Do other athletes run faster than 100m runners?

Options
BerryH
BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
In which Olympic sport do athletes run fastest? Long jump and vault run-ups, for example, must go even faster than the 100m finals, if over a shorter distance, don't you think?

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    And another thing. When you reach a standard where shaving grams of your shoe weight makes a difference to your performance, why would you wear heavy jewellery, like the clunky gold necklaces some runners favour?
  • Merithyn
    Merithyn Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I've always been amazed at just how fast the gymnasts are running at the vault. I would think that they have to be at least as fast as the 100m runners, though, as you said, for a much shorter distance.
  • mikejacobs1958
    Options
    And another thing. When you reach a standard where shaving grams of your shoe weight makes a difference to your performance, why would you wear heavy jewellery, like the clunky gold necklaces some runners favour?
    Agree with you there, I even saw one of the heats, where the sprinter had the pendant in his mouth.... wot's that all about ?
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Blocks make a huge difference and I can't think of another event where the run up involves blocks. So, I'm going to say no, the 100m girls and guys have the ultimate speed on land.

Skydivers on the other hand...
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I just noticed you qualified it as Olympic sports (which skydiving isn't yet a part of):

divers probably move faster, and sailors/rowers also. But under their own power I still can't think of any.
  • ticho9
    ticho9 Posts: 25
    Options
    Interesting question... My personally take is that several variables need to be considered in the equation in order to fairly calculate speed. For example, it the equivalent of a 100m dash the same as the maximum speed a swimmer can can swim the 50m? I personally do not think that any other athlete could run faster than the 100m runners... if they did, they would be in the Olympics doing it...