seafood/ fish recipes?

Options
OK, I'm not sure why, but ever since I can remember I've had a seafood aversion. Anytype of seafood/ fish in general makes me gag (literrally) But the thing is, I don't eat it, it's just the idea and smell that make me sick; in fact, I can't even ever remember trying it before (fish, shrimp, crab, etc.) With the exception of those nasty baked fish sticks I had as a child.

I WANT to like it, as I know it would be a great source of lean protein, and my husband loves fish (although he never gets it, since I am the main meal preparer in our home) it would definitely give a few more choices other than chicken-- our main staple of protein.
About a year ago, I tried to overcome my aversion, and try tilapia. But, I have never cooked fish, don't know how, and did not want to spend a ton of money on something I wasn't sure would taste good.... so I bought some sort of "flavored" frozed boxed tilapia.... BIG mistake, my husband couldn't even force that meal down, and it only reinforced (in my head) how nasty seafood is. Growing up, both my sisters LOVED it, and still do. Just last week I had dinner with my little sister and she ordered baked fish, shrimp, and for appetizer calamari. So I'm nt sure what happened to me, to grow up hating it so much?!

So I am going to try and do it right this time, I would LOVE for any ideas/ recipes that would be great for me to start out with!

A couple requests though,
-I would like something that is inexpensive to start with, it is hard for me to fork out a lot of money for something that I feel I won't like anyways, especially on a limited budget!
-To start with, I would LOVE a recipe, that maybe masks the smell, and covers some of the "fishy" flavor until I can wrap my head around actually enjoying fish
-I don't think I'll EVER get over my aversion to shrimp... they creep me out, so I may skip that one for now.
-Maybe a recipe that just has a bit of fish included? I'm not sure how I would react to that though, I make a great chicken salad, and my husband suggested that I just use tuna instead, but I couldn't bring myself to do it!

**I know I'm 25, and should either just "suck it up" and eat it, or just continue using other proteins that I enjoy. But I would love to finally add variety to my meals, and my husband would love that he can eat fish again!

Replies

• AwesomeMoJo
    AwesomeMoJo Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    ANy white fish is a good way to go... tilapia, cod, haddock....

This kind of goes against the whole weight loss thing...but start with fried. Not deep fried....to get my sister and niece to eat it ...I bread it (in my own home made bread crumbs and seasoning), put it in a fry pan or skillet with just a tad of olive oil, garlic, and lemon. Cook each side until bronw. Put it on a paper towel to absorb the excess oil and enjoy!!!

Or you can just put it on the george foreman grill after marinating it in some garlic, a little salt, pepper, ginger, and lemon/lime juice.

Remember the "fishier" something smells when purchased the less fresh it is....
  • AwesomeMoJo
    AwesomeMoJo Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah..and to add a different type of protein...try lamb as well. That is one of my favorites recently.
  • dbz9
    dbz9 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    White fish barely tastes like fish and like chicken breasts, can be an excellent vehicle for whatever flavors you put on it.

Easiest way to cook it without having to intervene too much is baking it. In fact, you could put it and some veggies in a parchment packet (en papillote) along with some butter or olive oil and herbs and bake it or put it on the grill. I prefer pan-fried/sauteed for my fish but that involves flipping it and that takes a sense of timing or you lose some of the outside to the pan.

I would go back to tilapia, forget your previous experience and buy fresh or flash frozen filets this time. Ask your sisters what they would buy and buy that. Cook it with a lot of flavorings (veggies, herbs, butter or flavored olive oil) and you will hardly taste the fish itself.

Good luck!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    tilapia, bacon, and onions...put tilapia on the bottom, the bacon on the fish, and the onions on the top...you can wrap it in foil and cook it on the grill or bake/broil in the over...usually about 20 min. does it, but make sure the fish is done (white and flaky, easily separated with a fork)...the fish just soaks up the bacon grease and tastes amazingly not like fish at all...add some salt, pepper, maybe a sprinkle of old bay, voila!
  • megansmith7487
    Options
    Thanks ladies! I've got some Panko up in the cabinet that I need to use, I may try to fry it first! I heard that tilapia is one of the better to try, and thats why I'm super willing to give it another try, and absolutely believe I made a HUGE mistake trying it the way I did last time!

So, there is no preparation I need to do before-hand? Obviously I am not at a point I am willing to clean, filet, debone a fresh fish yet! I may have my older sister come over and cook some for me, seems like a win-win for me!
  • aqm22
    aqm22 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Best way to get the "fishy" smell out of fish is to cover it in lemon and spice rub. Best way to enjoy fish, unfortunately, is get FRESH fish. The longer is it out frozen or unfrozen it develop more of that "fishy" taste and smell. Depending on where you are, get tilapia or trout. They are easily the cheapest fish you can buy from a supermarket. If you want the best tasting fish, seek out a fish market.

Best way to cook fish? Smoother it in lemon and spices. Grilling it or poach it quickly would be the best. If you really want to mask the "fishy" taste, cover it in a little white wine and veggies and then bake it. Fish is hard and they can be very fickle. Just take practice.

Best way to learn how to love or like fish is to find someone or some place that knows how to cook fish and cook them well and try it from there. You won't be able to learn to like something if you don't have it properly prepared. Then you'll learn to understand the sweetness and subtle nuances of fish and seafood.

There are a lot of food I used to hate and always thought I hate them until I had it prepared correctly. Then, I realized I'm just very picky and my pallete is very sensitive. I have to have food prepared correctly.
  • megansmith7487
    Options
    Best way to get the "fishy" smell out of fish is to cover it in lemon and spice rub. Best way to enjoy fish, unfortunately, is get FRESH fish. The longer is it out frozen or unfrozen it develop more of that "fishy" taste and smell. Depending on where you are, get tilapia or trout. They are easily the cheapest fish you can buy from a supermarket. If you want the best tasting fish, seek out a fish market.

Best way to cook fish? Smoother it in lemon and spices. Grilling it or poach it quickly would be the best. If you really want to mask the "fishy" taste, cover it in a little white wine and veggies and then bake it. Fish is hard and they can be very fickle. Just take practice.

Best way to learn how to love or like fish is to find someone or some place that knows how to cook fish and cook them well and try it from there. You won't be able to learn to like something if you don't have it properly prepared. Then you'll learn to understand the sweetness and subtle nuances of fish and seafood.

There are a lot of food I used to hate and always thought I hate them until I had it prepared correctly. Then, I realized I'm just very picky and my pallete is very sensitive. I have to have food prepared correctly.

Thanks! I live in Oklahoma, so I'm not really aware of any nearby fish/ seafood markets :(
    I'm definitely getting a bit excited to try it, hopefully I can keep that excitement up until I actually taste it!
  • kambreemitchell
    Options
    Fish is one of my favorite protiens to eat, but because of my daughter's fish allergy I no longer cook or have any fish in my house. I went fishing yesterday and tonight I will be making fish considering my daughter is having a sleepover. The way i have always been taught to cook fish is baking it. The way I have liked it best is putting the cleaned trout (my favorite) on a baking sheet. Season with Mrs. Dash original, and sprinkle with olive oil. Bake at 350 for 45 mins, after cooking put lemon juice on it. I also have cooked fresh trout a completely different way, I used Salmon. I took a jalapeno took the seeds out, put it in a blender with olive oil, salt, lemon juice, fresh cilantro and made it into a paste. I put that on the salmon and and baked it. I find that fresh lake trout is far less fishy compared to salmon or other sea fish. So if your trying to add fish into your diet I would start with that and slowly work up. I also LOVE CRAB!!!! I buy the frozen kind from walmart and boil it in the crab boil seasoning and serve with melted butter. Crab is not to fishy in the shell part but at the top of their legs (the white part) are very fishy. Shrimp is good boiled, cooled and served with cocktail sauce and also cooking shrimp in butter and seasoning is very tasty. But if its the texture not the taste of the seafood, then you will have a hard time.
  • BiggestLittlePurdy
    BiggestLittlePurdy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    if you have a george forman grill fish is awesome on it. super easy especially if you are cooking for one. i love to pair it with sauteed veggies or roasted veggies, and quite often a salad. I'm currently following the 17DD plan as well so no carbs at dinner for me. I just saw a wonderful recipe for blackened fish taco salad. will try and see if I can find it an post it.
  • BiggestLittlePurdy
    BiggestLittlePurdy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    http://aggieskitchen.com/2010/09/08/blackened-fish-taco-salad-with-cilantro-lime-vinaigrette-oh-and-why-not-another-giveaway/

this would be a great way to prepare fish, and a nice light summer dish to boot. if you are just cooking for two i totally reccomend a george forman grill. it will make cooking fish so easy and healthy for you.

cheers
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I like to poach my fish. I cut medium wide (not too thick, not too thin) ings of citrus, lemon, orange and sometimes limes (you just need more of them)
    lay the rings on the bottom of a skillet, fill with a tiny bit of water (You don't want the water to cover the fruit)

place fish (I would suggest tilapia, flounder and other thin whit fish.)

simmer on medium until the fist is easily flakey. With the kids, I'd serve it with cous cous or something else with a mild flavor.
    when done cooking, rinse the skillet with a bit of milk and then hot soapy water and the smell won't linger as long.
    After rinsing, I toss the fruit ends into the food disposal in the sink to get rid of the smell in the drain.

Once you find the fish you like, you can buy it in bulk, frozen, and save money. I like the salmon patties from cost-co, but they have a good bit of scent.
  • megansmith7487
    Options
    So those that suggest using the George Foreman, how do you prepare it? Just lemon and herb rub? Do I need to spray the grill first?

