Stomach/gut fat

Options
I'm on a weight-loss mission at the moment and obviously exercising. I know that sit ups are going to firm up my stomach muscles and tone them up nicely (as and when) but I have a huge portion of gut that hangs down around my hips, I can only describe it as a beer gut (although I don't drink). What's the best way in terms of exercises to get rid of this/tone it up please?

Many Thanks :-)
xx

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. Just work on your diet and it will disappear with some patience.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    since we cant target where the loss comes from, keep eating healthy and burn fat with cardio. :)
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    For me, it eventually goes away, just when it is ready.
  • DietandVlogsense
    DietandVlogsense Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm similar, in that my belly is disproportionately fatter than other areas, but I have found that I am seeing most benefit from my weightloss in that area.
  • phynyxfyre
    phynyxfyre Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have this a little from baby weight. Sigh... It just takes its sweet time leaving. BUT it does leave as you reduce overall. Lifting weights helps build muscle. Muscle burns more fat than dieting and exercise alone. So if you add weights that may help the process along. Take a starting picture and when you are feeling discouraged take another photo and compare. Or starting measurements. You will be surprised at the difference you see and this will keep you going. You can do this!
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    All you can do is eat within the MFP guidelines so you have a calorie deficit and carry on with your situps and crunches to tone the muscle underneath. As you lose fat then your muscles will give a more toned look.

Sadly you can not target areas for the fat to go from.
  • Mama_Mila
    Mama_Mila Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Do reverse situps! Keep your legs up and do the situps :) it helps build that lower muscle!
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. Just work on your diet and it will disappear with some patience.

Wait. Wasn't there a post Friday that you CAN spot reduce?? That woman did it against all odds. She has a magic body.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    No exercises are going to specifically target that fat, but you are on the right track!

Keep eating a moderate deficit, and work on your core. Core strength is very important :)
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    I so wish I had a magic wand for my buddah belly...POOF...gone. But it doesnt work that way....just keep eating well and exercising...and it will eventually come off!
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Usually you lose fat in the reverse order that you gained it. If you gain in your stomach first, it might take awhile to lose the gut. I've lost a good chunk of my gut, but now that I have muscle forming underneath the fat, I can't suck it in so it actually looks almost as big as when I started. It is also unevenly losing fat so one side hangs down about half an inch lower than the other side and it is getting saggy. Makes me a bit self conscious but I know if I stick with it, I will get it where I want it. You will too...just stick with it!
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

Wait. Wasn't there a post Friday that you CAN spot reduce?? That woman did it against all odds. She has a magic body.

LOL unfortunately we aren't all special snowflakes
  • BLKeisha
    BLKeisha Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    make sure that you do cardio and strength exercises and it will go away. It will take time so be patient. I would take measurments often every 2 weeks or once a month along with pics so you can see that its going away cause it might always look like a trouble spot to you and it will help you stay motivated:happy:
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Do reverse situps! Keep your legs up and do the situps :) it helps build that lower muscle!

or try inverted upside down sit ups...with a twist!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

I've been begging her via PM to sell me her secret but she refuses :( So I guess the rest of us will have to do it the old fashioned way...
  • Earthgirl88
    Earthgirl88 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    thank you all. :)
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue but I know you can't pick and chose where you lose from. My stomach is gross from having kids and whatnot. Saggy.. yuck.. It looks like bread dough.. lol. Just gonna take time.
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I've lost 93 lbs and my body fat is down to 21% and I've still got mine - below my belly button. I work out intensively and do weight lifting and tons of cardio as well as ab stuff. I am thinking that nothing is going to get rid of short of a tummy tuck. Not sure yet if I am willing to do that so I might just have to live with it.

I've seen younger people who have less weight than I did to lose come out fine with some really nice ab muscles, so have hope. I have also had three very large babies over the last 17 years so that takes its toll too.
  • gigiangelique
    gigiangelique Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    CARDIO CARDIO CARDIO and clean eating will get rid of it. lean protien high fiber.
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    CARDIO CARDIO CARDIO and clean eating will get rid of it. lean protien high fiber.
    ^^^^ All the crunches in the world mean nothing if you're not eating clean(ish).

But don't ignore strength training and do solely cardio. Build up some muscle everywhere to increase your overall metabolism so you burn more fat when you're at rest.

Evolution is a jerk, and sadly stomach fat is generally going to be the last to go for ladies. Don't give up.