looking for a little encouragement...or someone in the same

mcohan
mcohan Posts: 116 Member
edited September 20 in Motivation and Support
i know this si kind of a personal topic, but i am feeling overwhelmed and hopeless and i just need a little support...

a couple months ago, my friends and family told me that i needed to gain weight and get help for anorexia. i guess they may have been right, so i started seeing a therapist and a nutritionist. it is no fun! i am comfortable and happy the way that i am and since they have made me gain weight, i am uncomfortable and my eating habits are all over the place. i am not sure what to do... i think i look fine the way i am and quite frankly, i do not want to gain weight! is anyone else in this situation? does anyone have any words of encouragement or even discouragement for me? i just feel crappy about life right now, and no one seems to care...

thanks guys

happy new year!

Replies

• AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,206 Member
    I havn't been in your situation myself but I have been in the place of your family. My older sister struggled with Anorexia for over 5 years. She was a runner in college and still runs marathons. She was unhealthy but she felt that she looked good the way that she was... although everyone that loves her knew she didn't. You need to trust the people who love you. We all have a skewed way of looking at our bodies. You are taking the right steps by going to a nutritionist and seeing a therapist. My sister ended up going this path and she got on anti-depresents which have worked wonders for her. She is still thin but at a healthy weight, her skin looks better, her hair looks better and she is much happier. She eats better foods and she still gets to run marathons. She just got married and is so pleased with her life. I know that she had a really hard time understanding what we saw and that she did have a problem with eating. It was so hard on my family watching her hurt herself in that manner. TRUST your family and friends and have faith they are there for you!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    What does your doctor say?
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    You said that your friends and family want you to get help for anorexia. Have you actually been diagnosed anorexic by a doctor? If so, I don't think you can trust your view of your body. Anorexics have a distorted body image and gaining weight would feel uncomfortable. That doesn't mean that it isn't the healthy thing to do.
  • mcohan
    mcohan Posts: 116 Member
    my BMI is low, i am about 110 and 5'7".... i guess part of me just feels like i should be doing this for myself and not everyone else. my doctor was not going to mention it until i did ... so i dont know exactly what she thinks. she kinda sucks haha! i like being skinny, but i do trust my family i guess.... ia m just not feeling good about the whole situation. i feel out of control!
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,206 Member
    My sister felt that way too at first! I think it will take some time and some help from others. She felt in control when she wasn't eating but out of control when she started to try to help herself. I think you will have hard times but I think its worth it. I think even gaining 10 lbs would help you to be healthier and your family to be happier. If your doctor sucks, find a new better one!
  • ChannyRae
    ChannyRae Posts: 3 Member
    Looking fine and actually being fine are two different things. I have been up and down on the scales from super fit to really fat and I never looked good to myself. The mirror lies and our minds play tricks on us. Getting well is NOT comfortable. I like to say that "Medicine is yucky!" Give your mind and your body the chance to heal. It will be worth it in the end. Affirmations are wonderful. These are my favorites:
    I am lovable.
    I am loving.
    I am loved.
    Tell yourself this everyday, even if you don't believe it.
    You can do it!
    Chantel
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    I agree with the comment in finding a therapist or Dr you like....it will make a world of difference! And, I love *Affirmations*!! My psychotherapist gave me a wonderful tape on this.... A few of mine are ~

1. I am worth taking care of.
    2. I deserve to be happy.
    3. I love myself, no matter what.

Good luck and keep your chin up! :heart:
This discussion has been closed.