Love the idea od using the George Foreman since i'd only be cooking for the 2 of us (plus a 2 year old) and hate using the oven in the summer!
  • AmberBucsis
    Options
    I love making a 'fish package' . lol. i know sounds funny but its really really good.. Take whatever fish you like or salmon . Put in in the center of some tin foil, tiny bit of oil or put whatever seasoning you like (i like lemon and herb ) and throw in whatever veggies you like. I put in a couple cubed potatoes (not the whole thing), zucchini, green and red peppers, and carrots, Bake it for about half an hour or so and there ya go, meal in a package and its healthy!! Try it.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to throw in that if it smells fishy, it ain't fresh. I only eat fresh.

I bake my tilapia fillets. Baste with LIGHT olive oil, [not to do with calories, just the taste/strength] then salt and pepper. In a pan, I melt a little butter and whisk in chopped garlic and lemon juice and parsley and other spices you like. (I'd imagine capers would be tasty!)
    Spoon over tilapia fillets on a baking sheet. Bake at 400 for about 15 mins. Wa la! DELISHHH. I served this meal with a brown rice pilaf and feta and some sauteed broccoli. Incredibly filling and my protein was off the charts! <3
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    tilapia, bacon, and onions...put tilapia on the bottom, the bacon on the fish, and the onions on the top...you can wrap it in foil and cook it on the grill or bake/broil in the over...usually about 20 min. does it, but make sure the fish is done (white and flaky, easily separated with a fork)...the fish just soaks up the bacon grease and tastes amazingly not like fish at all...add some salt, pepper, maybe a sprinkle of old bay, voila!
    WOW, sounds heavenly! Trying this this week~ <3
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I use salmon (although this recipe is probably good with other types) and when its on sale, its usually $5ish per pound. Anyways, salmon filet, Stubbs BBQ spice rub (or any spice rub you like). Broil for 5-8 minutes. Pull out and pour SF maple syrup on it (20 calories per 1/4 cup) and place back under the broiler for another 5 minutes. Delish and easy.
  • Laurej
    Laurej Posts: 227
    Options
    to learn to enjoy fish, do not go to your regular grocery store. Go to a GOOD Japanese grocery store. Fresh fish does not smell fishy. Don't try and cover fish smells, get the freshest fish you can find. If you're close to the ocean, buy a fish caught that day.

salt fish, let stand for a bit then bake... :) p.s. if you're unable to get fresh fish from the ocean or a lake, when you go to the fish counter of a grocery store, if there is the slightest hint of fishy smell, don't buy from there.

Salmon or Chilean sea bass are good options for beginner soon to be fish lovers

oops didn't read about not being close to the ocean.

do you have whole foods, or a Japanese market close by? those would be the best places to check. If those aren't available even trader joes has some decent flash frozen fish.
  • I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I love fish!!! In fact I try to eat fish several times a week :) Works out well living here near Puget Sound..we tend to have a lot of seafood stuff :P

But my favorite way to do fish, any fish is to broil/bake it. I get the filets...and many times the fish shops will cut it for you and filet it, and debone it! Doesn't hurt to ask.

So...I take said fish and put it skin side down (if there is skin!!) on a foil covered baking sheet after spraying the foil with Pam or whatever you use. I then take some dried tarragon, some salt, fresh black pepper, as well as some other herbs... such as dill or parsley. I then take a few thin thin thin strips of butter/margarine/SmartBalance and lay them over each fish piece.

I then broil/bake it in the oven till it flakes. Remove from heat, plate it and add a lemon wedge to the plate with it as well as some couscous, rice, or small roasted potato, and add roasted veggies on the side.

Its sooo good!!! I also use the lemon-citrus rub on fish...sprinled tho not really rubbed.

If you have issues with texture... you might want to try one of the other types of fish... shark, swordfish, tuna etc. The mouth feel is very different... its almost like eating a piece of beef texture wise.

And as for crab? You can use crab to make crab salad sandwiches, or add to a white pasta sauce over spaghetti squash or pasta. Its such a yummy thing... and its versatile!
  • jesss5885
    jesss5885 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    bump
  • harrisaman
    Options
    Just wanted to throw in that if it smells fishy, it ain't fresh. I only eat fresh.

I bake my tilapia fillets. Baste with LIGHT olive oil, [not to do with calories, just the taste/strength] then salt and pepper. In a pan, I melt a little butter and whisk in chopped garlic and lemon juice and parsley and other spices you like. (I'd imagine capers would be tasty!)
    Spoon over tilapia fillets on a baking sheet. Bake at 400 for about 15 mins. Wa la! DELISHHH. I served this meal with a brown rice pilaf and feta and some sauteed broccoli. Incredibly filling and my protein was off the charts! <3

Oh my, that sounds delicious---Will you send me the recipe for your veggie and rice as well? :)