Sodium Intake

Options
I am in the process of trying to bulk up a little bit so I have been trying to eat between 3,000-and 3,500 calories a day. I have been able to do that pretty well for the most part except I am taking in way too much sodium. I usually do pretty well with my main meals its the snacks that I really have issues with. I guess what I want to know is if anyone has any ideas for high protein snack foods with low sodium. I know where my problem areas are, but I guess I just don't know how to replace them. I appreciate any help I can get. Thanks

Replies

• billmoe92
    Options
    I would also like to add that I drink a lot of water. Is there any truth to drinking a lot of water can balance out eating a lot of sodium?
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    It would help if your food diary was public so we could see what your eating to make suggestions for alternatives.

Drinking more water does help and so does working out becuase you sweat out some of the excess. I've heard the recommended amount of water is 1 ounce per 1/2 pound of body weight. So if you weigh 200 pounds, that's 100 ounces (or 12.5 cups). You can also check your hydration level by looking at your urine. Assuming you're not on any meds or vitamins that may effect the color... If it's very pale yellow, that's optimal. Totally clear is a bit too hydrated. Darker yellow, especially with a smell means you're dehydrated.

Do you have any family history of heart disease? If so, talk to your doctor or a nutritionist about what they recommend for sodium levels. I think the standard is 2500 per day but the American Heart Association says only 1500.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Animal-Based Products
    Animal-based products are often packed with protein, and many do not naturally contain much sodium. Unprocessed, unseasoned beef, lamb, pork, poultry and fish are low in sodium. Eggs and egg substitute are also solid choices for a low-sodium diet.

Plant-Based Products
    Some plant-based foods also supply adequate protein with little or no sodium. Dried beans and peas, unsalted nuts and salt-free natural nut butters are all high in protein and low in sodium. Additionally, quinoa is a complete protein that contains little sodium. Milk substitutes, such as soy and almond milk, tend to be lower in sodium than their dairy alternatives, according to the book "500 Low Sodium Recipes."

Foods to Avoid
    Some high-protein foods are also high in sodium, and you should avoid them on a low-sodium diet. Cured, smoked and salted meats, such as sausages, ham, hot dogs, bacon, cold cuts and lox, are some of the worst offenders. Canned meat, fish and beans can have added salt. Prepared, frozen or marinated meat entrees also tend to be high in sodium. Read the nutrition information on any prepared or canned items before consuming them.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/300434-low-sodium-high-protein-foods/#ixzz22mjSkIQl
  • billmoe92
    Options
    There is no history of heart disease/ high blood pressure in my family so that's a plus. My biggest problem has been eating processed foods for snacks. Lately I have been trying to stop eating things like beef jerky and those sorts of processed foods, but then I really didn't know how to get that amount of protein without actually cooking up some unprocessed meat. I think I will try adding some more plant-based products.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    If you are concerned about water retention from high sodium, you can try to add in high potassium foods to the day to sort of balance it. Sodium and potassium work opposite one another.

Also, keep drinking the water. :)
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    If you are concerned about water retention from high sodium, you can try to add in high potassium foods to the day to sort of balance it. Sodium and potassium work opposite one another.

Also, keep drinking the water. :)

This! Add in a couple potatoes and you are good to go

I am also bulking, but not worrying about sodium
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I think the standard is 2500 per day but the American Heart Association says only 1500.

The last time I checked, standard is 2300mg and the 1500mg was for those with heart issues or other medically required sodium reductions. (or a very vague 55+age group, too)
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    In my view, as long as you're getting an equal amount of potassium, getting adequate magnesium, drinking water, exercising, have good blood pressure readings, and have no history of heart disease in your family, it's not worth worrying about.

As to your protein question, milk, almonds, and eggs have great potassium/sodium profiles; peanut butter isn't bad either.
  • jjefferies7
    Options
    sodium only matters if you are inconsistent.. if you eat 1000mg of sodium one day and 5000 the next day ect. it's bad, thats when you see bloating and problems associated with high sodium intake. if you ate close to the same amount of "high" sodium everyday your body will adjust after a period of time and it'd be the same as if you were eating very low sodium everyday.