". "Can't" sounds like I'm depriving myself. "Don't" is more more decisive. After a while you won't even think twice about saying no.
  • nxd10
    Options
    There always seems to be cakes and goodies around the office (at least a couple of times a month). I used to ask myself, "Do you want a piece of cake, or do you want to see the scales move downward?" Scales always won. I really didn't want it. It was just part of my past bad habits..... food available ~ eat it. Most of my co-workers don't offer it to me anymore, or say "I'd offer you a piece but know you don't want it." They are all very supportive of my weight loss. I also have learned to say "I don't want it" instead of "I can't have it". "Can't" sounds like I'm depriving myself. "Don't" is more more decisive. After a while you won't even think twice about saying no.

Also a good philosophy.
  • JMPerlin
    JMPerlin Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    At my job the powers that be have decided to entertain customers at my site. So almost everyday of the week there is pizza, Moe's SW grill, bagels, donuts you name it. It truly drives me insane as the company wants us to eat healthy. AAARRRGGGHHH!
  • ZSherrill
    Options
    It's OK to have these treats every once in awhile. When you do, limit yourself to 1 serving and plan to excercise to burn and earn extra calories.
  • fabandfunat51
    fabandfunat51 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Okay, some folks are joking around about sneezing or spitting on it or whatever. But, I heard a true eye witness account of a lady who thought it was funny when nobody was looking to lick each and every cookie, cupcake, or whatever treats were brought in to the office. Then she would sit and laugh every time someone else came in and picked one up and ate it. I was disgusted by the story, but it has definitely made me think twice about eating the office sweets.

OH MY GOSH THAT IS SO DISGUTING! I work with all men who DON'T WASH THEIR HANDS after going to the potty. Yuck! So staying away from trats is no prob for me. ALSO my boss brings in EXPIRED FOOD! Candy, energy bars, old fruit, etc. Seriously disgusting! We all know now not to eat anything he brings in. We had our company Christmas party at my home, and my boss "donated" a huge box of Costco meatballs. When I opened the box to prepare them, they were ENCASED WITH ICE CRYSTALS. So I looked at the expiration date. IT WAS FROM 2005!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 6 YEARS OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! REALLY??? REALLY???

DON'T EAT THE CAKE! LOL
  • gendoll
    gendoll Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My boss bought everyone a treat from the cafe across the parking lot today and for me she brought in this huge brownie covered in icing and walnuts. I had a ton of calories left over from yesterday so I figured I would be okay to eat it. I ate 3/4 of it and have been sick to my stomach since. It wasn't worth it and next time I will definitely remember how I feel right now to help avoid those oh so yummy "treats". Good luck resisting.
  • nxd10
    Options
    My boss bought everyone a treat from the cafe across the parking lot today and for me she brought in this huge brownie covered in icing and walnuts. I had a ton of calories left over from yesterday so I figured I would be okay to eat it. I ate 3/4 of it and have been sick to my stomach since. It wasn't worth it and next time I will definitely remember how I feel right now to help avoid those oh so yummy "treats". Good luck resisting.

This.

A bite is good and a lot is too much.

My son's philosophy is that if it doesn't taste and feel good it's not worth putting in your mouth. I like that.