strength or cardio first?

Options
Which are you supposed to do to get teh best resuls?... Cardio then weights?.... Or weights then cardio?....and how long should I do each? I'm also doing 20-30 minutes of circut training too. I'm totally new to weights and strength training so I appriciate all the tips and advise! I want these last 10-15lbs of stubborn vanity fat to go and get my BF% down! Thank you

Replies

• FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I'd say weights first in general, but a lot depends on what your goals are and how your routine is set up.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Always cardio first to get your heart pumping before you lift. You will have others tell u differently, but it has always worked for me.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Weights. And if you did them right, you won't be up for much more than a light walk.
  • EyeLikeTacos
    EyeLikeTacos Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    This depends on your level...

When I first started lifting..I saw huge results by doing cardio in the AM and lifting in the PM.

If I combined the workout...I would do my lfit first then Cardio afterwards...

Now that I have been doing this for over 10 years...I do a light cardio for warm up then lift...and a light cardio afterwards.

Honestly...you should try to never combine the two if you are planning on doing a serious cardio session.
  • nlwilliamson
    nlwilliamson Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    The trainer I have been working with had me doing weights first, so that I won't be fatigued from the cardio, that way I can lift more weight and keep my form correct because i'm not so wore out, although I do a lot of cardio with my strength training so that way works for me but it may not for everyone, I just started doing this and it seems to be working well
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Weights. And if you did them right, you won't be up for much more than a light walk.

Ok thanks :)
  • EyeLikeTacos
    EyeLikeTacos Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    interval cardio got my body fat percentage down to7-8%..,SPRINTS FTW!
  • TXHunny84
    Options
    The trainer I have been working with had me doing weights first, so that I won't be fatigued from the cardio, that way I can lift more weight and keep my form correct because i'm not so wore out, although I do a lot of cardio with my strength training so that way works for me but it may not for everyone, I just started doing this and it seems to be working well

Oh ok thanks I'll try this! It makes sense. :)
  • TXHunny84
    Options
    This depends on your level...

When I first started lifting..I saw huge results by doing cardio in the AM and lifting in the PM.

If I combined the workout...I would do my lfit first then Cardio afterwards...

Now that I have been doing this for over 10 years...I do a light cardio for warm up then lift...and a light cardio afterwards.

Honestly...you should try to never combine the two if you are planning on doing a serious cardio session.

Doing two workouts a day sounds exhausting! LOL But I may try cardio in the AM and weights in teh evening.
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    The trainer I work with recommends light cardio to warm up, 15-20 minutes. Then, strength training, then longer cardio with proper stretching. I feel awesome and not so much soreness afterwards. I often do yoga at night, too.
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I never do cardio as a warmup. To warm up, I do 2 light sets of an exercise for the muscle group I am working on that day and do cardio at lunch or after work. I always do my strength training first thing in the morning because I have the most energy then.

I suggest trying it either way and see what works best for you.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I do 30 minutes of cardio first followed by 90 minutes of weights. If I do weights first then cardio won't get done. It's all about what works for you.
  • KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    weights first. ask any bodybuilder or serious athlete. don't reverse it.
  • quietcoral
    quietcoral Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I usually do weights first... but that's only because if I did cardio first I would not have any energy for weights and I want to be fresh for weights.
  • MommyFancypants
    MommyFancypants Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My trainer always said warm up with 5-10 of light cardio followed by your weight regimen and THEN 30 or more minutes of cardio again.
  • AmberBucsis
    Options
    cardio, to warm up your muscles. Doing strenght traning first can cause injuries. All the DVDs (programs) ive tried, cardio and stretching is always first!!!
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I've always been told to do a little cardio for like 5 minutes. Then weights, then all out cardio. You do this so that your body burns the glucose in your blood for energy while lifting. Then when you do your cardio, it will go after the fat for energy and you will get better results. It makes sense to me.

I usually do cardio first since I have more energy when I first start out. But that's just me! Try it both ways for a week each and see what gives you better results!
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I like to run hard (a fast pace that is not comfortable) for 1/4 mile then lift for 5 minutes I do this pattern until I've run 2 miles. This allows my heart rate to stay high and it breaks up the lifting to give my body some time to recover. When I lift this way it is all upperbody stuff. I love it and have seen great results.
  • MSmooth747
    MSmooth747 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I find that weights first gets the heart pumping, and cardio burns more calories after that.
  • musiche
    musiche Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    To be most efficient, everything I have read says this:

Warm up for 5-10 minutes or so with light cardio or anything that elevates your heart rate and gets your blood flowing and help prevent injury.

Do your resistance training (weight lifting, body weight training, etc.) so you can max your muscle output. Working your major muscle groups first means you will get a better workout per rep and be able to achieve the 80% of your max effort you are aiming for with resistance training.

Then do your cardio workout. Your goal here is calorie expenditure, not muscle growth, so maxing your muscle output is not critical, all that matters is that your work hard and get your heart rate up to 80% of your max heart rate for the most cardiovascular benefit. Cardio does help work all the little support muscles that tend to get overlooked with resistance training, and help contribute to lean muscle mass.

Follow all of this with a cool down, (I always aim to get off the machine when my HR has dropped below 120), and a great set of stretches. Stretching AFTER a workout (when your muscles are limber, warm and full of moisture/blood to make them more pliable, this also helps prevent you from 'stiffening up' after) is where you will get the most improvement in your overall, everyday flexibility.

Of all the controversial articles I have read and information I have been given, this makes the most sense to me and has offered me the most benefits and success in the least amount of time.