Picky Eater

Options
I love to try new foods, and recently I've come to like to try to cook healthy meals. I will admit I'm not a healthy eater at all, and this sounds stupid but until recently I couldn't claim to even know how to eat healthy. I'm still trying to learn how to eat healthy. So now the problem that I'm running into is that my fiance is a VERY picky eater. I don't want to have to make 2 different meals every night for supper but what he will eat is not at all what you would consider healthy. I'm trying to figure out how I can still continue to eat halfway healthy so that I can continue to lose weight but still make foods that he will eat. He doesnt like many vegatables either. He is definatly the definition of a meat and potatoes guy, add some pasta to that equation and he's in heaven!!! Any sugestions on how I can still cook something that he will like that I can still eat so that I don't have to make a second meal for myself?

Replies

• opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Making him a meal and then making a second meal for yourself would be daft. Surely if he doesn't like what you're making, he can make his own.
  • LouiseRose92
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com has some great slimline versions of food like mozzarella sticks, chicken nuggets, pasta dishes that look yummy
  • icesk8ermom
    icesk8ermom Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My husband is NOT a vegetable eater either (fruit either). Really I have been limited to corn and broccoli for as long as I can remember! And he is probably the biggest meat and potato guy I have ever known. Once I made breakfast for dinner and he asked…..where’s the beef? I have tried to find ways to make vegetables more interesting. Here are some things I have done and he LOVES everything so far and is now beginning to eat better all the time himself.

Try replacing pasta with vegetables. (this is probably his favorite thing right now)....instead of pasta peel zucchini with a potato peeler (skin and all) and steam in a pan with some chicken broth; it takes about 5 minutes or so depending on how much you have. (I have found organic range free broth and am in love; it has amazing flavor). place the zucchini (noodles) on a plate spoon a few scoops of ricotta cheese over your "noodles" cover with spaghetti sauce and add a few homemade lean meatballs and parmesan cheese. YUM!! *** I made this this weekend and the hubby took leftovers to work for lunch and all the nurses where like....ohhhh what's that? That looks good..... (you can dice up vegetable and simmer in your spaghetti sauce also if you’d like; I add bell peppers)

How about baked broccoli? Cut the broccoli into eatable pieces and place in a baking dish; toss with olive oil cover with foil and bake for 10 minutes at 400. Remove pan from oven add a few spoonful’s of minced garlic and toss, add some chopped bell peppers (I like the baby ones so I can use a variety), spoon in several scoops of ricotta cheese cover with foil and return to oven for 15 minutes. (this can be done with cauliflower also)

Spaghetti squash? Cut the squash in half and remove seeds. Place in a microwave save dish face down and bake one half for 7 minutes. Once cooked scoop squash form the skin (caution it will be hot! I use a pot holder to handle) add a little I can't believe its not butter, garlic and some Italian seasoning and top with parmesan cheese stir and serve.

How about “anti” pasta salad? I use spaghetti squash in place of the pasta and make just like an antipasto salad…yummy!

Instead of potatoes try butternut squash……take a whole butternut squash pierce it a few times with a knife. Cook the whole thing in the microwave for about 5 minutes to make it easier to work with. (caution it will be hot) cut in half and remove seeds, peel the skin off and cut into chunks. Place in a baking dish; toss with olive oil cover with foil and bake for 10 minutes at 400. Remove pan from oven add a few spoonful’s of minced garlic, Italian seasoning and salt and pepper and toss, return to the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until tender.

Now just add some baked chicken, fish or a lean piece of beef and your set! One meal for 2…. He’ll get used to it and wonder what the heck your going to come up with next!

~Enjoy
  • hmoncel0409
    hmoncel0409 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Bump...I'm at work right now but can send you lots of recipes. I was in your exact positon not too long ago. I have learned how to cook for my picky husband and still feel great about what I'm putting on our table. Just as you said he is a meat and potatoes guy, well he is italian so he is a pasta, cheese and bread guy. My husband doesn't like vegetables much either( well he loves corn but you know it is basically a starch). There are small things you can do, like subsitute whole wheat pasta and lowfat cottage cheese in lasagna. I buy the Barilla Plus pasta with extra fiber and other nutrients and he can't even tell. I hope this helps! I feel you pain! If you want to friend me I can send you some recipes. :bigsmile: